The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-20-2021, 06:34 PM

First, terrific recordings ! Enjoyed very much. Quick question for you on the OC818. Not sure what you are running the mic into, but I recently purchased one and using it with a Steinberg UR816C. For a solo acoustic recording I’m finding I need to set the gain on the interface at 80% which feels very high, and that’s only getting me to the -16 to -12 range strumming with a pick, maybe 10” away. I believe the Steinberg has a respectable amount of gain on tap, so wondering if you are finding the OC818 “gain hungry” in your set up ?
Old 04-22-2021, 05:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlathbury View Post
First, terrific recordings ! Enjoyed very much. Quick question for you on the OC818. Not sure what you are running the mic into, but I recently purchased one and using it with a Steinberg UR816C. For a solo acoustic recording I’m finding I need to set the gain on the interface at 80% which feels very high, and that’s only getting me to the -16 to -12 range strumming with a pick, maybe 10” away. I believe the Steinberg has a respectable amount of gain on tap, so wondering if you are finding the OC818 “gain hungry” in your set up ?
Thanks for the positive feedback!

Compared to the KM184 I’ll pair the 818 with, I believe I have to boost the gain on the OC818 input just a bit to get the recording levels equal if both mics are approximately the same distance from the guitar. That can also be addressed by placing the 818 about an inch closer to the guitar. I’ve been recording with a spaced pair setup with the mics 6-8 inches from the guitar. An inch here or there is significant with either mic.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 04-22-2021, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Really nice recording, playing, and guitar tones. Just to confirm, which mic is on the left channel and which mic is on the right channel?

I needed to raise the level on the left channel about 2.2dB, compared to my usual monitoring settings, to get the L-R channel amplitudes balanced for me; but that could simply be my hearing.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 04-22-2021, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Here’s a 184 pointed at the 12th fret and the OC818 pointed just behind the bridge on the lower bout on my Doerr Trinity. I’m quite pleased how this came out and for spaced pair setup, this could be my new “standard”.

Will try M-S next.

What effects are you using here? Among other things, it sounds like you're using a tape plugin with the wobble and saturation settings all the way up.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Really nice recording, playing, and guitar tones. Just to confirm, which mic is on the left channel and which mic is on the right channel?

I needed to raise the level on the left channel about 2.2dB, compared to my usual monitoring settings, to get the L-R channel amplitudes balanced for me; but that could simply be my hearing.
184 was the left channel and 818 was the right channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
What effects are you using here? Among other things, it sounds like you're using a tape plugin with the wobble and saturation settings all the way up.
Only EQ was high pass filter set at 60Hz and I used a preset reverb called HedgesVerb from the Neoverb reverb plugin (Izotope).
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD