The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-24-2021, 05:09 AM
Charter Member

Default Anybody put nylon strings on a standard x20?

I almost bought a nylon string x20, but opted for the steel string. Now I find I have need for a nylon string for a while. Figured with a new nut I could put on some ball end nylons.

I know the necks are different and am not worried about that. Anybody know whether there are differences in the body as well? A glance inside my steel string with a mirror doesn’t show me any obvious bracing that would be different. Looks like if they use the same molds the box would be identical, but that’s a guess.

Thanks for any thoughts.

I’ll ask emerald as well, but thought somebody here might know.
Old 04-24-2021, 06:01 AM

The difference is the thickness of the top. Nylon strings don't have enough tension to properly move a top with the standard thickness.

And even with that modification my nylon string Emeralds still don't respond well to my rather light touch. I suppose they would do better with powerful playing styles like flamenco or gypsy jazz.

IMO Emerald nylon string guitars could benefit from an even lighter top, and perhaps the whole body, than they have now. Unfortunately Emerald won't do that.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 04-24-2021, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

I tried it on an X7.....waste of time and money, a BIG fail, it sounded horrible. I wouldn't do it if I were you.
Old 04-24-2021, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
I tried it on an X7.....waste of time and money, a BIG fail, it sounded horrible. I wouldn't do it if I were you.
Same here. My X7 sounds great with steel strings; worse than weak when I put on a set of folk nylon strings with balls. That was a short daliance with nylon. Inexpensive to try it on the X7. More expensive when I tried it with a Yamaha Silent Guitar with nylon strings. Short stay before I moved it on. I'll happily stay with my steel strings.
Old 04-24-2021, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the replies. I was afraid if that. I’ll stand pat I guess.
Old 04-24-2021, 11:55 AM
Guest 928

ssj;

Have you played nylon strung guitars and looking for a keeper? Or, are you looking for an overnight sensation? If your need is momentary, an inexpensive wooden guitar might offer what you need.
Old 04-24-2021, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Although I usually play steel strings I have a nylon string guitar that is, like most of my gear, better than I am. Someone wants to buy it. But then I would likely replace it, and the one I really want is the Emerald, having played it before I bought my X20.

I was hoping I could simply do a nut/string swap and get close, but I gather that is not the case.

I already knew that didn't work on wooden guitars, but figured this was a slight possibility as the carbon fiber is molded, strong, and might not have obvious build or bracing differences. Sadly, not so.

Ah well. Worth a shot.
Old 04-24-2021, 03:10 PM
Guest 928

There was one CF guitar designed to handle both steel and nylon strings. I forget the name, but it had interchangeable necks and supposedly was a be-all do-all instrument. But it does not seem to have been particularly successful.
Old 04-24-2021, 05:20 PM
Guest 928

You might also want to take a look at the Rainsong parlor nylon string. It's a crossover that makes it pretty easy to go from steel to nylon and it's a nice sounding instrument. They can be found once in a while on this forums advertisements and on Reverb.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber