The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 09-29-2019, 10:31 AM

Default Need help - Strings for 1920s National Resonator

I am staying with a Virginia friend who has this old National his father once played. It needs new strings badly. What gauge is safest and what might you recommend?

Thanks much. Photos later.

Last edited by Prof_Stack; 09-29-2019 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:15 AM

I'd start with Martin Retro Monel MM13 (13-56) - period-correct tone with less tension than the heavy-gauge strings a lot of guys used back then (can you say Black Diamond?) - and experiment from there if necessary...
Old 09-29-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I'd start with Martin Retro Monel MM13 (13-56) - period-correct tone with less tension than the heavy-gauge strings a lot of guys used back then (can you say Black Diamond?) - and experiment from there if necessary...
I love those strings on my Eastman, but isn't that the heaviest gage they make? If it was me and I was concerned with too much tension I would start out with 11's.
Old 09-29-2019, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Hi, if the neck seems straight and sound mediums (13-56) would be my choice (what I use on my National), but if there is any evidence of frailty, I'd try lights (12-53).
Old 09-30-2019, 08:39 AM

Thanks for the tips, guys! I'll probably go with Monel 13s as I don't trust the 16-65 authentic gauge with this old neck.

Heading out to a store shortly. Most places close on Sundays here.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:34 PM

I settled for EJ16 light gauge strings from a very near quite small one-man guitar repair shop. Great to spend locally.

This National Resophonic guitar apparently used to be all shiny metallic, but was painted by my friend's father. It is pretty rough as seen in the photos. EF42's would have been a strain on the neck and tougher to get into the bridge slots.

Sounds like a banjo at times, but plays pretty true and barres okay up the 12-fret neck.

One string needed a nudge to get in the slot.

This photo flatters the guitar.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:11 AM

I think this guitar is younger than stated, perhaps late 1930's or 1940's. Any ideas?

Oh, it turns out the place I am staying here in Virginia, "Stuart's Draft", is very close to the factory for Huss and Dalton. I wonder if they give tours?
Old 10-01-2019, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof_Stack View Post
I wonder if they give tours?
Yes, they do. Give them a call. Very nice folks and superb guitars.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:08 AM

From the photo, it looks to me as tho the bridge is twisted out of alignment, so the strings aren't seated properly in the string-slots - could account for the banjo-ish tone you describe? - it really would be worth taking to someone who understands these instruments, in order to get a decent set-up & realise its full potential.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:23 AM

I am not an expert, but it looks very similar to a late 1930's National Duolian to me. Great find.

I have a 2009 National NRP which is a modern day version of the Duolian. The biscuit seems to be sitting very low in relation to the coverplate as compared to mine. The vintage biscuits may have sat lower in relation to the coverplate than the new Nationals, I don't know. Does it have screws holding the coverplate, or does it have the hook type clips holding the coverplate? It would be fascinating to pull the coverplate and cone for a detailed internal inspection.

Last edited by BudHa; 10-01-2019 at 11:35 AM. Reason: more info
Old 10-01-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudHa View Post
...It would be fascinating to pull the coverplate and cone for a detailed internal inspection.
Highly recommended under any circumstances...
Old 10-02-2019, 08:53 AM

I play a vintage 1937 National Triolian, often in open E tuning. I use low tension strings because I do not trust the stability of the neck- body joint and therefore chose Thomastik KR116. Sounds great in standard and open E tuning but feels floppy when tuned lower. The guy I bought it from gave me the tip and he seems to be an expert on old Nationals. Neck is far from straight by the way.
Had a new National once and always used mediums on it.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 10-02-2019, 09:32 PM

Thanks very much to all for the informed posts. The resophonic guitar world is new to me.

Yes, the "biscuit" bridge is likely out of spec. The neck probably needs a reset. The owner is happy to noodle around on it now that it has fresh strings but probably won't want to shell out much money on his late father's guitar. I think it is more about the sentimental value for him. When I see him again, I will see what I can do to improve the guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments