The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-11-2021, 02:37 PM

I converted over to Square Foot gardening a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Since moving to Florida over 4 years ago I haven't had a garden however.

As a kid we had over an acre of garden and we canned stuff till the basement was full of Mason jars. Our family of seven ate pretty good from that garden.
Old 05-11-2021, 05:50 PM

When we had a yard, we used to get most of our vegetables out of the garden from about may to October (plus a little at each end; I wasn't a great winter gardener). Now down to an apartment balcony, but still manage to squeeze in a lot of perennial herbs, flowers, and in the summer annuals like basil, a couple of tomato plants, and half a dozen or so sweet and hot peppers. Got to have the basics of salsa and pesto close at hand.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

Default Who has a vegetable and flower garden?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRon View Post
I converted over to Square Foot gardening a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Since moving to Florida over 4 years ago I haven't had a garden however.

As a kid we had over an acre of garden and we canned stuff till the basement was full of Mason jars. Our family of seven ate pretty good from that garden.

Ron,
You are probably in Zone 8 and can grow just about anything there in south Florida. I’d be tempted to plant all types of fruit bearing trees and shrubs, space permitting.

The Square Foot system certainly optimizes the work to production ratio. Space efficiency is also a big plus.

In what state was your childhood garden? Over an acre of garden requires some serious commitment!

Last edited by TRose; 05-11-2021 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldLefty View Post
When we had a yard, we used to get most of our vegetables out of the garden from about may to October (plus a little at each end; I wasn't a great winter gardener). Now down to an apartment balcony, but still manage to squeeze in a lot of perennial herbs, flowers, and in the summer annuals like basil, a couple of tomato plants, and half a dozen or so sweet and hot peppers. Got to have the basics of salsa and pesto close at hand.

Salsa and pesto are priorities for us as well.

My sister makes vast quantities of pesto and then freezes cubes of if it in old ice cube trays and bags them up for safe storage to be used later during the winter months. She is a pesto hoarder.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic