The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-13-2019, 04:55 PM

Lightbulb Schatten Artist 2 + 2 preamp experience?

I just got word from the company that this internal jack/preamp should be fine for using it to blend two Dimarzio Black Angels in my old d-45. Does anyone have experience wiring this setup they can share with me...

thanks for your time

jhv
Old 12-13-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumacker View Post
I just got word from the company that this internal jack/preamp should be fine for using it to blend two Dimarzio Black Angels in my old d-45. Does anyone have experience wiring this setup they can share with me...

thanks for your time

jhv
I recently bought one of the Schatten Design Player strap-jack preamps and wired a passive UST to it. The kit comes with instructions on exactly where to solder on the pickup leads and how to adjust the preamp gain. I presume that the Artist II would have similar instructions.

One way to use the Black Angel and the DiMarzio SBT in a dual source setup is to install the DiMarzio SBT kit and simply use the connected lead to plug into the Black Angel mag. Then you could use a stereo cable or a stereo-to-Y cable to run the two passive signals to a blender (as MrEricJ is doing) or two preamps (before sending the signals on to a mixer).

If you prefer to blend the mag and SBT signals onboard, then why not get the Artist II pre-assembled with one of Schatten Design's HFN SBTs? Then you'd only need to wire the Black Angel mag (as opposed to connecting both the mag and the DiMarzio SBT to the Artist II). The HFN SBT has a good reputation on the forum and the installation is easier to undo and redo if needed. (The HFN is installed with tape or putty. The DiMarzio SBT requires hide glue.)

I suspect that buying an Artist II with HFN would be much cheaper than buying the Artist II and the DiMarzio SBT kits separately.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:01 PM

Smile Completed

I finally got some time post Christmas to put the Schatten 2 channel pre-amp in my old Dreadnought. It worked very well with the Dimarzio Black Angels. the two pots allow you to blend both pickups and control the max amplification in order to restrict feedback. The Artist 2 + 2 pre-amp has a completely black back ground (i.e. silent). Having a lot of fun with the Tonewoodamp.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:32 AM

Thanks for the follow-up. Glad to learn its going well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification