The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-16-2017, 09:10 PM

Default Tuning and cold weather

Noticed tonight my my LL6 was out of tune on every string...way out. All were flat and needed tuning up a pretty good bit. It has stayed in tune from day one and never needed adjustment. However, temp has dropped here and I guess humidity is down too. House is a little cooler as well.

What you guys think?

Jed
Old 12-16-2017, 10:21 PM

Sure -- temperature can affect tuning in several ways, acting on the strings or the guitar itself. The scary concept here is "temperature change." And "humidity change." Wood, and guitars, hate both, and the movements and changes that can result -- immediate, longer term -- are always bad. I'd take your observation as a warning sign. If the temp is now going to stay lower, consistently, that may not be a problem (as long as it's not too cold); it's the changing temp, not just a lower temp, that is the potential problem.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fingers View Post
Sure -- temperature can affect tuning in several ways, acting on the strings or the guitar itself. The scary concept here is "temperature change." And "humidity change." Wood, and guitars, hate both, and the movements and changes that can result -- immediate, longer term -- are always bad. I'd take your observation as a warning sign. If the temp is now going to stay lower, consistently, that may not be a problem (as long as it's not too cold); it's the changing temp, not just a lower temp, that is the potential problem.
Thanks. Humidity has dropped as well. Interesting to note is that the FG800, which is sitting next to the LL6 did not change. Strange
Old 12-17-2017, 12:36 PM

Temperature changes cause metal which strings are made from, to expand or contract.

Hot = expansion = looser string = lower pitch

Cold = contraction = tauter string = higher pitch
Old 12-17-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
Temperature changes cause metal which strings are made from, to expand or contract.

Hot = expansion = looser string = lower pitch

Cold = contraction = tauter string = higher pitch
What about the neck and body?
Old 12-17-2017, 12:48 PM

My experience is that the wood expands and contracts with humidity a lot more than temperature affects the strings. Due to the way it's braced, the top of the guitar will rise and fall, affecting tuning and playability. On cold, dry days my guitars sometimes go sharp. On a warmer winter day, they go slightly flat again.

I keep a humidifier in the case during the winter. That keeps the guitars from drying out so much that they might crack, but it can also cause other tuning problems. I play mostly at church, and I can't really re-tune it during the service. The choir area is near a big radiator. On a really cold day, my guitar can gradually go sharp just during the couple of hours it's out of its nice humidified case.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:50 PM

I dunno... Call me crazy, but it would surprise me if a guitar doesn't go out of tune EVERY day. Unless you're environment is so controled that your wooden instrument doesn't suffer from any expansion or contraction, then wouldn't you EXPECT it to need tuning?
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 12-17-2017, 12:56 PM

yep' temperature changes will upset tuning for sure.
Also even after tuning up a cold guitar your warm hands can alter the tuning a few cents by the end of the first song.

interesting what cold does, my Tele's go sharp, acoustics go flat
Old 12-17-2017, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

I'm constantly surprised that people seem to expect their guitars to stay permanently in tune. I've never owned a guitar that stayed permanently in tune and never needed tweaking - hell, I touch up the tuning between almost every song when I'm playing out.

When I pick up a guitar, first thing I do is check and tweak the tuning - it almost always needs it. Then, I get on and play, I don't waste time and mental effort wondering what caused it to need a tuning tweak. It's wood, it's metal, it's glue, it's organic!

Usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 12-17-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:46 PM

Actually, if your strings are low or flat and have to be tuned up, that is probably heat and possibly dry condition of humidity maybe 30% or less.

If it has been cold where you live, do you have the heat turned on?
This time of year in most parts of the US is humidifying time. Air is dry and cool or cold.

Seasonal change: Time to humidify guitar (in it's case). You will also alleviate "fret sprout".

Good journeys to you.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:52 PM

Yup. I heat exclusively with wood and live alone. I work long hours and live in Northern Michigan. I have a humidifier that keeps my home 35-50 % all winter. When I get home from work and outside temps are in the teen's or single digits, my home is often in the low 50's and sometimes in the low 40's or high 30's when it's below zero outside and I've been away for 12-18 hours. If my guitar isn't hanging out, I always take it out of the case and let it warm up with the house. I tune it when I start playing, and have to re-tune as the house warms up. I have an expensive, Jake Robinson Luthier built, Old Growth Brazilian/Bearclaw Sitka lacquer coated SJ that has never been damaged by this temperature variable, as well as 90-100 degrees temps in the summer with no air conditioning. I do keep it in the case with a dehumidifier during spurts of high humidity. My less expensive pro series Takamine acts the same way.

Last edited by j.blay; 12-17-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
What about the neck and body?
The neck and body change a little but not as much as metal. What affects the wood parts of the guitar is humidity or lack of it. It also takes a lot longer for wood to be affected than the metal (strings).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion