The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-20-2017, 08:53 AM

I don't see a blend control for the modeled sound. I never use more that a touch of this effect or it sounds too processed. Usually it's around 30%. I also love the sound of a live mic pointed at the soundhole and blended in at about that percentage with the undersaddle pickup. That's the sound I am going for with a body resonance box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2017, 09:22 AM

Zoom missed the mark. I owned and really liked the A3. They could have really taken a chunk of the market but now won't.

The box needs:

1) Real parametric EQ.
2) A mix knob.
3) A 48v mic input.
4) And it needs to be quieter than the A3.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:31 AM

Looks like the beginner version of the A-3. I love the A-3 and it only colors sound if you want it to. The A-3 is quite the very useful tool. I know of several session musicians who use this. It surprises me until I hear them talk about the A-3 and their use of it. Its quick, easy, portable and very clean in tone. I think Zoom really hit it out of the park with this product.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 05-20-2017, 08:52 PM

Looks a $199 price point.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ZAC2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-20-2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
Zoom missed the mark. I owned and really liked the A3. They could have really taken a chunk of market but now won't.

The box needs:

1) Real parametric EQ.
2) A mix knob.
3) A 48v mic input.
4) And it needs to be quieter than the A3.
+1 Big miss in my book to, and BTW, i was still waiting for the A3's update, rats !
It has the same chip as the G3, that got updated firmware and is now able to have 6 effects.
The A3 still has 3 only. Actually 2, since the fx #1 HAS to be some acoustic modeling, which i barely uses anyway since it is most of the times too subtle and basically sounds like EQ.

I still use my A3 everyday: dual input, feedback suppressor, analog knobs EQ on the fly, boost, etc ...

Regarding the noise, and in a live (not recording) situation, the noise problem almost disappears if you use the right power supply (instead of daisy chain) in a healthy electricity environment.
It has its separate electric outlet in my rack and it makes a world of differences. Still a bit of noise but almost unnoticeable.

Last edited by xuoham; 05-20-2017 at 11:23 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Looks a $199 price point.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ZAC2

Hi,

I donīt get it. Thatīs not really cheaper than an A3, which gives so much more. Why?

Sit down for an hour or two, program one good patch for every guitar you use live and never hassle with the UI again.

cu

erniecaster
Old 05-21-2017, 06:43 AM

One miss here is an effects loop. They make good stuff though in my opinion. This seems a little on the high side, price wise.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erniecaster View Post
Hi,

I donīt get it. Thatīs not really cheaper than an A3, which gives so much more. Why?

Sit down for an hour or two, program one good patch for every guitar you use live and never hassle with the UI again.

cu

erniecaster
I totally agree, patch for each guitar. Look at all the A3 can do? If the new one sounds similar? Sometimes listening can water down a product as well. Give me all the knobs!
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 05-21-2017, 06:57 AM

The Zoom folks must think they have a good handle on the modeling thing, but it just doesn't make sense for the AC-2 to not have some way of dialing back the modeled signal's ambiance to accommodate the user's taste in tone, or to compensate for especially "live" rooms which may be encountered.

It also makes no sense that there appears to be no way to bypass the modeling section and still have the use of the pedal's other features (preamp, EQ, tuner, mute, boost, DI).

The all-in-one volume/gain knob seems like a bad idea as well. If the volume/gain knob needs to be set low to keep a hot input signal from clipping, it will be difficult to fine-tune the volume level. (The manual recommends setting the volume/gain knob at a "reference level" of noon for active pickups, and to reduce the volume level at the pickup if clipping occurs. What about active pickups with no onboard volume control?)

Regarding the A3's often-mentioned noise problem, I've never encountered that problem using rechargeable batteries. Perhaps that's a possible fix for the noise problem (albeit, an inconvenient fix for some).

Last edited by guitaniac; 05-21-2017 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:36 AM

Looking at the manual and it is less than crystal clear, it seems the three position pickup switch off position is used to disable modeling.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 05-21-2017, 07:40 AM

Default New Zoom AC-2 Acoustic Creator Pedal

Frankly, I think they got it right. My chief complaint with the A3 was that it was too complicated to program and did too much. I wonder how many retail returns they accepted based on this fact.

I suspect most players do not use the additional effects in the A3 and were frustrated with the initial programming. At least, I was. I sold mine for that reason, even though it sounded good. They will continue to sell the A3 for those who want it. Again, it's a good product.

I also suspect that they looked at the success of the TC Helicon Body Rez pedal and decided they needed to simplify. What they came up with is the perfect balance, in my opinion, of control and simplicity. DI box simplicity with essential tone features.

I do agree that the price is too high. It should be at the $150 price point, based on the competition. $200 puts it with the some of the high end direct boxes.

Lastly, my experience with the A3 is that you don't need a wet/dry knob for the modeling effect. It's not that severe to start with.

I'm eager to get one of these and give it a go. I'd like to see how it performs in comparison to the TC Play Acoustic.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Looking at the manual and it is less than crystal clear, it seems the three position pickup switch off position is used to disable modeling.
That was my hope when I saw the "off" option, but the manual seems to imply that some tone shaping is used for the piezo and mag pickups, and that the "off" option for the AC-2 is the same as the "flat" option on the A3.

To quote the manual, the OFF switch position "turns off the pickup adjustment function".

Last edited by guitaniac; 05-21-2017 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
That was my hope when I saw the "off" option, but the manual seems to imply that some tone shaping is used for the piezo and mag pickups, and that the "off" option for the AC-2 is the same as the "flat" option on the A3.

That's my take. They apply a filter of some sort with that switch. I think they are using IR convolution (to mimic the sound of a mic'ed guitar) for their enhancement (think Tondexter), and I suspect that switch applies a filter that shapes the response to match the slightly different impulse from mag or piezo pickups.

You can probably tell that I'm very excited about this product. If it is using IR, and includes reverb, EQ, and boost, it's going to be a great value, and of great utility.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
That's my take. They apply a filter of some sort with that switch. I think they are using IR convolution (to mimic the sound of a mic'ed guitar) for their enhancement (think Tondexter), and I suspect that switch applies a filter that shapes the response to match the slightly different impulse from mag or piezo pickups.

You can probably tell that I'm very excited about this product. If it is using IR, and includes reverb, EQ, and boost, it's going to be a great value, and of great utility.

If that "off" switch actually turned off the modeling, I have to think that the manual would be very clear about that.

As for the marketability of the AC-2, I expect that Zoom knows their market way better than I do. They may well have great success with selling this product. In terms of functionality, however, the AC-2 is missing some pretty basic stuff.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
If that "off" switch actually turned off the modeling, I have to think that the manual would be very clear about that.

As for the marketability of the AC-2, I expect that Zoom knows their market way better than I do. They may well have great success with selling this product. In terms of functionality, however, the AC-2 is missing some pretty basic stuff.

I don't think the off switch disables the modeling. I suspect it disables an additional filter applied to correct the response for each pickup type. For instance, I bet guitars with Trance, ES2, Baggs Anthem, Lyric, etc will improve with the witch turned off, because they don't need the filter.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification