The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 09-26-2019, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

Default Anyone familiar with Journey Instruments Ukeleles?

Looking into buying a solid mahogany top one of these and was curious if anyone has any experience with them.
Thanks
Joe
jricc
Old 10-02-2019, 10:44 AM

I have never heard of them before your inquiry nor could I find any reviews. They are a Texas-based/Asian manufactured company that started in 2011. They seem to use spruce or African mahogany for the tops of their wooden ukuleles. I would try and find a retailer near you so you can play one. I might be confident enough to buy a Kala unit online but would be hesitant for an item I have never heard of before or is not reviewed enough.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRedbeard View Post
I have never heard of them before your inquiry nor could I find any reviews. They are a Texas-based/Asian manufactured company that started in 2011. They seem to use spruce or African mahogany for the tops of their wooden ukuleles. I would try and find a retailer near you so you can play one. I might be confident enough to buy a Kala unit online but would be hesitant for an item I have never heard of before or is not reviewed enough.
Thanks for the response @CaptRedbeard. Journey Instruments is one of the Acoustic Guitar Forum Sponsors. It's just they are more known for their carbon fiber collapsible guitars. I was hoping someone had played one of the ukes before.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:59 AM

I even looked on ukulele underground, out of curiosity, and a search turned up zero mentions of the brand but lots of "Anybody got ukulele tab for 'Don't Stop Believin'?" and "Progress on my ukulele journey" threads.

Maybe they should reconsider the name.

Last edited by frankmcr; 10-02-2019 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:11 PM

It's interesting that there are about as many picture of the bag as of the instrument, and the description really highlights the use of the bag for travel more than the sonic qualities of the instrument. It's supposed to have a solid top and "engineered" body. So in comparison with other ukes with those specs you have to ask yourself if the addition of the nice bag is worth the extra price, unless you can find a good deal for it considerably below the MSRP.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments