The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-23-2019, 07:23 PM

Question Embellishments behind/under chord?

Hi how can you play embellishments behind or under the chord you're on?
Like if I'm strumming on a bar chord on the 5th fret, and I want to play a note on the 3rd fret, how do you do that right?
If the notes above the chord, it's just a quick finger flick, but under, it's a different story, and I can't figure it out 🤔

Thanks all.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Nothing if you want to be holding the barre continuously with your index finger.

Of course you could play say an Am chord shape barre on the fifth fret and keep the 2nd, 3rd and 4th string ringing while you lift off the
index finger to get some lower notes (say fifth string open and then fretted on the fourth fret).

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 11-23-2019 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:52 PM

Think of alternative places to play the same notes such that they are above the chord. Remember, the strings are tuned to 4ths (or a 3rd for the B string), so for a note two frets down you could play the same note a few frets above the chord but a string lower. You can also change where you are playing the chord.
Ovation CS257 Celebrity Deluxe
Epiphone PR-350
Kramer 450G
Gretsch G2622
Old 11-24-2019, 06:03 AM

I've no wish to detract from previous contributors but what you describe exposes a problem inherent in bar chords in the first place, and explains why they are not used all the time by more advanced players. Bar chords tie up too many fingers. They often contain duplications of notes that may not be needed and, as you point out, cut you off from the bass end of the instruments range.

Unless you have entered guitar playing through the Classical Guitar route you will probably have started playing by learning chords. Modern guitar playing is largely 'chordcentric'. Other forms of music differ. For the beginning guitarist bar chords are likely to be the most difficult thing that they have encountered but in terms of music rather than 'guitaring' bar chords are a dead end. In jazz and in folk music bar chords are rare, in rock they morph into power chords which are a different thing again. There is a lot more to music than chords.

There are vast areas of music outside guitar playing where chords are far less defined. An awful lot of orchestral music is melody, bass line and, sometimes, counter melody. The interaction of these can describe chords but they are not defined. Think of string quartet music. Not a notated chord in sight.

To sum up, well done for spotting the problem. How you solve it will part of your musical journey. Good luck.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

I use my right foot. It's a bit of showmanship that usually gets allot of attention. I have to keep my toenails clipped as well. Good luck!

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 11-24-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Hi how can you play embellishments behind or under the chord you're on?
Like if I'm strumming on a bar chord on the 5th fret, and I want to play a note on the 3rd fret, how do you do that right?
Well, obviously, you can't. Are you thinking of some specific example in a song? Presumably tabbed badly?
Old 11-24-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
As a general rule, that same note will also appear on the 8th fret. Different string, though, but at least within the realm of possibility. :-)

Couch Standards
Old 11-24-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbell View Post
Think of alternative places to play the same notes such that they are above the chord. Remember, the strings are tuned to 4ths (or a 3rd for the B string), so for a note two frets down you could play the same note a few frets above the chord but a string lower. You can also change where you are playing the chord.
This ^ ... I was gonna post the same thing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write