The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-06-2019, 10:11 AM

Default Elite Acoustics StompMix 4 Review & Demo

Old 12-06-2019, 11:04 AM

Excellent review. Thanks Aaron.

I have one question. Can you flip the phase on one of the channels to see if it helps or hurts the blend of two pickups?
Old 12-06-2019, 11:42 AM

Super nice. If only this guy was battery powered like it's bigger brother. I wonder if you could power it with a USB powerpack and one of those 5v to 9v cables. That's how I power my pedals when I'm out busking. I don't see why it wouldn't work with this. Perhaps the power draw would be too much.

Also, found this in the FAQ on their site.

"Can I plug Passive Pickups directly into the StompMix4?
– No, StompMix 4 only support Active Pickups."

Thanks for the review Aaron.

Fingerstyle Guitar ~ Hammered Dulcimer ~ Clawhammer Banjo ~ Diatonic Harmonica ~ Anglo Concertina

Old 12-06-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood nacho View Post
Super nice. If only this guy was battery powered like it's bigger brother. I wonder if you could power it with a USB powerpack and one of those 5v to 9v cables. That's how I power my pedals when I'm out busking. I don't see why it wouldn't work with this. Perhaps the power draw would be too much.

Also, found this in the FAQ on their site.

"Can I plug Passive Pickups directly into the StompMix4?
– No, StompMix 4 only support Active Pickups."

Thanks for the review Aaron.
It worked fine with my passive K&K!
Old 12-06-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
It worked fine with my passive K&K!
Yeah, I'm sure they included that statement so users wouldn't think its intention was to be a high-end preamp for passive pickups. Something hot, like the K&K probably works fine but it may have more noise than if it was active or running through another preamp. Something lower output may need more assistance.

Sean De Burca told me he uses the K&K Trinity Preamp prior to the Stompmix as it seemed to work better, per his experience. YMMV.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 12-06-2019, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Great review as usual.

I also would have been tempted if this had battery power, but in the end I wouldn't buy a floor-mounted mixer anyway. I don't want to be leaning down to tweak live as needed, and those knobs seem a bit delicate if you miss stomping the A/B buttons (I guess those guards are to fend that off).

I'm surprised there aren't more battery-powered mixers with at least basic effects--is there anything other than the StompMix's 6-channel big brother? And do digital mixers draw less current than analog? Surely it's a sign of my age but I'd buy say a lithium-powered analog Yamaha or A&H mixer immediately. Meanwhile the Boss VE-8, multi-effects combo pedal of thousands of comments here, runs on six AAA's.

Sorry for the thread drift.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
....but in the end I wouldn't buy a floor-mounted mixer anyway. I don't want to be leaning down to tweak live as needed, and those knobs seem a bit delicate if you miss stomping the A/B buttons (I guess those guards are to fend that off).
I would put up with the tweaking on the floor if it could do what I need, but I wouldn't buy a mixer that only allows the delay to be put on one channel as an insert effect. There's too many songs that I do that use a delay on the vocal and guitar. Think something like Imagine by John Lennon, that has that double track style slapback that's on both the guitar and piano.

Although not battery powered, I think in mini mixers like this the Bose T1 Mixer is still the king with it's ten programmable scenes I can cover as many tones/fx as need for a performance. A good share of my gigs I'm playing in the same rooms, and the EQ doesn't really change, so the Bose works for me, although I wish it had a delay with tap tempo and longer settings. Maybe elite acoustics will upgrade their mixers to allow the delay on more channels with a firmware upgrade. They seen to be listening to people and upgrading their products so I'm keeping them in mind.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I would put up with the tweaking on the floor if it could do what I need, but I wouldn't buy a mixer that only allows the delay to be put on one channel as an insert effect.... Although not battery powered, I think in mini mixers like this the Bose T1 Mixer is still the king with it's ten programmable scenes I can cover as many tones/fx as need for a performance....
Yes, the Tonematches are outstanding in that scenario. And Elite Acoustics sure does see responsive. Their digital approach leverages one of the great advantages of a digital device, possessing the ability to modify features via firmware. It's an impressive box.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:39 PM

Hi Aaron,

how big is the wall wart?

I guess a digital mixer needs a separate wall wart (high current like any digital pedal)

How about the noise when connecter to sensitive analog pedals?

Finally isn't the "EAE stompmix4 + QSC CP8 / K8 + Beaudens/stronger power supply" combo the best busker rig?
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 12-06-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Great review as usual.

I also would have been tempted if this had battery power, but in the end I wouldn't buy a floor-mounted mixer anyway. I don't want to be leaning down to tweak live as needed, and those knobs seem a bit delicate if you miss stomping the A/B buttons (I guess those guards are to fend that off).

I'm surprised there aren't more battery-powered mixers with at least basic effects--is there anything other than the StompMix's 6-channel big brother? And do digital mixers draw less current than analog? Surely it's a sign of my age but I'd buy say a lithium-powered analog Yamaha or A&H mixer immediately. Meanwhile the Boss VE-8, multi-effects combo pedal of thousands of comments here, runs on six AAA's.

Sorry for the thread drift.
I have the 8 channel Zoom R16 that runs on 6AA batteries. It's not bad but feels a bit 'cheap'. Features are limited. Works very well for busking as long as you take care of it.

Fingerstyle Guitar ~ Hammered Dulcimer ~ Clawhammer Banjo ~ Diatonic Harmonica ~ Anglo Concertina

Old 12-06-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Hi Aaron,

how big is the wall wart?

I guess a digital mixer needs a separate wall wart (high current like any digital pedal)

How about the noise when connecter to sensitive analog pedals?

Finally isn't the "EAE stompmix4 + QSC CP8 / K8 + Beaudens/stronger power supply" combo the best busker rig?
It’s pretty small. Same size as the one for Tone Dexter.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood nacho View Post
I have the 8 channel Zoom R16 that runs on 6AA batteries. It's not bad but feels a bit 'cheap'. Features are limited. Works very well for busking as long as you take care of it.
I have the Zoom Livetrack L-8. Less features than the Elite and larger but it has 6 XLR inputs and recording to SD Card. I’ll have to review that soon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification