The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 10:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

The tucarensis guitar is commissioned. The pear, the Limba, and the Uke are all spec pieces. The Limba will be inexpensive for one of my guitars, as was the Tucarensis, as they are examples of my WRX series. The Pear will be somewhat more normally priced as it has all the normal bells and whistles as well as a couple of surprises I haven't revealed yet.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Amusing myself

I wonder how Bob would grade this ebony?

Old 04-25-2014, 04:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Scribed!

Looks like I'll have the bridge on the OMish in about an hour. That means strings are probable tomorrow! I cannot deny it, stringing is the best part.

ALL wood has run out, I've said that many a time here, but I had not seen any obvious sign of it in this guitar top till this photo, and it is a good example of how to find it if that's what you want to do. The recipe is a single light source held quite near, at an acute angle to the camera which is at the opposite acute angle.

Well, yeah, but check out that silking!
Old 04-25-2014, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Bruce,

You're being obtuse...:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Looks like I'll have the bridge on the OMish in about an hour. That means strings are probable tomorrow! I cannot deny it, stringing is the best part.

ALL wood has run out, I've said that many a time here, but I had not seen any obvious sign of it in this guitar top till this photo, and it is a good example of how to find it if that's what you want to do. The recipe is a single light source held quite near, at an acute angle to the camera which is at the opposite acute angle.

Well, yeah, but check out that silking!
Old 04-25-2014, 04:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

That's what I get from being acute! Just call me bi-polar, I guess.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:56 PM

Bruce my friend, if you keep posting pictures of your beautiful instruments I'm going to have to find the money to have you build me one.

Colin

Ensor ES (Sycamore/Lutz)
Halcyon (Flamed walnut/Engelmann)
Taylor 324ce
Taylor Baritone 6
Warwick Streamer
Eastman MD505

"I only drink coffee on days ending in 'y' "
Old 04-25-2014, 05:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Your emoticon finds that notion hysterical, but I would very much like you to continue down the path to my well tended garden.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:28 PM

Trust me, it is tempting, though it would take a herculean effort on my part to squirrel away the money. The house fund is taking precedence right now.

Ensor ES (Sycamore/Lutz)
Halcyon (Flamed walnut/Engelmann)
Taylor 324ce
Taylor Baritone 6
Warwick Streamer
Eastman MD505

"I only drink coffee on days ending in 'y' "
Old 04-25-2014, 06:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Pear surprise!

The pear 000 has binding on the top, and will soon have the back as well.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

I managed a brief visit to Bruces shop today - had to take a first hand look at some of these latest projects.

He did just get the tuners on, but there wasn't enough time to string her up - I'm going to try and get by on Monday on my way back home to actually give it a try, but it sure is looking good. I thought I'd post the latest pic, that way I could get Bruce in there too -

I also had a quick play on a couple other instruments there. One, just about to ship out, was the most amazing 0 size flamed maple "Companion" model - I can't even find the words to describe how amazing this maple guitar sounded. What comes to mind immediately was that this didn't sound like maple - it was too rich, too balanced, and far too full for such a small bodied instrument. I didn't linger with it, no good comes of lusting over the possessions of others, but it reinforced how talented Bruce is - that any material he chooses to use, he'll get more out of it than anyone else could. I also had a chance to try a beautiful steel-stringed fan fret ukulele. Now, I'm not big on the uke scene, so maybe everyone has already played steel string ukes, but I never had, and it completely blew me away. Incredible tone, beautifully balanced - I think its a vastly superior instrument to any travel guitar I've played - a bit pricier, yes, but playability and sound was outstanding. Took a quick pic of that too -

Finally, I had a chance to play a few of his "trade-ins" - Bruce offers his customers a chance to trade in an instrument that he's sold them if they decide to "upgrade" - I don't have all the details, but it's a pretty cool offer, and he has in stock a few "gently broken-in" models that are really great instruments at very fair prices. I won't give you any real details on them, as there are a couple I've got to think seriously about. I'm sure if anyone wanted more info, Bruce would be happy to offer it -

Finally - I have to say that its such a privilege to be able to sample these incredible instruments. There are so many really incredible small shops and solo builders out there today, but there are only a few, like Bruce, who really are at the top of their game - artists themselves on so many levels creating so much more than just well-built guitars, and they are truly inspiring.

I hope I get a chance to spend some more time there Monday - I'll try to get a few more pics of the shop -

Now back to our regularly scheduled program -

Old 04-26-2014, 07:55 PM

That sounds like a wonderful visit tadol... thanks for taking the time to share it. Looks like Bruce even cleaned the shop for you... or not.

I have been fortunate enough to be taken care of under that trade-in offer you mentioned. Bruce was very accommodating when I had a change in needs owing to some ergonomic issues I was having. If the first guitar Bruce built for me is still in the shop I hope you get/got a chance to play it... It is a cracker. Edit: Just ask for "Goldie"

Last edited by Berf; 04-27-2014 at 01:59 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:49 AM
AGF Sponsor

Tad has been to the shop a few times now, and seems to be well on the road to a good friend. Thanks for the fine POV post, Tad.

The amazon graft looks great to me in the pear, but is just a portent of what is to come as the Pear takes on its true color with the addition of UV and Varnish.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

I haven't made a neck for the Limba yet, so it'll be a while till finish goes on. But meanwhile, I am really enjoying the way this guitar looks, and I thought some of you might too. I've got it down to #220 grit at this point.

This Engelmann is creamy in color AND texture! This picture is a good example of how to deal with a top from a small tree (which means that visible run out it pretty much impossible to avoid). In this case the run out is more prevelent at one end than the other (as it always is) so that end was chosen to go under the fingerboard.

If I were building this for you, you'd be pretty excited!
Old 05-05-2014, 06:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

It's ridiculous, but once again I have shipped a guitar w/o taking final photos of it. The owner has already taken delivery of the D tuc WRX and named the guitar a success. Perhaps he will post a pic or two for you, perhaps not. I have these two pics i took to make sure he approved of the PG and the truss rod cover, and then it was gone.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:00 PM

Ah! Finally, a pic of the finished head plate. Since the beginning of this topic, I've been curious about what that piece would look like when finished. Beautiful! Bruce, you picked a great piece of wood for that head plate. Love it.

Reid
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop