The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-08-2020, 12:35 PM

No words (without post being deleted) can express my thoughts,
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 07-08-2020, 02:21 PM

Just last year I thought that $300 M contracts were a lot of money!
Old 07-08-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Just last year I thought that $300 M contracts were a lot of money!
And the way the food chain works my monthly cable TV bill continues to rise...
Old 07-08-2020, 03:26 PM

So, I‘m gonna’ be the guy that poops on everyone’s cornflakes.

First, I like sports. I especially like football and I especially like the Eagles. (Don’t flame me, it’s genetic. And, yes, I know a fan threw a snowball at Santa Claus.)

I truly understand the big money to players. Really, I do. The game is a complex economic model designed to generate profit for the owners through multiple revenue streams. I’m fine with that because I’m a capitalist.

But a shout out to the little guy who cannot afford to take his wife and 2.3 children to a game to watch Mahones play for his $503M. $50 for parking, $400 for StubHub tickets (maybe), $14 for a giant can of beer, $8 for a hot dog, $6 for soggy popcorn and forget about buying the kiddies a souvenir.

I’m not a malcontent. People earn what they earn based on what they do and the choices they make (most of the time, maybe). But it’s sure is tough to take in a live major league sport any more...
Old 07-08-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post

But a shout out to the little guy who cannot afford to take his wife and 2.3 children to a game to watch Mahones play for his $503M. $50 for parking, $400 for StubHub tickets (maybe), $14 for a giant can of beer, $8 for a hot dog, $6 for soggy popcorn and forget about buying the kiddies a souvenir.
That guy can watch on tv for free like ne, or if he insists on seeing every Mahomes games, he can sign up for one of the cable packages, which I would never do. And if they can't afford either of those, worrying about the contract is probably a waste of time.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:41 PM

i also think KC will regret this
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 07-09-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
So, I‘m gonna’ be the guy that poops on everyone’s cornflakes.

First, I like sports. I especially like football and I especially like the Eagles. (Don’t flame me, it’s genetic. And, yes, I know a fan threw a snowball at Santa Claus.)

I truly understand the big money to players. Really, I do. The game is a complex economic model designed to generate profit for the owners through multiple revenue streams. I’m fine with that because I’m a capitalist.

I’m not a malcontent. People earn what they earn based on what they do and the choices they make (most of the time, maybe). But it’s sure is tough to take in a live major league sport any more...
Fortunately I don't eat cornflakes.

I'm like you. All sports (at least the NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA) have become too expensive for a family outing for the reasons you specified. Ticket price, parking, food, drink. And you're not supposed to bring any food/drink into the venue either.

We're long past a family sports outing costing the same, or a little more, than a movie but those must have been great days.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Fortunately I don't eat cornflakes.

I'm like you. All sports (at least the NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA) have become too expensive for a family outing for the reasons you specified. Ticket price, parking, food, drink. And you're not supposed to bring any food/drink into the venue either.

We're long past a family sports outing costing the same, or a little more, than a movie but those must have been great days.
When I look around I don't feel, or IMHO look that old. But it's time for an old man story nonetheless.

I used to pay 25 cents for the express bus to Candlestick park, and get a kids bleacher seat for 75 cents. Early 70s.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
When I look around I don't feel, or IMHO look that old. But it's time for an old man story nonetheless.

I used to pay 25 cents for the express bus to Candlestick park, and get a kids bleacher seat for 75 cents. Early 70s.
I just checked how that would compare adjusted for inflation. 75 cents in 1973 would equate to $4.33 today. Could you imagine getting into a non pandemic MLB game now for $4.33?
Old 07-09-2020, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty bradbury View Post
No words (without post being deleted) can express my thoughts,
It's ridiculous and absurd.
Old 07-10-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post

I bought New Jersey Season tickets for the 2007-08 season when I was traveling for work on assignment on Wall Street. It was the first year that they were in the new Prudential Center. $20 / ticket and no tax. Upper balcony but it was great to see those games. Couldn't get NY Rangers season tickets because they were sold out ... but they would have been considerably more expensive.
Old 07-11-2020, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
...and spectacularly poorly timed.
Old 07-11-2020, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
How many Tim Hortons could Mahomes buy with $503M? That's a lot of Timbits.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:33 AM

Whit regard to how it's probably structured, I recently read some about how many players sign contracts that have clauses that guarantee them a yearly salary (oof many hundreds of thousands per year) for decades beyond their playing days. (Bobby Bonilla's last $5.9M was put into an account that earns 8% interest and is scheduled to pay him until 2035.)

As a resident of Las Vegas, the LV Raiders make the local paper regularly and one recent article was about a retired player who still receives a $1M+ yearly check. I can't remember his name or exactly how much the check is but it was substantial!

I can only imagine how long Mr. Mahomes will be paid once his playing days are over.

Oh well, I'm still happy to contemplate my own, significantly smaller, retirement income that will begin in a few years.

Besides, that much money would be far too complicated to even think about for someone like me.

Best,
PJ
Old 07-11-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
How many Tim Hortons could Mahomes buy with $503M? That's a lot of Timbits.
That is a lot of timbits. Enough to fill a stadium. I heard they were going to make a cereal based on timbits, and no, I'm not joking.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic