The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-05-2009, 11:23 AM

Default any good songwriting books?

Been looking around on-line to maybe buy a book or two on songwriting, and there's quite a lot of them out there. Before I decide on a couple, I was wondering if anyone had one they really liked or thought was very helpful.

I'm not looking for some type of magic formula, I know you can't learn exactly how it works from a book. But everytime I've read anything, it always seems to get me inspired (and at least thinking more about things) so I thought it might be fun to read a few.

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller
Old 10-05-2009, 01:55 PM

...just my opinion
I think, all great songs ever written and one's ear are, in a way, better guidelines than a book, which can only show some vague ideas or directions one could apply. Let's face it, musically speaking, it's highly subjective when comes to format (AABA, etc.) or chord structures.
However, I believe, books on song lyrics can be very helpful.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:02 PM

I have this one. It's really good:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Write-Song...4773611&sr=8-9

It comes with a CD for demo on the guitar chord progressions. I think that this is what you are looking for.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:29 AM

Thanks for the responses and advice.

I do agree with you, Bern, that listening to music and what you're playing yourself are the most useful things. And that the idea of how a "good" song should go is very subjective (I would find it hard to choose a favorite between say "Cluck Old Hen" and "Deacon Blues", for example - everyone has favorites that are all over the place, usually).

But just to maybe have an interesting book or two to see what they're all about might be fun. Yes, and something about writing better words would also be very helpful, too.

Thanks for the link, Alexkstr. Looking at the sample pages, it looks good and is specific to guitar. Might give that a try!

Old 10-06-2009, 06:08 AM

shawlie
Some time ago I copied a few pages out of book "Sing and Shine On!" by Nick Page on how to re-create songs, etc. I wish I would have copied more but I was just beginning and more stupid than now. Can't recall the library but you might try to find it.
Hank
Old 10-06-2009, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

I've always like: "The Craft of Lyric Writing" by Sheila Davis
Old 10-07-2009, 01:26 PM

Hey, thanks for both the suggestions - I'll take a look at them and see which ones I'll eventually get ordered.

"Writing Better Lyrics" by Pat Pattison seems to get a lot of praise in the reviews and it sounds interesting. Anyone try it and found it useful?

Also "Melody In Songwriting" by Jack Perricone looked like a nice book - anyone have any ideas about how useful they found it?

Again, thanks for the tips!

Old 10-07-2009, 05:28 PM

Hi Shawlie ,i think you may be thinking somewhere along my lines maybe as i have an enormous understanding of the life i have lived ,i also even though probably somehwat less than your self have a fair understanding of chord structure and music ..............the thing i look for now is that hidden door that mars the two together to create original songs .Where is the door to such a format .
I can create music ........i can write words what is missing that isnt joining them up .

AND THEN POW ......the other day that door appeared ....i wrote a song to my music ......and wow ,my best effort yet .I am working now on refining what i got and am sooo optomistic i got one .LIKE The old fella in the film ON GOLDEN POND its a whopper .

But just as i read your post i thought ,where is that door now .It is as elusive as ever once again and to the naked eye gone .

This also reminds me of a thing neil young said when talking to dylan and dylan said he doesnt know the man who wrote blowing in the wind anymore or like a rolling stone .
And young said yea that thing which creates songs like that is something no way you can own ..................you just have to be gratefull when it shows up ................
i think i understand this .

Also we have an artist called Paul Weller who i kind of grew up with .He hit the charts first with a band The Jam and has a string of successes .Then nothing .....it was like a big hole swallowed him up .He even said he never thought he ever would play a guiter again .
Then again bang and out of knowhere he creates an album WILD WOOD .............absolute genius .

But it just shows me that a lot of money over the years must have been spent trying to buy that thing which can never be owned .But what the hell ,it keeps us occupied while we wait eh
Old 10-07-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern View Post
...just my opinion
I think, all great songs ever written and one's ear are, in a way, better guidelines than a book, which can only show some vague ideas or directions one could apply. Let's face it, musically speaking, it's highly subjective when comes to format (AABA, etc.) or chord structures.
However, I believe, books on song lyrics can be very helpful.
I tend to agree with this, I'd add in the bad songs too. Even easier to learn what not to do from songs that are horrible for one reason or another.

IMO, learning to play lots of songs and studying lots of music helped me be more creative and open me to new possiblities. I'm writing better now than ever, I think.

Careful study of harmony, melody, rhythm, form, etc. will give you the tools to advance as a songwriter.

As much of a book guy that I am, it's hard to find books that truly help with composition and improvisation. The books that will help you the most are about closely related topics.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:41 AM

Hey, thanks for your thoughts on the matter, Zelator and arthur.

I always enjoy your posts, Zelator, and you make some interesting points, I agree. "It keeps us occupied while we wait", I like that and it is kind of why I'm interested in looking through some books about it. I'm not expecting to learn great secrets that only a lucky few may know - I may not even get one useful out of any book on the subject - I would just like to read bout it, and see how other people go about it.

In a way, just to be more involved with the whole process. Just to have some things to read early in the morning, or late at night, or on a bus or train - times when I can't actually play and would still like to be active with it.

And I know what you mean when you have that feeling when you've made something up that you really, really like. It's quite good. I've made up quite a number of songs, but only some give me that feeling of satisfaction. Perhaps it's misplaced satisfaction, but writing songs is more or less why I wanted to start playing anyway. I don't feel I have a lot to say, but nothing gives me more pleasure than coming up with a tune I'm really happy with and seeing what happens with the words.

And hope to hear a post of your new song here, too!

And I agree with your comments, as well Arthur. You ake a good point bringing up bad songs as well - learn from other's "mistakes" so you don't have to make them yourself (well, "mistakes" is probably too big a word for it in this case, I think).

And you're right - I should probably be reading more in general to help my writing (which is always the first advice any writing teacher seems to offer). What kinds of things would you call "closely related topics"? Things like poetry, or music theory or even something like a play? What kinds of things (as well as looking at harmony, rhythm, melody, etc.) have you found useful? I know it's different for everyone, but if you have an example I'd really like hearing it!

Thanks again!

Old 10-08-2009, 05:57 AM

Great topic, and good advice folks!

A few years back when I was "stuck in a rut" I went out looking for the same thing and ran across The Essential Secrets Of Songwriting & Guitar Chord Progressions, both ebooks by Gary Ewer, I had never heard of the guy before, but for the price of $15 for both I figured I would take a chance. (I had exhausted all the books at my local library.

Long story short, they were a fun read, and really helped me focus on parts I had not focused on before. I think they are worth a look IMHO.

Hope this helps!
TTM-KAE

"Whether you have good taste or not depends on how many people agree with you" - George Martin
Old 10-11-2009, 08:57 AM

Hi there,

I've found that this book has some good ideas in it:

The Guitarist's Guide to Composing and Improvising Book/CD Pack by Jon Damian

http://www.amazon.com/Guitarists-Gui.../dp/0634016350

Got some good exercise which helped me think of different ways of approaching songwriting. I'd say it's worth a look.

Good luck with the search.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write