The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-14-2019, 07:42 PM

Default Something I did not realize about roadworn guitars

I was in the local GC this afternoon, wandering around, saw a roadworn model* and had a look at the part where the finish was supposed to be worn down to the wood from years of hard gigging in city dives & backwoods honkytonks & all, and I discovered that that area was protected by the same nice factory-fresh gloss finish as the rest of the guitar.

Which kind of reduces the authenticity quotient, I feel.

Old 12-14-2019, 08:32 PM

My gut reaction to relicing in general is that it is absurd, but...

This particular model looks like it sells for around $4,000, so if I'm going to force myself to try to be objective about it, then I'd have to ask how much would one of these cost in a non-reliced state (assuming they exist). If the answer is still in the neighbourhood of $4,000, then I guess you could consider the reliced model as just another available style, in which case I guess you'd want the guitar to hold up as well as the other styles, hence the gloss finish over the reliced bits.

But I'm sticking with my gut reaction.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:57 PM

Oh, it's a nice guitar, no question there.

It's just . . . it seemed weird. I used to think "A relic'ed guitar, hey how ya gonna tell if it gets dinged ha ha." But know I know how people can tell.

I think I'm nonplussed.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

The first question for a discussion about roadworn or relic type guitars is why do people find old guitars desirable? The discussion goes on forever but never agreed on at any point. Personally I believe it's irrational exuberance as most aspects of the human experience is.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 12-15-2019, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

It does seem a bit oxymoronic to have new finish over "road worn" wood

But then as the Four Jacks and a Jill said so long ago, "It's a very strange world we live in Master Jack"

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 12-16-2019, 09:31 AM

Haha, I can tell this is the topic that is going to keep recurring in the electric guitar forum.
Old 12-16-2019, 10:06 AM

Just to make it clear, my opinion on roadworn/relic'ed isn't hostile, more like "Hey, whatever."

It's just the concept of going to what I am given to understand is a fair amount of trouble to create a convincing roadworn effect, and then totally undermining that effect, that has me thinking "Huh?".
Old 12-16-2019, 01:01 PM

nothing but a gimmick by the guitar companies aimed at guys who have money to burn.
Old 12-16-2019, 02:07 PM

I don't like relicing on acoustics because most people (save for Willie Nelson and a few others) keep their acoustics in good condition. But, for electrics, I don't mind it. And, it's something psychological too. Acoustics, to me, are used in more mellow music, while electrics are more about rock. So, seeing a beat up electric is more in line with that rock and roll, party thing.

I have a Eastman SB59v which a little relic on it and I don't mind it all. It sounds amazing.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 12-16-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
I don't like relicing on acoustics because most people (save for Willie Nelson and a few others) keep their acoustics in good condition. But, for electrics, I don't mind it. And, it's something psychological too. Acoustics, to me, are used in more mellow music, while electrics are more about rock. So, seeing a beat up electric is more in line with that rock and roll, party thing.

I have a Eastman SB59v which a little relic on it and I don't mind it all. It sounds amazing.
But that's the thing to me, it's not a beat up guitar. So when someone asks you about the bumps and bruises and stories that tell of the guitar's scars, you have to tell them "No it's made to look this way-it's brand spanking new. I would rather have been on the road with a band making these scars but I never got the chance, so I paid for this straight from the factory." Personally I'd be embarrassed to say that. I'd rather play a new looking guitar and totally avoid that potential conversation.
Old 12-16-2019, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
But that's the thing to me, it's not a beat up guitar. So when someone asks you about the bumps and bruises and stories that tell of the guitar's scars, you have to tell them "No it's made to look this way-it's brand spanking new. I would rather have been on the road with a band making these scars but I never got the chance, so I paid for this straight from the factory." Personally I'd be embarrassed to say that. I'd rather play a new looking guitar and totally avoid that potential conversation.
Clearly, then, YOU should not get one!

I have a roadworn tele and I love the guitar. I don't love it because it's got a relic finish - I don't really care much one way or the other. But it doesn't bother me in the least (it's pretty subtle actually). I had a strat for 25 years that got good and beat up the natural way - I hauled it around and played it everywhere, loaned it out a few times to questionable characters and got it back a bit the worse for wear. Nobody EVER asked about the bumps and bruises on that guitar. Nobody has ever asked about the fake bumps and bruises on my tele either. It just doesn't come up. And if it did, I'd have told them how the old one got beat up, and that the new one was made to look old. It's just a finish, like sunburst. I'm sick to death of sunburst but I've owned a couple that just happened to be fine guitars. I just don't care much one way or the other.

Fortunately we can all play what we like. I guess we can judge what other's play too. But I don't quite get why. Judge my playing - I'm not very good. But my choice of guitar? I don't get that...

-Ray
Old 12-16-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
I've never had anyone ask me about the history of any of my guitars, so it's never came up.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 12-18-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Which kind of reduces the authenticity quotient, I feel.
I have a fake Rolex that looks very authentic but never the less has no credibility what so ever hanging on the wrist of this poverty stricken farm boy. I'm going to take a wild guess that if you're under 30 and driving a 15 year old Chevy you're probably not fooling any guitar pickers other than yourself.

Last edited by PAPADON; 12-18-2019 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:33 PM

I despise the very concept.

It is about as phony as it is possible to get.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:18 PM

The relic'd guitars need to protect the wood which is why there's a finish on top of the bare wood.

I don't have a relic'd guitar nor would I pay a premium for one, but I'd like to have an authentic guitar beat up from actual playing.

Like any electric or acoustic, if I found one I liked that played great, sounded great, for a great price I'd buy one. Not because it's relic'd but because it's a great guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars