The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-11-2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
Seems like Cordoba made plenty of differing fusion models as my Orchestra Pro 12 is all solid. It's a good guitar for the money and easy to play but no where near as good as my Esteve c/9b when it comes to tone and volume.
Wow, that is a glowing recommendation for Esteve.

My Fusion is laminate and sounds very good. With all solid wood (which I didn't even know they made) it must sound even better still. And the Esteve is much better than that!!! Makes me want to search out an Esteve but I would't know where to start. San Diego is rather lacking in good guitar stores unfortunately. I'll keep an eye out.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:22 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaneallen View Post
I'm thinking of getting a nylon string guitar with a cutaway and electronics and wanted to see what you guys would recommend. I already have a traditional classical guitar, so this would be for playing jazz and bossa nova music. I do have a Godin multiac, which sounds great plugged in, but is useless acoustically. I'd like to have something that sounds great plugged in, but also sounds great acoustically as well. I would like to be able to record with it. I don't require a traditional classical width, and would enjoy having a neck closer to a traditional acoustic guitar. I'm not looking to spend too much either, lets' keep it around $1000. Thanks for all help!
Although I recognize your desire for electronics, I'm not sure why it is a given that a hybrid is better suited than a standard classical for bossa nova. I certainly thought it once myself when I got a custom cocobolo Taylor NS62c a number of years ago, but I can't say I found it to be true. I think the 1 7/8" nut is a little narrow for nylon strings, and the sound of a good classical beats that of an inexpensive hybrid, IMO. My old Taylor NS couldn't hold a candle to my Cervantes, but admittedly there is a difference in cost. I'm pretty sure Gilberto, Bonfa and Jobim didn't play hybrids .

Martin OM-28 Authentic 1931
Taylor Cocobolo GCce 2008 Fall Limited Edition
Paragon Cocobolo/cedar GOM
Cervantes Signature Rodriguez
Eastman Cabaret JB
Tacoma JM1612C
Old 11-12-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar View Post
Wow, that is a glowing recommendation for Esteve.

My Fusion is laminate and sounds very good. With all solid wood (which I didn't even know they made) it must sound even better still. And the Esteve is much better than that!!!
I don't know the solid Cordoba fusion sounds better than the laminate but I suspect it might but there is 1 thing I know for certain is that the quality of my 3 nylons are ranked in price as well. The Esteve is a lattice braced guitar and is really a step above the Cordobas IMHO and that includes the C12 and C10 models which I initially looking at.

I played the 3 of them for my wife in a blind test and she ranked them in the same order.

The Cordoba sounds good plugged in and with the thin neck is very similar to playing a standard steelie and I often play it using a pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor814 View Post
I think the 1 7/8" nut is a little narrow for nylon strings, and the sound of a good classical beats that of an inexpensive hybrid, IMO.
I totally agree and it doesn't take to long to get used to the 52mm nut.

2023 Eastman AC422CE-ae

Katoh DF69s

Old 11-13-2019, 02:25 PM

Late to the responses here,

So far, I've owned a Taylor GC4ceN(sold), Cordoba Fusion 12fret Orchestra, Yamaha APX5NA, and very recently a Takamine TC135SC. The Taylor was overbuilt in my opinion, which restricted it's tone and volume. The same can be said of my APX5NA, but it's more a result of being all laminate.

Of the all these brands, Cordoba produces the best performance vs price. My Fusion Orchestra has a solid top, but is otherwise laminated. It feels and sounds rather lightly built and is responsive; more so than the all solid wood Taylor I owned.

I find the Yamaha hybrids "okay" except for odd string space related to the fretboard edge to E strings. I replaced the nut on mine to widen string spacing and lessen fretboard edge to E string distance.

As a steel string player, the Yamaha, has been my favorite because it plays and performs more steel string like.

The Takamine is my effort to find an upgrade to the Yamaha acoustically and my overall plugged-in nylon sound. First impressions have been the Takamine achieves this. It plays very well and is acoustically superior to the early Taylor nylons I've played and the Yamahas. It is much different tonally than the more classical sounding Cordoba. The Takamine leans tonally much more closely to the steel string than a classical.
Old 11-13-2019, 03:09 PM

After a long delay the Cordoba GK Pro I ordered in May is finally on the way, should be here early next week.

I spent a lot of time considering various makes and models, hopefully I made the right decision. Time will tell! [emoji4]

Martin OM-28V
Yamaha FSX3
Godin Arena Pro CW Bourbon Burst
Manuel Rodriguez Magistral D-C
EBS Stanley Clarke Sig. Acoustic Pre
Alto TX210 powered speaker
Old 11-13-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-string View Post
After a long delay the Cordoba GK Pro I ordered in May is finally on the way, should be here early next week.

I spent a lot of time considering various makes and models, hopefully I made the right decision. Time will tell! [emoji4]
When I bought my Katoh DF-69 I was intending to get the GK Pro Negra after lots of research and it was a line ball decision that came down to me not needing electronics or the cut out. I really liked the way it played, sounded and felt so I'm sure you will love it.

For someone who wants to plug in and play out I think the GK Pro is possibly the best option Nylon there is

2023 Eastman AC422CE-ae

Katoh DF69s

Old 11-14-2019, 02:39 AM

Quote:
When I bought my Katoh DF-69 I was intending to get the GK Pro Negra after lots of research and it was a line ball decision that came down to me not needing electronics or the cut out. I really liked the way it played, sounded and felt so I'm sure you will love it.

For someone who wants to plug in and play out I think the GK Pro is possibly the best option Nylon there is

Glad to hear it! [emoji4]This is also a Negra actually, can’t wait to get it here.

Martin OM-28V
Yamaha FSX3
Godin Arena Pro CW Bourbon Burst
Manuel Rodriguez Magistral D-C
EBS Stanley Clarke Sig. Acoustic Pre
Alto TX210 powered speaker
Old 11-17-2019, 07:13 PM

Just out of curiosity, I didn't see the La Patrie line mentioned at all.
They would seem to be 'right there' with many of the contenders mentioned.

No love for them, or are they an unknown entity?
Count me curious.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

For the OP’s specs, I would buy this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cordoba-Fus...dl1f6#viTabs_0

“The Maple belongs to Cordoba’s Fusion Series, a line of high-quality crossover or hybrid-style nylon string guitars designed to play and feel like steel string acoustics. Most notably, the necks are carved thinner than traditional Spanish-style "classical" guitars and have a nut width of 48 mm (1-7/8 in.). 12 frets to the body, slimmer dimensions, combined with a radius'd fingerboard, give the Fusion Series the feel and playability that most steel string and electric guitar players are used to. Tonally, the Fusion Series models have all the warmth, body, and resonance that traditional "classical" nylon string guitars are known for, and are built using traditional Spanish guitar methods like domed soundboards and fan bracing patterns in the design.”
Old 11-25-2019, 12:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

In have extensive gigging experience with many nylons, and the GK Pros are by far my favorite gigging instruments. Though I have to say that my new C5 salted maple is really giving my GK Pro negra a run. I didn't even take the Pro off the stand during my last gig.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:48 AM

Just seeing this thread. I know it's too late for the OP, but I have really dug my Martin 000C. I managed to find one of these cheap because of a top finish flaw. It's a lovely-sounding guitar that feels just great in my hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoQN_MkGQKg
+ Reverend Double Agent OG

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical