The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-12-2018, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

If recording on an ipad (pro or older model) does anyone know how much space you'd need to store the files? Let's say you recorded an hour's worth of acoustic guitar (two mics) at optimal quality, I'm a little worried that my little 32 GB memory would not be enough since a lot of that space is already spoken for.
Maple Beneteau for sale
Old 03-12-2018, 11:00 AM

Thanks for all the great input. It appears there are more than one audio interface that would work with my iPad Pro. I ended up ordering the Roland Rubix 22 ($130 from Sam Ash for being a new customer). It is very similar to PreSonus AudioBox iTwo the Steinberg UR22mkII. Since it is essentially a new product, I figured it might be more up to date in regard to working with Apple IOS 11. Reviews indicate it works well with the iPad and that it performs great for what it is. Like some other audio interfaces for the iPad, it requires a Lightning to USB camera adapter (which I already own). I also ordered two AKG p170 small diaphragm condenser microphones from American Musical Supply. I called them up and they gave me a deal over the phone - $89 each. BTW - I put my iRig Mic Studio USB microphone up for sale on ebay Thanks again for all your help.
Christopher
Old 03-12-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny B View Post
If recording on an ipad (pro or older model) does anyone know how much space you'd need to store the files? Let's say you recorded an hour's worth of acoustic guitar (two mics) at optimal quality, I'm a little worried that my little 32 GB memory would not be enough since a lot of that space is already spoken for.
At 16 bit 44.1 KHz (CD quality), an hour of stereo audio is 635 MB. As long as you have 1 GB free you should be fine.

Here is a handy site that shows file sizes for different formats, sampling rates and bit depths:
http://www.audiomountain.com/tech/audio-file-size.html

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 03-14-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigen View Post
Thanks for all the great input. It appears there are more than one audio interface that would work with my iPad Pro. I ended up ordering the Roland Rubix 22 ($130 from Sam Ash for being a new customer). It is very similar to PreSonus AudioBox iTwo the Steinberg UR22mkII. Since it is essentially a new product, I figured it might be more up to date in regard to working with Apple IOS 11. Reviews indicate it works well with the iPad and that it performs great for what it is. Like some other audio interfaces for the iPad, it requires a Lightning to USB camera adapter (which I already own). I also ordered two AKG p170 small diaphragm condenser microphones from American Musical Supply. I called them up and they gave me a deal over the phone - $89 each. BTW - I put my iRig Mic Studio USB microphone up for sale on ebay Thanks again for all your help.
Christopher
Sounds like a great setup. And thanks, you just answered two of my questions! I might wanna look into the P170. I already know that the P120 records well but I see lots of guys doing the x-y set up with the pencil style mics like the P170. Do they come with shock mounts?
Old 03-14-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny K View Post
Sounds like a great setup. And thanks, you just answered two of my questions! I might wanna look into the P170. I already know that the P120 records well but I see lots of guys doing the x-y set up with the pencil style mics like the P170. Do they come with shock mounts?
Hi Johnny, sorry but they don't come with shock mounts.

Christopher
Old 03-14-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigen View Post
Hi Johnny, sorry but they don't come with shock mounts.

Christopher
Thanks. The P120's dont either. I had to buy them on Amazon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Tags
audio interface, ipad, microphones, recording guitar, stereo mic