The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-07-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sound View Post
Congrats on a beautiful guitar. I'd like to see a pic of the back. Best of luck with the neck.
Solid maple !

Old 12-07-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
Just because you do not see it does not mean there is no truss rod in the neck. Starting in the early 1950s Kay began installing a U shaped neck reinforcement in new models. As the K27 was introduced in 1952 it is likely that this guitar has one. Adjustable truss rods, however, did not begin showing up until around 1955 and were not universally installed. So while I am not 100% certain, it is entirely possible the K27 has a reinforced neck. Harmony did the same thing - putting steel reinforcement rods in their necks of their guitars in the later-1950s but not going to adjustable rods until sometimes 10 0r 12 years down the road. .
You should be able to tell with a magnet if there’s a steel reinforcement in the neck. That’s what I’ve been told anyway.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:33 AM

Yeah. the K27 had a natural top with a burst shot on the back and rim. The earliest versions had glued pickguards rather than screwed on. And this model was built with all solid wood. I have owned a couple f te X braced guitars and still keep a ladder braced K24 cutaway around. But anyoe who has not played one these upper end Kay 17 1/8" monsters does not know what they are missing. They put out a thunderous roar. Hold the guitar to your chest and hit a bg fat open chord and you can feel the vibration thumping through darn near your whole body.

Here is my Kay K24.

Old 12-08-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
Yeah. the K27 had a natural top with a burst shot on the back and rim. The earliest versions had glued pickguards rather than screwed on. And this model was built with all solid wood. I have owned a couple f te X braced guitars and still keep a ladder braced K24 cutaway around. But anyoe who has not played one these upper end Kay 17 1/8" monsters does not know what they are missing. They put out a thunderous roar. Hold the guitar to your chest and hit a bg fat open chord and you can feel the vibration thumping through darn near your whole body.

Here is my Kay K24.

how's the neck on that beast, Zomby?

With mine, it is super beefy at the first position chords - but man, as you go up the neck we are in LOG territory!

I don't want to replace the neck, since I'd lose that cook headstock.

Perhaps I can find someone to add a truss rod as others have said. Totally worth it IMO!!!
Old 12-10-2019, 07:25 AM

I reached out to Scott Baxendale. He recommended to remove the neck and finger board then install a new single action LMI rod, which adjusts through the soundhole. Then shave and refinish the neck, as well as reset it to the body and the set up the guitar. he would also refret it as a matter of course to insure playability.

He also gave me the option of rebracing the guitar (lefty tone bars) even though it is already X-braced. He explained that not all X bracing is equal and these Kays, while X-braced, are crudely done.

BUT
...if I like the clear raw tone would a rebrace make it "too refined"?
Old 12-10-2019, 02:13 PM

what do y'all think? Would the improved bracing (lefty) and new modern neck make this guitar a completely different animal - one that I may not like?

I am intrigued enough to just go ahead with this! The guitar is so cool.

Dan
Old 12-10-2019, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by elasticman View Post
what do y'all think? Would the improved bracing (lefty) and new modern neck make this guitar a completely different animal - one that I may not like?

I am intrigued enough to just go ahead with this! The guitar is so cool.

Dan
Well there is a risk factor but if you talked to Scott and told him what you still want in terms of tone, I imagine that he would have some thoughts on it. Like all things related to guitar there is usually a bit of a compromise somewhere.

I hope that you can get both the comfort and the tone that you want with this guitar.

Best,
Jayne
Old 12-10-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elasticman View Post
I reached out to Scott Baxendale. He recommended to remove the neck and finger board then install a new single action LMI rod, which adjusts through the soundhole. Then shave and refinish the neck, as well as reset it to the body and the set up the guitar. he would also refret it as a matter of course to insure playability.

He also gave me the option of rebracing the guitar (lefty tone bars) even though it is already X-braced. He explained that not all X bracing is equal and these Kays, while X-braced, are crudely done.

BUT
...if I like the clear raw tone would a rebrace make it "too refined"?
- The only guitars that matter are the ones you play. If this mod increases the likelihood you'll play the guitar, that's huge.

- Trading out a BIG mahogany neck with NO truss rod, to a smaller neck WITH a truss rod = will the tone change? I have to assume the answer is yes, simply because that is a lot of change being introduced. But will it "tame the rawness"? I doubt it - I mean you are still dealing with a huge Kay maple Jumbo - that thing is going to rumble if you look at it funny!

So I think you will impact the tone, but the jumbo big maple sound will still be there. All IMHO. Sounds worth doing.

Last edited by WordMan; 12-10-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

I've got a Martin D-28 Authentic 1937 consigned and it's not sold. If it continues to sit I may get it back and have my luthier reshape the neck. We've talked about it and he's confident he can make it playable for me. I know...it'll devalue the guitar but I have no problem with that. I'd be happy keeping it forever if I can get a more comfortable neck profile. Love the way it sounds.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 12-10-2019, 09:00 PM

I built my first guitar and made a beefy neck because loy of people were saying good things about them. Also because it was my first guitar I thought it might help with my not knowing what I was doing. A few years latter I took off the neck and slimmed it down. I like it much better now. I did put in an adjustable truss rod though. Non-adjustable ones were used, still called truss rods though. I think when Silvertone put in a truss rod they also put steel reinforced neck on the headstock.

A lot of changes outlined. I have put in a non-adjustable trus rod in a neck that did not have one previously. Not the easiest of jobs but doable. Might cost you some after all is said. Or you can look at it another way. Have the neck slimmed down and if there is a problem later get a truss rod put in. As far as changing over the X brace pattern it doesn't change a thing. Shaving down the braces would but if you are happy with the sound just leave them be.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:52 PM

My Rockbridge had a real baseball bat of a neck. I cracked my left thumb skiing and couldn’t play it without pain. Had Ray at Rockbridge thin it down, about an 1/8 “ at the nut and then tapered to the heal. Perfect. I still like it, plays easier and I think the guitar sounds a little better too. This was done 6 or 7 years ago. No problems.
Martin D28 1937 Aged Authentic
John Walker Lochsa
Roberts Slope Dread
Johnny Rushing Ditson Style 12 Fret
Beard Goldtone Resonator
Bob Thompson Slope Shoulder

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion