The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-12-2019, 06:30 AM
Charter Member

Default Strap locks on Emerald ?

In considering strap locks on my X20, which is equipped with a HFN pickup, I see the Schaller type locks with a woodscrew attachment...guess those wood screws could be changed for machine bolts and nuts. I presume at the pickup end, I could attach the strap with use one of those large knurled nuts, and eliminate the need to drill an extra hole at that end.

I would appreciate advice from anyone who has installed strap locks on a CF guitar.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:08 AM

I didn't want to add any holes to my X20, so I got a Lock-it strap after asking Michael this same question. He works at MacNichol's. Been using it for 5 years now. Works great. With the pickup and strap knob the same, I can barely get it on though. Once on it has never fallen off.

If you have a strap you just have to use, then you might have to go another route. I did, but I gave that other strap to my kid after I tried out the Lock-it strap for a while.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 12-12-2019, 08:53 AM

Music Nomad makes a straplock attachment for acoustic guitar output jacks. They make them for standard and metric threads as well as Taylor ES2 jacks. I have them on 3 of my Taylors and I love them.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/sea...?s=Acousti-Lok

The new Schaller straplocks (S-Locks) are a huge improvement. The threads on the strap attachment are longer so you can actually get the nut on, and the nut locks on.

One important thing to note about the new straplocks though, is that the part that attaches to the guitar is one piece, screw and button, unlike on their older straplocks which had a separate wood screw. This is great for a wooden guitar, but not for your Emerald, which uses a machine screw and lock nut.

The old style buttons are still available from Schaller, or just about anywhere. I think Fender branded ones are exactly the same as Schaller, but a lot of the copies are probably fine too.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:59 AM

I'm using this on my X20...
https://www.tapastring.com/index.htm
Fender Ukelele

https://youtube.com/channel/UC7aq_u2nyCgtIPffgyWob1A
Old 12-12-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danz567 View Post
I'm using this on my X20...
https://www.tapastring.com/index.htm
I’ve used these for years on all my acoustics also - including Emerald X30 - keep the strap you love and be assured it’s not going anywhere, no hole drilling, etc.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:37 AM

I like this little doodad, it works very well and requires no mods to the guitar itself.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...tchcraft-jacks
Old 12-12-2019, 10:20 AM

These usually work for me. They come with free beer.

Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 12-12-2019, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Off topic but how do you like the HFN in the X20? Is it the passive or active version? I am looking for an X10 and would like to have the HFN active as the first output and the Krivo on the second output.
On topic Grolsch washers for the win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeway View Post
In considering strap locks on my X20, which is equipped with a HFN pickup, I see the Schaller type locks with a woodscrew attachment...guess those wood screws could be changed for machine bolts and nuts. I presume at the pickup end, I could attach the strap with use one of those large knurled nuts, and eliminate the need to drill an extra hole at that end.

I would appreciate advice from anyone who has installed strap locks on a CF guitar.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the ideas, all.

And in reference to the HFN Schatten, it is passive, and I like it. This is the third pickup on this guitar...started with Baggs Element (unbalanced output), then K&K 9 (too bass heavy), and the HFN, which is connected through a RedEye preamp to a Fishman Artist. I run the treble up on the preamp, and turn down the mid and low on the amp, and it sounds pretty good to my ears.

I may have to sample several of the Grolsch to find the right size strap lock...
Old 12-12-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
These usually work for me. They come with free beer.

Is that a Dutch beverage?
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-12-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Adams View Post
Music Nomad makes a straplock attachment for acoustic guitar output jacks. They make them for standard and metric threads as well as Taylor ES2 jacks. I have them on 3 of my Taylors and I love them.

The new Schaller straplocks (S-Locks) are a huge improvement. The threads on the strap attachment are longer so you can actually get the nut on, and the nut locks on.

One important thing to note about the new straplocks though, is that the part that attaches to the guitar is one piece, screw and button, unlike on their older straplocks which had a separate wood screw. This is great for a wooden guitar, but not for your Emerald, which uses a machine screw and lock nut.

The old style buttons are still available from Schaller, or just about anywhere. I think Fender branded ones are exactly the same as Schaller, but a lot of the copies are probably fine too.
FYI, if anyone is looking into the Music Nomad Straplock my L3 X10 1/4" jack is metric thread. I've not ordered one yet. But, Chloe at Emerald confirmed it's metric.
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 12-12-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Adams View Post

Does it work with jack of Baggs Element pickup?

Past:
2015 --- Maton S60
2016 --- Mini Maton EM6
ft. AP5 Original
2017 --- Cole Clark CCAN2EC-SR
ft. 3-way pickup
2017 --- Cole Clark CCLL1RM

Current:
2017 --- Anuenue M200
2018 --- Emerald X20 Opus
ft. satin neck + LR Baggs Element
Old 12-13-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albirw View Post
Does it work with jack of Baggs Element pickup?
I haven't tried an Acousti-Lok on either of my Emeralds (one with a K&K and one with a Baggs), but I have every reason to think it will work fine. Others seem to be having success with them. I believe you'd need the metric version for your Baggs Element.

So far I only have the Taylor version, which is very different from the standard and metric type. I really like them though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber