The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-02-2019, 07:12 AM

Default JBL Eon610

They were on sale for $225 everywhere or are still. Anybody have one?
I just wanted something easy to carry up stairs for the few gigs I have where that is required. Didn't want to spend a lot and I already have a traditional p.a. and an Eon One. The Eon One is great for small rooms but not great to drag up the stairs at my age. I got the bag with wheeled platform for it so on level ground, we're good. I bought one of those $30 go racks three years ago (and never used it) and figured that and the eon 610 might do in a pinch. By signing up for a sweetwater credit card, I got another $50 off. I almost pulled the trigger on the Eon one compact but just can't justify the price right now. I hope the 610 does the job but if not, Sweetwater seems to be good about returns.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:19 AM

I have an EON610 and it's a good sounding speaker with decent volume. The weight isn't bad to carry around and at 71 years old I can get it up onto a pole without to much effort. I use a small mixer with it. I kind of forgot I have one of those 'Go Rack' boxes and I may give that a try with the 610.

My only gripe about the 610 is the 'EON Connect' app via Bluetooth (EQ only, not streaming) that evidently many seem to have a problem with. I have an Android based tablet that has all the required specs to connect and the app appears to work fine on it. After many attempts to connect to the speaker I got it to recognize the speaker and was able to control the EQ. The app also had notified me of a firmware update for the speaker which I allowed it to do and it appeared to complete successfully. Since performing the firmware update I have not been able to connect to the speaker and from some tests I did it looks as if the Bluetooth in the speaker no longer functions at all.
It's a decent speaker even without the EON Connect app capability which would be a nice extra, but not really essential and perhaps the EON Connect app may work for you if you think it's useful.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt20dbl View Post
They were on sale for $225 everywhere or are still. Anybody have one?
I just wanted something easy to carry up stairs for the few gigs I have where that is required. Didn't want to spend a lot and I already have a traditional p.a. and an Eon One. The Eon One is great for small rooms but not great to drag up the stairs at my age. I got the bag with wheeled platform for it so on level ground, we're good. I bought one of those $30 go racks three years ago (and never used it) and figured that and the eon 610 might do in a pinch. By signing up for a sweetwater credit card, I got another $50 off. I almost pulled the trigger on the Eon one compact but just can't justify the price right now. I hope the 610 does the job but if not, Sweetwater seems to be good about returns.
I have a pair and I like them. Good, clean sound. $225 is a great price.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:26 AM

My wife and I just upgraded our PA through Sweetwater and bought 2 Eon 610's and a Soundcraft mixer. They are very good sounding speakers and I don't intend to use the bluetooth feature so it has no importance to me.

They are pretty large for a 10 though, probably 50% larger than a Yamaha DBR10. Not super heavy (26 lbs), but not super light.

They have plenty of power IMO. If weight & size were an issue and you had an unlimited budget, I'd push you towards the QSC CP8. Same db output and 1/2 the size, though similar in weight.

The 610 is a nice unit though and the SW 2 year warranty is a huge plus. At $175, you can't go wrong. We bought the covers too, and I'm glad we did.

I think you will be happy with the 610. FWIW, they sound best on the "monitor" setting to my ears.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 12-02-2019, 03:18 PM

I have an EON 612 that I've been really happy with. 60 gigs in no problems at all. I don't use the bluetooth side of it. I use a small mixer with it though. It sounds like weight is the most important factor with your decision? If you don't need really loud volume it could be worth considering the Bose S1 or the new JBL eon Compact speaker. Pop it in a backpack and your good to go. Could be a nice addition to the other PA sizes you already have. But yes, the JBL at those prices is great!
Old 12-02-2019, 09:20 PM

Thanks for the info all. Very helpful. I'm anxious to give it a try.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:07 PM

I picked up a couple on sale. I like them. I got some speaker stands too. The bluetooth app works pretty well -- 3 bands of fully parametric eq plus basic shelving high and low all built in is pretty crazy. I have used the parametric to notch out a couple of problem frequencies for me. With that much control, one should be able to make these sound any way they want. Plenty of volume. I'm running them with a small mixer -- Zoom live 12.

I see no reason to upgrade the firmware, in something that works great so I probably won't be doing that.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 12-07-2019, 06:00 AM

I got it. Gonna play with it today. Found the app and it seems to work fine on my phone.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:24 AM

Fiddled around with it in the house a couple of times and got some input from my wife on the mix on the guitar. Took it to a gig last night and it sounded great! Couldn't tell at first because the place was busy and chatty (Christmas parties). At the end of the night when it was much quieter, I got a good listen. Didn't need to mess with the app and didn't want to. I had already experimented with it in the house, plenty. I liked it. They liked it. Thinking of taking it tonight as well even if there are no stairs involved. The speaker was sufficiently light so as to make two flights of stairs a comfortable climb. My only complint is the lack of a top handle but I think I can fix that if I can find the right sized screws to fit the two pre-threaded holes in the top.
Old 12-20-2019, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

I own one of these now as well. I have not gigged with it but it appears to be a nice sounding speaker. Paired with my Compact, it appears to be a good combination!
Old 12-20-2019, 12:07 PM

Can you link them? I was wondering if I could link it with my Eon One for larger venues.
Old 12-20-2019, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I own one of these now as well. I have not gigged with it but it appears to be a nice sounding speaker. Paired with my Compact, it appears to be a good combination!
Curious about how you use them together--I have a Compact. Use it as a fill for oddly shaped rooms? Monitor? A local singer/guitarist used his Compact nicely at a recent event but I noticed he was slightly behind it.
Old 12-20-2019, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

To clarify, I am using a small mixer and run out to both speakers. There may be a way to link them through Bluetooth, but I'm not sure.
Old 12-20-2019, 04:20 PM

Congrats, great to hear it's working for you and sounding good! I'm still happy with my EON612. It's currently my only speaker for live use, I like the idea of using an EON compact for additional fill if needed. And nice to just have a backup if something was to go wrong with the other speaker. Although I may go for a second 12" EON, I like the thought of this lil' Compact speaker in the arsenal too
Old 12-21-2019, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

...I’ve had a pair for several years now...I really like their versatility...can be used as a solo monitor or paired up with a mixer...(I use a Mackie FX 8) which gives them extra juice and can handle a small ensemble....not as hi-fi as higher priced powered speakers and a bit hissy but they do have the JBL warmth that I have always liked...the BT feature is lame...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification