The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-06-2019, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

I'm hopin' for a new right thumb, you know, a steady beat along the lines of Big Bill Broonzy, or the Reverend Gary D.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:55 PM

Nothing for me, Barry, but that Cordoba sounds like a sweet guitar.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
There's a certain Cordoba C5 (cedar) on it's way from the North Pole heading in my direction.

What gently guided gift suggestions are making their way to under your tree with your name on it?
If it's coming from the North Pole, you might want to wait an extra day before you open it so it can acclimate. Pretty cold up there.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:26 PM

A woe-begone, god-forsaken 1946 Martin 0-17 that has apparently had a number of previous owners who were featured on the “naughty list”. It needs a lot of love to get it squared away, but I’m betting that it still has a lot of love to give.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 12-06-2019, 09:12 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
If it's coming from the North Pole, you might want to wait an extra day before you open it so it can acclimate. Pretty cold up there.
Mrs Claus says I can't open the box until Christmas. Santa has a 30 day return window so I'm good in case there's a defect.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-06-2019, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

Nothing yet from Santa, but the Great Turkey delivered a very nice Breedlove Pursuit Concerto (Red Cedar/Mahogany) to me for Thanksgiving!
Gibson J-45 Standard
Breedlove Pursuit Concerto CE
Takamine F400S 12-string
Yamaha FG800
Citation CIT8000 "The Survivor"
Electrics:
Fender Standard Stratocaster (2004)
Old 12-06-2019, 10:07 PM

Already gifted and installed - a half dozen quality guitar wall hangers. Plus I'm getting an Apple Watch v4.
Ibanez AEG Mahogany, '16
Yammie FG-430A, '91
Baby Taylor, '15
Listed in order of usage.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:26 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Just got back from celebrating an early Christmas with my son’s family and the grands in AZ. This year instead of giving me something guitar specific I got a different kinda music-related gift. Interesting to see how from the 60s on Downbeat started to interview a lot of non-jazz musicians. Jimi Hendrix, Muddy Waters, Paul Butterfield, Ike and Tina Turner, Stevie Wonder, Tom Waits, Frank Zappa, Carlos Santana, etc...

Old 12-07-2019, 04:49 AM

A brand new National Model 0 Deluxe.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Nothing guitar related. Possibly, a museum quality, bronze age bowl, that my wife and I have had our eyes on for a few months - might sound expensive, but it's only half the price of an entry level Taylor. I like old things... it means I'm not the only antique in the household.
Old 12-07-2019, 12:29 PM

Well, this year christmas came in August for me. Romantic story so buckle in!

This is my lifetime guitar: A late 2018 324ce-V SEB.

I started playing guitar not so seriously two years ago, when I joined a christian group in college. Basic chords/ accompaniment. I eventually got a Breedlove import model and played the heck out of it. two years in the frets are divoted and sprouting. Although a good levelling and recrowning could have rectified that, it would cost a few times the guitar's original worth. So I started looking for a lifer.

I had been saving up for some time knowing this would eventually come up. I also received much more money for a study abroad sponsorship than expected. Finally, while browsing through guitar center's used section, I saw my guitar! For 40% off, I just couldnt pass it up.

As an engineer I consider more variables than tone. The NT neck and V bracing (structural stability) as well as sustainabile wood sourcing practices appealed heavily to me. But they're still ancillary to the sounds that come out of this thing. Don't get me wrong, a more traditional tone is nice and chewy, but there's something about this Hog / blackwood combo that just does it for me. Heavy strumming to loosen the top, and a TUSK saddle fitted and compensated by me yield lots of volume too.

I could go on and on but I guess it's enough already.

The belt is important too. Finnish service belt, which covers the buckle when worn inside out. Handy for not marring the finish.

too late for a NGD but maybe I can do a NBD new belt day
Old 12-07-2019, 12:58 PM

It was an early Christmas. Got a Gibson WM-00 and a late-1930s Kay big box round soundhole archtop. Santa and the Mrs. did not forget my who now has a Fender Acoustasonic amp. Te Claus famioy has been very, very good to us this year.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:03 PM

I am asking for a pick punch. Totally worthless I know, but it still looks like fun for the grandkids.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:22 AM

No guitar related stuff for me, though a set of 510 minis would help me finish my nearly completed guitar build. I bought a set of the full size 510s but I ended up putting them in my Larrivee because one of the factory tuning machines crapped out. Other than that I could probably use some more purfling strips.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:04 AM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...66d26fb1caad78

I've been using cheap OBDII portable readers I keep in the glove box of each vehicle (4) to let my wife and sons read the codes if/when their Check Engine Lights illuminate. They're savvy with their use and call me with the codes the devices report. But, I wanted a full laptop scan tool that will graphically illustrate real-time running conditions for the 6-month garage tune-up and comprehensive check I perform on each vehicle.

Otherwise, a couple packs of D'Addario EJ17s will be just fine.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion