The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-11-2019, 04:08 PM

Default Looper suggestion

Got to get my son a looper for Xmas. He has about 20 pedals so he’s experienced—I am not. He has one now (ditto I believe) that was around $100 I think. He wants one that will do more and I don’t want to break the bank. Any suggestions at good price ? Thanks jed
Old 12-11-2019, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Kind of depends on what "more" he wants it to do. There are some that store many loops for future recall. There are some that run multiple loops at once. There are some that do tricks like a reverse loop or half speed, stuff like that. There are some with drum machines built in.

Really just depends on what he wants because there are a lot of very different directions he might want to go with it...

See if you can subtly get some more information out of him...

-Ray
Old 12-11-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Kind of depends on what "more" he wants it to do. There are some that store many loops for future recall. There are some that run multiple loops at once. There are some that do tricks like a reverse loop or half speed, stuff like that. There are some with drum machines built in.

Really just depends on what he wants because there are a lot of very different directions he might want to go with it...

-Ray
Thanks— Working on it now.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post

-Ray
Best I can tell, he is interested in running more/additional tracks, having them run longer, maybe running the tracks with different guitars ——. Sounds like just Pro of what he has.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

Hmm, I can be of some help with options for storing multiple tracks for later playback, but more performance oriented stuff isn’t my wheelhouse. Hopefully, others here will read this and be able to make some recommendations...
Old 12-12-2019, 05:41 AM

Take a look at the Boss RC-30 loop station. It’s very versatile.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 12-12-2019, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed1894 View Post
Best I can tell, he is interested in running more/additional tracks, having them run longer, maybe running the tracks with different guitars ——. Sounds like just Pro of what he has.
Well given what "a good price" or "not break the bank" are both vague at best. I will go out on a limb and suggest either a Boss RC 3 @ $189 https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...recorder-pedal

Or a Electro-Harmonix 720 @ $153 https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...o-looper-pedal

Both of which are still in the typical "Pedal" size format and will do what you are talking about as far a layering multiple tracks at a time

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 12-16-2019, 08:04 AM

There are some recent looper topics here that will be helpful to read.

The next step up from a Ditto would be something that has two buttons and memory locations. (The dedicated stop button is IMPORTANT.) Those bullet points can be met with the Electroharmonics 720 looper, around $150. I have the EHX720 and like it very much. There are photos of my looping rig in a few of those aforementioned topics.

The next step up the food chain would have more memory locations, possibly a phantom powered microphone input, and other assorted "features". A very popular choice at that level would be the RC-30, street price usually around $250.
Old 12-17-2019, 05:07 PM

Thanks guys. Very much appreciated
Old 12-18-2019, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

As another direction, this one is pretty cool for adding additional tracks that aren't guitar in addition to being a looperhttps://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...saAusXEALw_wcB
Old 12-18-2019, 09:51 AM

Boss RC-3 would be my choice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars