The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-23-2021, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
A FRIEND OF MINE HAD A CAT DIE IN THE FENDERWELL OF HIS SUV. EVENTUALLY THE ODOR BECAME OBVIOUS AND MY FRIEND DID EVERYTHING HE COULD TO ELIMINATE THE ODOR, INCLUDING RUNNING WATER THROUGH THE FENDER FOR A WHOLE DAY. THE ODOR REMAINED. HE FINALLY SOLD THE VEHICLE.

MAYBE THAT EXPLAINS SOME OF THE EARLY cf GUITAR VIDEOS OF PEOPLE SWIMING WITH THEIR GUITARS. JUST PARTICIPATING HERE..........I'M SURE THERE ARE OTHER MORE COMPELLING CAT STORIES.
Should have done a CAT scan.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-23-2021, 05:16 PM
Guest 928

Sometimes such a scan reveals something catastrophic, it's enough to make you catatonic. We're having fun now...........
Old 04-23-2021, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
A FRIEND OF MINE HAD A CAT DIE IN THE FENDERWELL OF HIS SUV. EVENTUALLY THE ODOR BECAME OBVIOUS AND MY FRIEND DID EVERYTHING HE COULD TO ELIMINATE THE ODOR, INCLUDING RUNNING WATER THROUGH THE FENDER FOR A WHOLE DAY. THE ODOR REMAINED. HE FINALLY SOLD THE VEHICLE.

MAYBE THAT EXPLAINS SOME OF THE EARLY cf GUITAR VIDEOS OF PEOPLE SWIMING WITH THEIR GUITARS. JUST PARTICIPATING HERE..........I'M SURE THERE ARE OTHER MORE COMPELLING CAT STORIES.
My best buddy Rufus was telling me: NOTHING about your story is appealing... Oh, and: "People smell funny, but I like your guitars."

Old 04-23-2021, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
My best buddy Rufus was telling me: NOTHING about your story is appealing... Oh, and: "People smell funny, but I like your guitars."

Rufus needs a shave.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-23-2021, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

That's not a cat ! It's a baby lion. But very beautiful.
Old 04-23-2021, 09:50 PM

I should probably mention that my RainSong was fresh from the factory when I got it (and the factory was only 15-20 minutes away). The smell was chemical, but not unpleasant, and as I mentioned before, went away in a couple of weeks.
Old 04-24-2021, 11:58 AM
Guest 928

Rufus is sure hard on his toys.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Now that I've had the chance to sniff the soundholes of the RainSong, McPherson, and Emerald, here are my crude observations.

- RainSong - the most pungent of the 3 - a fairly strong chemical smell may be coming from the case, but since I case all of my instruments when not in use, the intensity has only gone down slightly since I got it in early March

- Emerald - the least pungent - it is a very faint new car like smell

- McPherson - not very pungent, close to the Emerald in intensity - more of a plastic like smell.
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 05-26-2021, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Timely post. I just got my new Rainsong Nashville yesterday and the first thing I noticed when I pulled it was the nasty chemical smell. Definitely some outgassing going on there. Not sure if it's the guitar or the case but I'm sure it will go away pretty quick since it won't see the case much anyway.
Old 05-26-2021, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Timely post. I just got my new Rainsong Nashville yesterday and the first thing I noticed when I pulled it was the nasty chemical smell. Definitely some outgassing going on there. Not sure if it's the guitar or the case but I'm sure it will go away pretty quick since it won't see the case much anyway.
Pretty sure it's the case...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-26-2021, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Pretty sure it's the case...
Totally agree - after owning several Martins that came in the thermoplastic cases, the cheaper wooden case, or the Geib cases, I found I could predict what they would smell like before getting them - and I was right 100%. The plastic cases had a glue odor, the cheap wooden cases had a musty vanilla, and the Geibs had pungent Yankee candle like scent. The tone wood didn’t matter.
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 05-27-2021, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
Totally agree - after owning several Martins that came in the thermoplastic cases, the cheaper wooden case, or the Geib cases, I found I could predict what they would smell like before getting them - and I was right 100%. The plastic cases had a glue odor, the cheap wooden cases had a musty vanilla, and the Geibs had pungent Yankee candle like scent. The tone wood didn’t matter.
It's definitely the case! I hung the guitar on the wall overnight and moved the case to the storage room. This morning, no small from the guitar, storage room stinks!
Old 05-27-2021, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's definitely the case! I hung the guitar on the wall overnight and moved the case to the storage room. This morning, no small from the guitar, storage room stinks!
Great to know! I'll leave the case open for a couple days and let it air out a bit. I actually really like the RainsSong cases otherwise - they aren't as nice as the Martin Geib cases, but it isn't too far off.
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 05-27-2021, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

I much prefer gig bags for carbon fiber guitars. I just wish that Rainsong offered one.
Old 05-27-2021, 12:45 PM

Quote:
I much prefer gig bags for carbon fiber guitars. I just wish that Rainsong offered one.
Hey Scott, the Access small guitar bag always fit my Shorty and Emerald X20 perfectly, in fact I think it was in your house Great quality and holds up to travel. IIRC I have the stage II and it was plenty of protection.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber