The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-15-2019, 07:10 PM

Default Plain steels

So what is the consensus? I've already discovered that I like to replace the B and high E on lights sets with a 13 and 17 for my short scale guitars. But, I swear I like the tone of the bronze flashed steels or even the tin plated Martin strings more than the "plain" steels.

Maybe I'm just crazy, reading too much into it.....perception bias?
Old 12-16-2019, 01:57 AM

A while back I put on a set of Martin flexible core strings. The two top strings were apparently plated because they had more of a bronze color, and I did think that they sounded a little better.
Old 12-16-2019, 02:32 AM
Charter Member

For many yeas, I've used D'addario pretty much exclusively and for a long time I swapped out the 1st and 2nd on my dreads for light gauge which were elixir, D'add, or Balls.

Earlier this year with a;l the discussion about the reduced string offerings from Martin I bought a bunch of Martin SPs. - still have some.

I really liked the look of the Goldie coloured unwounds, but didn't perceive any radical difference in tone. I bought one set of their new "Authentic" SPs and noticed that the unwound strings were grey and mottled looking like low quality steel. I also found the tone of the whole set less than edifying so took 'em off after a week or so.

I'm not that happy that D'addario pack their ten pack strings in cheaper non protecting packing causing the so called "VCI" inner packing to be punctured by being squeezed so hard.

Seems we are being offered lesser standard quality and encouraged to buy their fancy XT type stuff.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion