The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 04-13-2021, 07:16 AM

Default Mandolin Playing With Band

I'm just a beginner on Mandolin and I finally got past the "Ow this really hurts" stage. I've played piano and guitar most of my life, but piano is my main instrument. I've been practicing Mandolin the standard way, with a pick and YouTube and Tabs. But I like the feel of fingerstyle on my guitar, though I'm not very good at it. I've been practicing fingerstyle on the Mandolin and I like it. I've watched people play solo fingerstyle Mandolin on YouTube but I'd like to see how you would play in a band setting. So far, I haven't found any examples. Only solos. Any suggestions?
~Bob
Old 04-13-2021, 09:00 AM

I have played mandolin in bands, in several bluegrass bands and in a rock band. There are two main problems you will encounter. The biggest one is volume. Finger style is objectively softer than plectrum playing, and you will need to think about amplification, either a mic or a pickup, to have any chance of being heard.

A mic sounds more like a mandolin, but it’s a pain to EQ, and you either have to have a clip on mic (which is a pain to attach and keep attached) or get very good at playing very close to a mic stand (which is also a pain).

A pickup solves the volume problem, but then your mandolin doesn’t really sound like a mandolin anymore. At that point, you might as well play guitar.

This is related to the second problem. The mandolin only has 4 notes of polyphony, so it doesn’t really sub well for rhythm guitar or keys, and it isn’t as expressive as say, a guitar. You can slide and tremolo, but it’s hard to bend notes or add vibrato. Again, I say hard, not impossible.

I know this isn’t exactly the question you asked, but I think it is why you don’t see a lot of finger style mandolin. The lack of volume, polyphony and expressiveness makes it a challenging style on an already limited instrument.

Each of these problems can be addressed, but you really need to be committed to playing the mandolin in order not to just go, “The heck with this, I am just going to play guitar.” I played mandolin as my main instrument for a couple of years in bluegrass bands, but after trying and largely failing to make a mandolin fit in a rock context, I just gave up and played a Strat.

But again, the problems can be overcome if you are really committed to the sound, I just think most people are not that committed to playing mandolin, and find that playing another instrument is just flat out easier.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

an interesting idea that wouldn't interest me at all! However, I have a K & K twin in my mandolin that does a great job and might be a solution for you. The pickup came in mine but I have to assume it's not hard for a good tech to install one. If yours is an oval hole, much easier!
Old 04-13-2021, 09:09 AM

I should have noted that I am only interested in recording. I just want to see if there are mandolinists playing in a band fingerstyle so I could study their styles. When we record, we have bass guitar, acoustic guitar, tenor ukulele (low G), banjolele (low G) and mandolin. Might be adding harmonica in the future.

Thanks!
~Bob
Old 04-13-2021, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Just started my Mandolin journey this year too, and I wouldn't dream of trying to play this fingerstyle. Good luck to you on this approach.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:00 AM

When I say fingerstyle, it's very simple, just background stuff for vocals. Nothing very tough or intricate. Same kind of background sounds Mandolinists make when using chucks and stuff.
~Bob
Old 04-20-2021, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

In any acoustic group without a drummer, the mandolin is primarily the snare drum. If you are going to rake the strings, you'll just be less effective at your roll. Recording at home, do as you wish.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 04-21-2021, 07:30 PM

Can't say I have seen too many players using the fingerstyle approach on mandolin. I mean I do it at home when I am just lightly jamming on my own, but it's not something I do live. If you are just recording then I would just do what feels right. You can easily eq what you play to sit in the mix.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:02 PM

If you're playing for recordings and multi-tracking the parts, you can do whatever works for you. But it's no accident that fingerstyle mandolin in an ensemble setting is almost nonexistent; it's neither projective or particularly practical.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 04-22-2021, 07:11 AM

I'm not limiting myself. I'm also learning to use a plectrum and trying to play conventionally. I just happen to like to use my fingers instead of a pick. Thanks for all the answers. Everything is a science experiment.
~Bob
Old 04-23-2021, 05:48 AM

Just listen to much of Fairport Convention.... Dave Swarbrick was best known for traditional folk violin and mando, but much of Fairport's repertoire wasn't just jigs and reels. Listen to how Swarb uses mando to great effect on a song like Poor Will and the Joly Hangman, or on many of ythe tracks on the epic Babacombe Lee album. The interplay he achieves with Richard Thompson is awesome - and on stage they were spine-chilling with that interplay.
Swarb is deeply missed my those who knew his work
Old 04-23-2021, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray175 View Post
Just listen to much of Fairport Convention.... Dave Swarbrick was best known for traditional folk violin and mando, but much of Fairport's repertoire wasn't just jigs and reels. Listen to how Swarb uses mando to great effect on a song like Poor Will and the Joly Hangman, or on many of ythe tracks on the epic Babacombe Lee album. The interplay he achieves with Richard Thompson is awesome - and on stage they were spine-chilling with that interplay. Swarb is deeply missed my those who knew his work
Thanks I will check them out!
~Bob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments