The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-05-2014, 08:05 AM

Default LR Baggs Lyric: Effect on unplugged acoustic sound.

Hi,

I am thinking of installing the LR Baggs Lyric on my HD-28 and want to know if anyone has had any experience with changes to the sound of the instrument when the Lyric is not plugged in. Also, any other thoughts about this pick-up from those who have used it in the field would be much appreciated.
2010 American Deluxe Telecaster
2003 Avalon Legacy L25
Old 07-05-2014, 08:16 AM

I don't hear any difference before and after installing the lyric in my guitar. I think putting the battery on the neck block is a good idea
Old 07-05-2014, 08:40 AM

Leave it in place for 6 months and revisit the decision then. It is a good pickup and many of us (me!) are prone to hearing with our eyes...which might pass with time. Jon
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-05-2014, 08:57 AM

As far as I can tell, the Lyric didn't change the sound of my guitar unplugged. And it sounds great plugged.

However, expect (especially with an HD-28) to be carving out large chunks of your low-mids with the Lyric to prevent woofiness and feedback. If you're going to go with the Lyric, go ahead and get a capable eq unit if you don't have one. I'm using the D-Tar Equinox with mine and, when the volume goes up, both notches, at 100 hz to 200 hz, and the lowest band at 400, are necessary, the 400hz band wider as it gets louder. If you're not going to be playing in close spaces with monitors looking at you, you'll need less eq capability.

The Lyric is a great choice for a natural amplified sound but you have to be prepared for its eccentrities.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:53 PM

I recently put a Lyric in my D-35 JC and haven't noticed any noticeable change in sound.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:25 PM

I've had a Lyric in my guitar for about 5 months now; love the sound and no discernable change in tone.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:40 AM

I had one of these put in my newer design om28(2014). I've had it in there since the guitar was new and was contemplating taking it out to see if the unplugged tone changed at all. (Out of curiosity more than anything else). I just know I won't be able to reinstall it as perfectly as it's installed now if I decide to keep it in there. I've only plugged that guitar in one time in 2.5 years.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leepish14 View Post
Hi,

I am thinking of installing the LR Baggs Lyric on my HD-28 and want to know if anyone has had any experience with changes to the sound of the instrument when the Lyric is not plugged in. Also, any other thoughts about this pick-up from those who have used it in the field would be much appreciated.
Doesn't noticeably change acoustic tone. Don't buy a Lyric unless you buy an LR Baggs Venue DI (or other good preamp/EQ pedal). Now fool around with them to try to get a good amplified tone, take out and the sell the Lyric, and keep the Venue DI and search for another pickup system.

OR

Suggestion: Why not just buy a Trance Audio Amulet M Dual Mono Acoustic Guitar System to start with and be done with it? This system also comes in a phantom-powered version, The Amulet M Phantom Dual Mono Acoustic Guitar System.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 02-12-2017 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvnc77 View Post
I had one of these put in my newer design om28(2014). I've had it in there since the guitar was new and was contemplating taking it out to see if the unplugged tone changed at all. (Out of curiosity more than anything else). I just know I won't be able to reinstall it as perfectly as it's installed now if I decide to keep it in there. I've only plugged that guitar in one time in 2.5 years.
If you never plug it in then why not just remove it and use something like a sound hole pickup for the times when you do need a pickup? As for removing it to see if it will improve your tone, that would be a waste of time. You are over thinking this IMO. I totally get the UST debate but the Lyric is incredibly light. If there is a change in tone, you would never notice it. I tend to believe they we talk ourselves into hearing changes as well so don't trust everything that you read.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icy_wind500 View Post
I don't hear any difference before and after installing the lyric in my guitar. I think putting the battery on the neck block is a good idea
+1

-Mike
Old 02-12-2017, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
If you never plug it in then why not just remove it and use something like a sound hole pickup for the times when you do need a pickup? As for removing it to see if it will improve your tone, that would be a waste of time. You are over thinking this IMO. I totally get the UST debate but the Lyric is incredibly light. If there is a change in tone, you would never notice it. I tend to believe they we talk ourselves into hearing changes as well so don't trust everything that you read.
+1! Even leaving the Lyric in the guitar for a long time won't hurt the guitar as the Lyric can be removed without any damage to the guitar or it.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 02-13-2017, 02:32 PM

I picked up a Larrivee OM-02 a couple of weeks ago. A wee later I had a lyric installed. I've noticed no difference in unplugged sound.

I love the sound of this guitar with the Lyric. I recommend first plugging it in to the most transparent and simple rig you have before you start to fuddle with preamps, di boxes, and acoustic amps.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvnc77 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
On the other hand, if he likes the acoustic sound and removing it is unlikely to change sound, why not just leave it in? Then guitar is the same and pickup is there in event he wants to plug in occasionally, and no time/cost of having pickup removed and choosing and buying a different pickup.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenaines View Post
On the other hand, if he likes the acoustic sound and removing it is unlikely to change sound, why not just leave it in? Then guitar is the same and pickup is there in event he wants to plug in occasionally, and no time/cost of having pickup removed and choosing and buying a different pickup.
Well he should not forget the battery that could get old... I know that 9v batteries seldom leaks... but they will probably if you wait long enough.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 02-14-2017, 02:30 PM

I'm frankly surprised how good guitars can sound unplugged with pickup systems much larger than the Lyric.

While I like the feel of guitars that are 'light as a feather' as much as anyone, I don't fully subscribe to the idea that total weight of a guitar is a big factor of tone if for nothing else than rosewood being heavier than mahogany, for example. That said, it certainly seems like adding electronics under the saddle with wires connected to a preamp jack (if not small circuit board) and battery bag/box would hurt tone irrespective of weight...but that hasn't been my experience.

Last edited by Warrenaines; 02-14-2017 at 02:37 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification