The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-07-2019, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Default Armrest adhesive tape

I have a John Pearse armrest which I have moved around to a few guitars and the adhesive tape is pretty much shot. Does anyone know what adhesive is generally used for these? I think it might have been 3M branded...but the description on Pearse's website says it does not negatively impact the nitro finish.

Thanks!

Last edited by PeteD; 12-07-2019 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:17 AM

I am only commenting on a very small part of your post. I am yet to find any adhesive tape product left on the surface for longer than a couple of days that does not damage nitro finish in some form or another.

I would just get any 3m thin double sided tape and replace it, even companies like stewmac sell the stuff

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 12-08-2019, 07:15 AM

Near the end of this list of armrests on the John Pearse website there’s a replacement adhesive listed:

http://www.jpstrings.com/armrest.htm

There’s also one available on Elderly’s website:

https://www.elderly.com/products/joh...ement-adhesive
Old 12-08-2019, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Thanks!! Not sure how I missed that. I thought I scoured his page. Old eyes I guess....
Old 12-09-2019, 06:05 AM

Pete, I've been using John Pearse armrests on all my flattop guitars ever since John gave me one of the first prototypes of the armrest back in the late 1980's. Over the years I've bought and sold a lot of guitars, and on any that I've acquired for my own use I've always put armrests on them.

Unless someone specifically tells me that they want me to leave the armrest on a guitar that I'm selling or trading to them, I remove the armrest, then put it on another guitar. I have armrests that have actually been on three or four instruments over the years.

Every time I just use another strip of the replacement adhesive available from John Pearse/Breezy Ridge.

So far as I'm concerned, there's no reason not to.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 12-09-2019, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

I am a huge fan of JP armrests and have them on all my acoustics.

I've moved some around and bought spare tape from them - it is 3M (but it doesn't say which specific tape).

I had good luck with my almost-impervious Taylor polyester finishes.

I refinished an old guitar with Stew Mac rattle can satin nitrocellulose lacquer and the tape destroyed it.

So I wish I had never removed it because it actually caused damage around the edges and I now have to refinish it again.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair