The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-21-2019, 12:47 PM

Default PRS Guitars

Really gassing for a CE 24. Price range sort of limits me to around 1400.00 so this equates to a CE. I owned a Carvin CT624 for a while birds eye maple neck, spalded maple top. Quite an impressive guitar. Like a lot of Carvin's they are quite a bargain used. Short of that is I wanted to get back into Strats so I sold it. Looking back it was kind of synthetic on tone.

Do CE's differ much from year or generation or just guitar to guitar or at all for that matter? I usually know within seconds about the feel of the neck with any guitar. Live rural so GC visits will probably be the crux of trying them out.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:49 PM

I bought a used 1998 CE-22 a couple of years back. Very impressive guitar.

Not sure if the new introduced CEs are different than those older ones but PRS guitars in general have a high level of consistency among them. If you're able to play one of the newer ones I'm guessing you'll know whether you can buy another sight unseen. PRS has different neck profiles ... just make sure you like the one that comes with the CE.

PS: sending you a PM.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:55 AM

Just watch your necks. My 97 Custom 22 has a wide thin neck. I like it but there are other PRS necks out there that I do not like. Then I go ahead and get a Music Man and their necks blow all others in the industry out of the water.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guildman View Post
Really gassing for a CE 24. Price range sort of limits me to around 1400.00 so this equates to a CE. I owned a Carvin CT624 for a while birds eye maple neck, spalded maple top. Quite an impressive guitar. Like a lot of Carvin's they are quite a bargain used. Short of that is I wanted to get back into Strats so I sold it. Looking back it was kind of synthetic on tone.

Do CE's differ much from year or generation or just guitar to guitar or at all for that matter? I usually know within seconds about the feel of the neck with any guitar. Live rural so GC visits will probably be the crux of trying them out.

Thanks in advance for any input.
When I decided to get back into electric, having been acoustic only since the early 70's I looked at and played everything I could get my hands on in my price range with a $2000 upper limit .

I ended up with a CE 24 and will keep it till I pass, period

I don't think they have changed anything since they reissued them 3 or 4 years ago ?

For me (with smaller hands ) the Pattern Thin neck is perfect and I love the sound of the 85/15 pickups with single coil to HB versatility , the trem works great, and it stays in tune ,,,"what's not to love " ??

The only thing I have changed in 3 years now is strings

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 11-22-2019 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
When I decided to get back into electric, having been acoustic only since the early 70's I looked at and played everything I could get my hands on in my price range with a $2000 upper limit .

I ended up with a CE 24 and will keep it till I pass, period

I don't think they have changed anything since they reissued them 3 or 4 years ago ?

For me (with smaller hands ) the Pattern Thin neck is perfect and I love the sound of the 85/15 pickups with single coil to HB versatility , the trem works great, and it stays in tune ,,,"what's not to love " ??

The only thing I have changed in 3 years now is strings

Beautiful! Reminds me of the CT624 I had.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
Just watch your necks. My 97 Custom 22 has a wide thin neck. I like it but there are other PRS necks out there that I do not like. Then I go ahead and get a Music Man and their necks blow all others in the industry out of the water.
Would like to A/B the music man.....not a single one at GC within 200 miles.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:55 AM

Completely agree w/ Kevwind. I've played a '94 CE 24 since '98 and just got a 2019 model, semi-hollowbody. Most consistent guitar I've ever owned, just a joy to play.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:47 PM

Kevwind, that is one beautiful PRS!

I assume that the stock pickups in the CE models has changed over the years.
I had a first gen one with the HFS/Vintage Bass combo...
Old 11-22-2019, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post

Thanks, Yes since bringing the CE back into production recently , it now has the same pickups as the custom 24, the 85/15's which are humbuckers but can be split to single coil and are pretty quiet (do not have a lot of hum) in single coil mode . And the neck with the satin finish is simply outstanding IMO .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 11-23-2019, 09:01 AM

I have an SE and a McCarty. They sound great, play easily, and always stay in tune. You can’t go wrong.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post

Yes, my 1999 CE-22 has the stock Dragon II pickups. Most people consider them less favorable compared to the newer pickups. I've never played the 85/15s before but guessing I would prefer them since I've read great things about them.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:40 PM

Not looking to hi-Jack this thread .... but ... I do like some of the Indonesia PRS pieces. I don’t own one, but have noodle around with them in my local shop. One think - and please correct me if I am wrong - it seems the PRS line doesn’t hold its value as well as some other manufacturers. Used PRS guitars seem to go for well under new for the most part. Am I miss interpreting this assumption?
Old 11-23-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
Sent you a PM.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:48 PM

I own 3 PRS guitars.

An '88 Goldtop Special,'09 DGT 10-Top, and my newly acquired '95 Custom 10 10-Top.

I got the '88 Goldtop a few years ago for $1900, the DGT $1750, and earlier this year in February, I scored the '95 Custom 24 for $1000 out the door in a pawnshop.

All 3 are amazing guitars,but the DGT is the real stand out of the bunch. It's such a versatile guitar with a lot of killer tones available.

For me used is ALWAYS the way to go, but you have to put in the time at pawnshops, CL, Facebook Market place, or online at GC.

The thing is, if you find one, you have to try to go audition it in person if possible , and have cash on hand.

Cash in hand is KING, and will always get you the best deal.

Here are my PRS guitars.

'88 Goldtop Special

'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E
Old 11-23-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stGuitar View Post
Not looking to hi-Jack this thread .... but ... I do like some of the Indonesia PRS pieces. I don’t own one, but have noodle around with them in my local shop. One think - and please correct me if I am wrong - it seems the PRS line doesn’t hold its value as well as some other manufacturers. Used PRS guitars seem to go for well under new for the most part. Am I miss interpreting this assumption?
You're right, PRS guitars don't hold their value as much as Gibson or Fender. Coincidentally, I was listening to Phil McKnight's weekly Youtube podcast a couple of days ago and he was talking about that. Obviously it has nothing to do with the quality. Guessing maybe it's because of the shorter history than Gibson/Fender and the new price can be very expensive.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars