The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-04-2019, 12:08 PM

Default Strymon Big Sky Setting recommendations, please.

I am looking for some good Strymon Big Sky recommendations for solo acoustic gigs. I am not looking for something really spacey, or anything like that. Just a really good setting I can leave it on to enhance my sound.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

That's a whole lot of reverb for an acoustic. I think just play it by ear. Find what sounds really good to you. If you find it's too much for your needs. Send me a PM. I have a brand new LR Baggs Align Reverb pedal I'll trade you. It's tailored to acoustics.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:12 AM

I had the Big Sky and used a hall reverb with a little modulation. After awhile, I decided the big sky was more than I needed and now use the Blue sky for the same purpose.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:17 PM

Oh, I agree, the Big Sky is A LOT of reverb for an acoustic! Hahaha! I usually use it for my electric rig but I am starting to play more acoustic gigs and was trying to incorporate some of the pedals I already have. I am using a Fire-Eye Red-Eye DI with a K&K Pure Mini pickup and love the sound of that, I am just wanting to add a little more "presence" or "dimension" to the sound since it will just be the acoustic. The Red-Eye has a great effects loop so I was going to add a reverb, chorus, and tuner.

I have used the on-board effects from a A&H ZED10Fx, but I am currently using a Mackie 1202VLZ4 with a rack effects unit for vocals. I have used that as well to add some reverb to the acoustic, but I think I can do better with pedals and really make the acoustic sound better.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:31 PM

I have my BigSky set to "Cloud" setting. I wish I could find a simpler Reverb that sounded as good. That said, it's not a lot of "cloud" and the difference between "not enough" and "too much" is just a shadow of a nudge on the potentiometer. I really struggle with this. I even use a Grace Alix preamp but still struggle. I have tried many "high end" reverb boxes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification