The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-26-2017, 03:33 PM

Default Considering a Tascam DR-40

Title says it all.

Would like to hear comments on this unit or whatever you are using to record. Ease of use.

My use will be for lessons and recording acoustic guitar at home.

TIA.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:01 PM

Thumbs up Can Go Wrong With ANY TASCAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
Title says it all.

Would like to hear comments on this unit or whatever you are using to record. Ease of use.

My use will be for lessons and recording acoustic guitar at home.

TIA.
Reliable unit , I got the DR44WL it's the same basic unit with wifi control added more or less .

They can double up as a X/Y mic input for recording into a DAW from their line out's .

EZ :

HR

Life has always been interesting to me

Old 08-26-2017, 05:45 PM

I have the DR44 too. I don't really use the Wifi capabilities. It is a great sounding recorder and I have had a bunch. Also it's digital and theoretically should sound much like any other digital recorder, it is much smoother sounding. I really like the reverb on the DR44. I do notice that the DR40 has EQ. That seems a plus, although I don't really miss it on my DR44.

I do record most often with an external preamp and decent mics. But, I was plenty happy when using the unit's mics and when recording through the unit's XLR inputs.

For the price of the DR40, I don't think you can do better without spending hundreds more. And, truthfully, those hundreds more aren't going to buy you that much better sound, if any.

With the reverb, eq, ability to overdub and mix 4 tracks, you'll be able to produce some nice sounding recordings and have a lot of fun.
Old 08-27-2017, 05:44 AM

I have one and it's been great. Battery life is great. My brother owns a competitor model (Zoom H4N) and is always replacing batteries, especially when using phantom power. The locking lugs on the combi connectors are great. The ability double track and end up with a four track recording is nice. The built in mics do a great job capturing sound.

My only gripes are the on-board speaker isn't that loud (headphones work better) and the need to remember which inputs you are using is imperative. The slide switch on the side must be set to the right spot or you will not get anything. I wish there were some kind of auto detect feature there as a safe guard.

I'm not sure exactly how the mixdown works, but I've used it and got good results. Running off USB power when doing that might not be a bad idea.

I have recorded several ways with mine:
Internal mics with DR40 sitting on the ground
Internal mics with DR40 sitting on a tripod
Internal mics with DR40 sitting on music stand
Guitar and dynamic Mic direct in
Guitar and condenser Mic direct in
Electric guiitar and both types of mics in
Bass guitar direct in
Headphone out from Yamaha THR5 into DR40
Two condenser mics direct in
Out of computer into one side, dynamic Mic in other side
Out of a mixer with bass, guitar, several vocals

And always got good quality recordings.
Old 08-27-2017, 01:31 PM

Very few negative comments. Must be a good thing.

Thanks for the posts.

Last edited by 3notes; 08-27-2017 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:57 PM

I have a DR-05 that I love. I have a bunch of other recording equipment, but the DR-05 is the best "sketch pad" recorder I have. The sale price was $85, so not much of an outlay for what it does.

If you're looking for simple, do consider how often you'll have any use for advanced features. All that comes with a price and complexity that might not be appreciated for a simple field recorder.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD