The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-03-2021, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
If I didn't know any better I would have thought that was a harp guitar! Excellent song philjs!
Thank you. My X30 IS a baritone tuned to the "DADGAD" equivalent of B to B standard, that is AEADEA, but it uses a 4-string capo on the high strings at the 2nd fret so the open string tuning is AEBEF#B. The bass A string is almost, but not quite, as low as the low G of my harp...and I bought the harp because I do love the sound of a baritone! A Synergy harp may be in my future (if they ever get my X20 finished) but playing a harp is a whole different instrument than a guitar...

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 04-03-2021, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjs View Post
Thank you. My X30 IS a baritone tuned to the "DADGAD" equivalent of B to B standard, that is AEADEA, but it uses a 4-string capo on the high strings at the 2nd fret so the open string tuning is AEBEF#B. The bass A string is almost, but not quite, as low as the low G of my harp...and I bought the harp because I do love the sound of a baritone! A Synergy harp may be in my future (if they ever get my X20 finished) but playing a harp is a whole different instrument than a guitar...

Phil
So being as your from the same region, are you neighbors with Don Ross by chance ?
Old 04-03-2021, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
So being as your from the same region, are you neighbors with Don Ross by chance ?
He's about 20 minutes away...is that neighbours? I studied with Don in the early 90s when he lived on Huron St. in Toronto and, yes, he was (still is) a major influence on my playing and writing.

Phil

Old 04-07-2021, 07:28 PM

Phil, that fan fret X30 baritone wrapped around me like a favorite afghan. The similarity to my fan fret X30 in DADGAD is very interesting, like another note on the same chords. I love the definition, articulation and balance of these fan fret X30's. I bet an X30 7 string would be magical too. Be sure and post when your CD's done, I'll take a copy.
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 04-07-2021, 07:34 PM

Quote:
He's about 20 minutes away...is that neighbours? I studied with Don in the early 90s when he lived on Huron St. in Toronto and, yes, he was (still is) a major influence on my playing and writing.

Phil
How interesting. I'm a huge Don Ross and Bruce Cockburn fan. I thought I heard some of Don's "flavour" in there a bit. Nice playing Phil.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Phil, I listed to your SoundCloud file with my Airpods in - felt like I was inside your guitar! What a beautiful, deep, rich tone! Masterful playing! Very nice.
Old 04-08-2021, 07:20 AM

Thank you, all (and apologies to the OP for bogarting his thread!).

jwellsy, I'm hoping to get the same flavour out of my X20 "DADGAD special" with its 25" to 26" fan. I'm happy, also, to report that it's done and should be shipped next week.

steelvibe, yeah, the resemblance of my compositions to Don's (and other players that I admire, listen to, and have learned from) is kind of unavoidable, just a case of life imitating art. But, hey, I could do much, much worse...

Captain Jim, thank you. It is a lovely, deep and rich sound and I'm very happy with the recordings for this album. The X30 is the first acoustic guitar that I've ever had that could feed back, acoustically!

Phil

Old 04-08-2021, 09:32 AM

Quote:
I'm hoping to get the same flavour out of my X20 "DADGAD special" with its 25" to 26" fan. I'm happy, also, to report that it's done and should be shipped next week.
Please post a NGD thread when the new X20 gets in. My fan fret X10 is certainly a different flavor than my fan fret X30. The ff X10 is really nice, but it's just not in the same league as the ff X30. I use the X10 mainly for parlor duty. The natural resonance of the X20 should be nicely enhanced by fan frets. I suspect it'll sound related to Barri.
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 04-16-2021, 08:49 PM

I ordered my custom Emerald 8 string on June 15, 2020 and was told by customer service that it would be 5 months. It's been 10 months and according to the most recent update, it might be ready to ship in a few more weeks.

Last edited by crazymilo12; 04-17-2021 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymilo12 View Post
I ordered my custom Emerald 8 string on June 15, 2020 and was told by customer service that it would be 5 months. It's been 10 months and according to the most recent update, it might be ready to ship in a few more weeks.
I feel for you...the waiting is the hardest part.

I was told, two weeks ago (when Emerald was shut down for the week after Easter), that my X20 was ready. But the two weeks has slipped by and they haven't invoiced the balance + shipping payment yet (and, based on prior experience, I expect it'll be a week or two after that before it actually ships). Wednesday of next week will finish an 8-month wait and slip into the 9th month...

This seems appropriate:

Phil

Old 04-17-2021, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

They quoted 2 months twice to me recently. Wanted a fairly basic x20-12 and would have been happy with a stock one, if there was one, but someone snagged the last stock model a couple months ago.

Like someone up-thread, my x20-6 was ready and sat around about 2 weeks before it actually left. Maybe in QA, maybe just napping, but it seemed to take forever to get moving.

Like the old cornball Paul Masson "Emerald Dry" commercial of the 70s seems to apply to Emerald guitars... some things can't be rushed... we'll sell no wine before its time.

Just not "its time" yet. Maybe they just have a more casual relationship with the clock and calendar over there, i.e. mañana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSs6DcA6dFI

Last edited by redi; 04-17-2021 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:31 PM

I don’t mind waiting for however long they say it’ll take. What’s hard is having them say end of the month 2 months in a row after the quoted time.
Emerald X-20
Fender Tele Gatton model
Old 04-17-2021, 07:02 PM

Mine was done a month before the time they said it would be, which I was really pleased about. It's the 5 week shipping time with no tracking info that miffed me a little bit. I wasn't given the option of the "upgraded" shipping with tracking, but I'd highly recommend that to anybody who orders.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

Before I ended up buying a stock model, I had reached out to Davy (he answered the questions I left on the website) when I had considered a custom, and at the end of March he was projecting 2.5 months. I’ve continued to chat with him (seems like a really nice guy) and now he says they are down to 2 months. Just speculation, but perhaps the expansion they were doing is starting to pay dividends.
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 04-19-2021, 11:29 AM

I was working with Chloe and put the specs and details together with multiple emails through her. I believe she left in late October/ early November, but never knew why. The timely response and friendly customer service haven't quite been the same since she left.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber