The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-10-2005, 11:19 AM
Me

Russ,
It is a bit addictive, but I have other things that keep me busy too. My guitar playing is suffering a bit, I'm not riding my mountain bike very much either. But I am having fun. I am very excited to get this guitar finished. I think it is going to sound great, but I won't know until I'm done - and even then it will take a while to open up. The thing is live. Last night my son noticed that if he held his hand over the sound hole and tapped it at the bridge location, a nice puff of wind came out of the sound hole. It sounds like a drum when tapped - I think that is good.
I do not have a timeline, I work on it when I can sneak off into the shop. This week was good - Monday and Tuesday I could work on it, Wednesday I could not. I'll be able to work on it tonight. I need to get going on the neck. My hope is to bring it to the So Cal thing on 4/16. I'll bring it no matter what - finished or not.
If you ever want to stop by, let me know - I'm only about 60 miles away.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:05 PM
Me

(Removed.)

Last edited by SteveS; 03-17-2005 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:49 AM
Me

Bending flamed maple binding is not so easy. Not so fun either. I'll figure it out, but just keep back while I do.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:54 AM

What is the trick to keeping the binding router bit at the correct angle to the sides? I'm assuming the router base is beveled slightly, but when you are working around the ends I would also assume that bevel changes gradually.

Goya GG-5
Blueridge BR-160
Blueridge BG-60
Pimental Requinto 1977
Old 03-11-2005, 07:59 AM

Steve,

Your guitar is looking really sweet! And did I mention that I'm having fun just following your progress?!

Seriously Cool!

'03 714CE-LTD -- '92 K22CE -- '95 PRS
Old 03-11-2005, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS
Bending flamed maple binding is not so easy. Not so fun either. I'll figure it out, but just keep back while I do.

Using LESS water is the general consensus for bending highly figured wood, and after that, just go VERY slow. I've even seen a few guys suggest bending them dry, but I don't like that at all, as the water helps to keep the wood from burning. Also, back the wood up with a little bit of sheet metal, something like spring steel.

And by the way, I have yet to figure out the eight string guitar, since you asked.

Gabriel
Old 03-11-2005, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgesMan
What is the trick to keeping the binding router bit at the correct angle to the sides? I'm assuming the router base is beveled slightly, but when you are working around the ends I would also assume that bevel changes gradually.

That's one way. The more comon thing, these days, is to use one of THESE.

Gabriel
Old 03-12-2005, 01:10 AM
Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Hoffman
Using LESS water is the general consensus for bending highly figured wood, and after that, just go VERY slow.............. Also, back the wood up with a little bit of sheet metal, something like spring steel.
Thanks, I'll try less water and spring steel. I'm going very slow, but I think you are right - it needs some support.

Quote:
And by the way, I have yet to figure out the eight string guitar, since you asked.
Cool guitar, that's too bad. I have enough trouble with 6 strings.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:15 AM
Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickensDad
....did I mention that I'm having fun just following your progress?!
Keith,
I'm glad you're having fun from so far away!
It is your turn to come here if you want to play it. (I've been to Florida to play his guitar!)
I hope people are enjoying watching this come together. It is a bit scary to have my first one be this public - what if it is a pile of junk when I'm done? I hope to have it together for the 4/16 SoCal get together. I don't have much time - it'll be close.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:20 AM
Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgesMan
I don't have the fancy jig that Gabriel linked to. My laminate trimer does have an angled base. Yes the angle changes over the hole back, so I try to get it close. I'm thinking it isn't that important that the angle is perfect, but I haven't glued the binding on yet - so I'll let you know if close is close enough.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:09 AM

Steve -- Your guitar looks fantastic. Nobody would ever guess it's your first.

I'm struggling along -- but enjoying -- my Stewmac 000 kit. Got my cedar top joined and now ready to sand and thickness it.

Question: Did you tap tone your Cedar top? To what thickness did you thin it, and did you plane like Cumpiano does in his book, or what? Thanks -- Will
Old 03-12-2005, 11:03 AM

Thumbs up

Hi Steve
It's me Nap, I didn't see this Thread until now!!! (and that shows how naive I am, I guess)
When I got home yesterday from delivered you the Dred cases. I was thinking man this guy is great, he'll be a decent luthier from what my eyes could see in his creation, and even already accomplished fingerstyler from what you kindly played for me on your beautiful 812 cocobolo that I never had a chance to see or touch that real thing before, and I have to say I was scare to handle it.It's a work of art IMHO.
Now I've found this Thread to my surprise!, so am I the first member or one of the first that lucky enough to see your creation and also touch it?
As I told you I'll be at Dennis place on April 16th, but I didn't know that you guys've been in touch since you start this project in January!
Just want to say it's really my pleasure to meet you and Lisa and your 2 kids, and like I said you'd better bring Lisa or even better bring your whole family to the Gathering and let Russ play your finished creation.(well I beat him to that 'cause I played that thing without string or even neck before him!!!)
So I'm looking forward to see you and your family at Dennis place and no I'm not gonna play your guitar, I'm already got intimidated by your fluid fingers on that song and I'm sure that it's only the tip of your icebergs!
Old 03-12-2005, 11:29 AM
Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Franklin
Did you tap tone your Cedar top? To what thickness did you thin it, and did you plane like Cumpiano does in his book, or what?
Will, I cheated - I had LMI thickness sand the top for me. I asked for 0.115" but it came in at 0.120". I wonder if they tapped it and decided to stop there.???
I did buy a powermax 16/32 drum sander, but it just came this week and is still in the box. To plane it like Cumpiano like too much bother.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:33 AM
Me

Napman,
You are so kind, I am not worthy. Thank you for coming down and bringing your lovely with you. My family and I very much enjoyed meeting you and your wife. This forum has the nicest people.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS
Thanks, I'll try less water and spring steel. I'm going very slow, but I think you are right - it needs some support.

Actually, now that my mind is more awake, if it is maple, you really want a stainless spring steel. If it is a blue steel, it will leave stains. These can be removed with oxalic acid, but why not just avoid them.

Gabriel

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop