The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-07-2021, 05:26 AM
Charter Member

Default D'Armond Tone Boss passive soundhole with Fire Eye Red Eye?

I have a gig next weekend - I haven't played a full gig in public since February 2020. And Covid has had me sell off a lot of unused gear - including a Baggs Venue DI which maybe I should have kept.

I currently have just two pre-amps: a Fire Eye Red Eye, and a X&K Pure beltclip pre-amp.

Anyways - I have two guitars, and I am trying to decide which one to gig. One is my new Epiphone Inspired By Gibson Hummingbird, which has a K&K installed. I suspect this will work well with my Fire Eye into a PA system. The other guitar plays like a dream, but has a D-Armond Tone Boss soundhole pickup.

While I suspect the D'Armond-equipped guitar WOULD HAVE sounded perfect with my old Baggs Venue DI (just as a Baggs M1 passive did at one point), I am wondering how it will do with a Fire Eye Red Eye preamp. I am also wondering how it might do with the K&K 9volt belt clip preamp.

Does anyone have any insight? I can't try it out with the PA beforehand. I would really prefer to use the D'Armond-equipped guitar, but will use the Epi if the consensus is that I am much more likely to make that work well.

EDITED - One last option I have... I do have an old Fishman Loudbox Mini. Maybe I could plug the D-Armond guitar into that, get gain and EQ, and then shoot out the back DI into the PA? More complicated - but I bet the sound would be good.

Last edited by SalFromChatham; 05-07-2021 at 05:39 AM.
Old 05-07-2021, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

Hi Sal, Im not sure this answers your question, but I briefly had the Dearmond ToneBoss pickup and used it with the Fishman Tone Deq and that worked well. So my guess is that it would work well with either of your preamps getting you the proper gain.
I just read that Noledog just started using the ToneBoss pickup, maybe you could message him for some info/tips.
Hope this helps, and good luck with gig.
Joe
Btw, I'm the one who bought your Yamaha MG06X Mixer

Last edited by jricc; 09-06-2021 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-07-2021, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Hi Sal, Im not sure this answers your question, but I had the Dearmond ToneBoss pickup and used it with the Fishman Tone Deq and that worked well. So my guess is that it would work well with either of your preamps getting you the proper gain.
I just read that Noledog just started using the ToneBoss pickup, maybe you could message him for some info/tips.
Hope this helps, and good luck with gig.
Joe
Btw, I'm the one who bought your Yamaha MG06X Mixer
Cheers brother. Maybe I shouldnt have sold off that mixer, my Fishman, My Baggs Venue... My......
Old 05-07-2021, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

* I bought my DeArmond Tone Boss a few months back to replace the M80 I had in my D18 I sold during the shutdown... I love it! It does not have the percussive aspect I liked in the M80, but it still sounds very sweet.
Though passive and has a volume wheel, the Tone Boss has enough power to the signal going direct into my Loudbox Performer and needs no external EQing or preamp, thus no battery! This won't replace my beloved Taks, but I do enjoy the punchiness of this pickup on the top end and fingerstyle sounds lovely on it too. So that's my take on this lil' mag and if you run it through a FERE, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

* Here's a lil' vid I recorded at a gig to see for myself how it sounded live. I think it needs some top end tweaking or maybe it's just my iPhone 11 because that's all I used to record with. My D18 has Ernie Ball 80/20 mediums and both guitar and vox are direct to my Loudbox Performer with a touch of the amp's onboard delay. Not great, but usable for some gigs.

Last edited by noledog; 05-07-2021 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-08-2021, 04:05 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Noledog,

I will report back....
Old 05-08-2021, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
* I bought my DeArmond Tone Boss a few months back to replace the M80 I had in my D18 I sold during the shutdown... I love it! It does not have the percussive aspect I liked in the M80, but it still sounds very sweet.
Though passive and has a volume wheel, the Tone Boss has enough power to the signal going direct into my Loudbox Performer and needs no external EQing or preamp, thus no battery! This won't replace my beloved Taks, but I do enjoy the punchiness of this pickup on the top end and fingerstyle sounds lovely on it too. So that's my take on this lil' mag and if you run it through a FERE, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

* Here's a lil' vid I recorded at a gig to see for myself how it sounded live. I think it needs some top end tweaking or maybe it's just my iPhone 11 because that's all I used to record with. My D18 has Ernie Ball 80/20 mediums and both guitar and vox are direct to my Loudbox Performer with a touch of the amp's onboard delay. Not great, but usable for some gigs.

Fishman should have you in all their marketing materials. You have definitely mastered that amp. The pickup sounds great.

Never cared much for that song… until I heard you do it! Really great job!
Old 05-08-2021, 06:22 AM

I have a Red Eye, and all my magnetic pu equipped guitars sound good or better through it. Can't imagine why your D'Armond pu wouldn't sound good too.
Old 05-08-2021, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

Delete post

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 05-08-2021, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Sounds great noledog! Nice version of Tin Man too.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

Old 05-08-2021, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Fishman should have you in all their marketing materials. You have definitely mastered that amp. The pickup sounds great.

Never cared much for that song… until I heard you do it! Really great job!
Thank you Marty for all the nice comments! Fishman has been really good to me. They know of my videos and I've used their amps for years.
Recently I had two of my Performers go down within a week of each other after doing 1000+ on each of them individually. So I sent them back and they couldn't fix one of them and they sent me a brand new 2020 Performer with Bluetooth at no charge with an additional set of speakers for my repaired one at no charge as well since I go through a set of speakers every year or so because of the heat, humidity, salt air and the beating these amps take, they are rugged! I've taken them apart many times and know them inside out.
Fishman customer service is top-shelf and have always sent me free speakers and parts. So I can't say enough about Mike and Derrick at Fishman, they have been so good to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Sounds great noledog! Nice version of Tin Man too.
Thank you kind sir!
Old 05-09-2021, 04:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnewsom View Post
I have a Red Eye, and all my magnetic pu equipped guitars sound good or better through it. Can't imagine why your D'Armond pu wouldn't sound good too.
I actually tried the D’Armond guitar through the FERE, as well as a K&K pure beltclip preamp, into a Fishman Loudbox Mini. The K&K boosted signal more than the FERE did.

If decided I am trying my friends spare Zoom AC-2 later, to see if that works ok.

I am tempted though.... to bring the Loudbox Mini, and then output from the back into the PA. Will it output the exact sound? I.e. reverb and EQ? Or just a dry version for the PA’s mixer to color at that point?
Old 05-09-2021, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post
I actually tried the D’Armond guitar through the FERE, as well as a K&K pure beltclip preamp, into a Fishman Loudbox Mini. The K&K boosted signal more than the FERE did.

If decided I am trying my friends spare Zoom AC-2 later, to see if that works ok.

I am tempted though.... to bring the Loudbox Mini, and then output from the back into the PA. Will it output the exact sound? I.e. reverb and EQ? Or just a dry version for the PA’s mixer to color at that point?
Hi Sal
The mix Di out is Post EQ. I would think that would include reverb as well, but can't be sure.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

Old 05-09-2021, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Thanks guys
Old 05-10-2021, 06:49 AM

Quote:

That sounds rather nice! I hate to pry but I’m curious why you sold your M80? You were such an expert activist for its quality that I was surprised you parted with it. However, I have definitely done the same myself 😂
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 05-10-2021, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
That sounds rather nice! I hate to pry but I’m curious why you sold your M80? You were such an expert activist for its quality that I was surprised you parted with it. However, I have definitely done the same myself ��
Well Erik it was out of necessity during the shutdown and music is my livelihood. So I sold it and most everything I had like pedals, pedal board, PA speaker etc... except the essentials to perform with once the shutdown was lifted, (which at that time, we didn't know when that would be)...thankfully we have a wonderful governor and we re-opened sooner than later. I also did FB shows and folks were calling me to do house concerts and inviting 10 to 20 people; folks were wanting live music, it's a big thing here in these parts. I also did Zoom guitar lessons. Once I got rollin' again I wanted to get a mag for my D18 again, but did not want to spend the $$$ on the M80 even though I still think it is a wonderful mag. On a personal note, I was also going through a divorce unfortunately and had to move during all this which compounded things. I thank God that things worked out and I would still recommend the M80 to those who have the patience to cultivate it's capabilities; it is especially good for fingerstyle and jazz. I also think the M80 sounds particularly good in an all mahogany, 000-15 style guitar. In fact if I ever get another 000-18, I would get an M80 vs a UST or K&K.

Last edited by noledog; 05-10-2021 at 10:08 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification