The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-01-2009, 06:09 PM

Default Help With A Performance...

It's been 5 years since I am not on stage...

I volunteered to play a song to raise money for a non-profit foundation. One song (4min) and people vote for you and keep giving money.

I decided I will perform a relatively easy song - Wonderwall by Oasis. My thinking is - everyone knows it, it's popular, it has a nice beat, only 4 chords for the verses, 3 for the bridge, 4 for the chorus. SIMPLE....

I could use some advice in general for the performance.

I will be using my Larrivée LV03 (not my 814ce), and my acoustic amp Marshall AS50R and an AudioTechnica Mic
Old 10-02-2009, 08:09 AM

Audience participation. Get 'em singing and all, but go one better and get one or several onstage. (Bring a friend and place in the audience just in case you have no willing participants.) Also talk the idea up to some folks before you go onstage. Mingle the crowd.

Say, "I need some help up here, we all need a bit of help that's why we're here, isn't it? So in the spirit of the benefit . . . and so on." "Put your hands, together . . ." Bring a tambourine, maracas, etc.

You stay off mike and tell them the lyrics before they sing them. If they sing badly, then you can get closer to the mike and drown them out. The song will not be perfect musically but it will a performance that everyone will watch. Don't think of yourself of a performer, but a producer. This is not about you, it is about everyone having fun; you're just there to help.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:14 PM

Thanks for the great advice guys. I'll keep you posted.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:53 PM

So show date is Wednesday... decided to play Mr. Jones because it has a better beat to it... And after a while, I could definitely tell a HUGE difference in the BBand pickup and the ES. I love the ES, period.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:43 PM

The show went great, but I could not hear my guitar. I will have to do some sound checking in the actual location where I will play next time

Thanks for the recommendations guys!
Old 10-21-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofapco View Post
Too bad about not hearing your guitar. Could the audiance hear it? I have played places where I could not hear much from myself but people in the audiance could hear just fine.

I agree though, a good sound check is a must! Every time gets easier!

Congrats on your performance!
Thanks Paul, yeah, the audience was able to hear it. I had the amp BEHIND me... small show, about 200 people in an auditorium for work. We raised over $1,000 for a charity organization.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write