The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-05-2021, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
That’s very strange. I have tried the SL, full Anthem and Lyric on insanely loud stages and outdoor festivals and never once had feedback. Not even a touch of feedback. I am talking 15” monitors (four) right in front of us at fairly loud volumes and nothing. I am at a loss for why so many people you know, are having feedback issues. I am not an Anthem lover by any means so this isn’t me trying to praise the system!
Maybe it's your guitar, who knows why pickups react differently in different guitars.

I had mine in one of my small bodied Australian Blackwood 000 guitars, one in a full side Parkwood Dread (mahogany back, spruce top), and one in my J45.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Maybe it's your guitar, who knows why pickups react differently in different guitars.

I had mine in one of my small bodied Australian Blackwood 000 guitars, one in a full side Parkwood Dread (mahogany back, spruce top), and one in my J45.
Yeah it's difficult to say. However, did you get feedback in all of those guitars or just one or two? If it was all three then that's odd, but I guess any pickup can feedback. It's funny, the worst feedback I have ever gotten was with a Fishman Matrix. I have never actually had it while playing though, it always comes when I put my guitar down on a noisy stage and forget to hit "mute" on my pedal. One of the strings will just decide to start vibrating and we all know what that sounds like!
Old 05-05-2021, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Yeah it's difficult to say. However, did you get feedback in all of those guitars or just one or two? If it was all three then that's odd, but I guess any pickup can feedback. It's funny, the worst feedback I have ever gotten was with a Fishman Matrix. I have never actually had it while playing though, it always comes when I put my guitar down on a noisy stage and forget to hit "mute" on my pedal. One of the strings will just decide to start vibrating and we all know what that sounds like!
All three guitars fed back with the least being the smaller Parkwood which has the solid blackwood top, back, and sides.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:49 PM

Quote:
All three guitars fed back with the least problematic being the smaller Parkwood which has the solid blackwood top, back, and sides.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

I have anthems in three Martin Dreads, I've had two Collings OM's (OM1A and OM2HG with Anthems) and I installed an Anthem in a Gibson J45 Cutaway.

None of them were problematic regarding feedback. In fact, they were some of the most feedback resistant pickups I've ever used. I play solo and duo gigs regularly. At times I need to be mindful of proximity to my Bose L1 Compact or L1 Pro, but with proper placement, I can always make it work with minimal fuss.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 05-06-2021, 09:05 AM

Back to the original question, the OP mentioned that the low E string is the string that feeds back. The Anthem has a crossover - microphone above a certain frequency and UST at lower frequencies. For the SL, that is somewhere around the B string.

Anyway, if the E string is feeding back, it seems very likely that the problem is the UST. Personally, I had the same problem with almost the same guitar, but the Lyric, which is only the microphone, did not feed back. I think I could have fixed the Anthem by extending the UST into a second hole past the treble side. That way, the saddle would not be resting on the blob at the end of the UST on the treble side and directly on the UST on the bass side.
Furch D24 SR 12 string
Rickenbacker 330w 6 string
Old 05-06-2021, 10:12 AM

Check to see where/how the Trumic piece is installed. I've seen luthiers put that thing in places where they don't belong.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
anthem, furch, lr baggs anthem