The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-08-2019, 02:08 PM

Default Telecaster Shopping ($500 or less)

I’ve wanted a Telecaster for a while now and have a little bit of
extra funds pick one up. I need to keep it around $500. I’ve had a Strat for about 20 years and have two good double humbuckers semi hollows and think a Tele would definitely fit in nicely.

What are some of your suggestions and experiences in this range. I’ve been researching the MIM standard Fenders, Squier Classic Vibes and G and L Tribute Asats and bluesboys. There’s a Daphne blue Deluxe Nashville on a local classified for sell for $500. Seems like a good deal, but I think I want the classic style that can give me the Bridge and Neck pickups together.

The Musicians Friend, $299 G and L blowouts are quite tempting as well. How is the quality on those? Do they give a good Tele tone or do more of
Their own thing? I know some have the MFD pickups which seem different:

Thanks for any input any of you might have on helping me find a Tele.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:25 PM

I think the ones you have listed would all be good choices. Hard to go wrong with any of them. More a matter of personal preference.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:48 PM

Default tele time

•if the Deluxe Nashville is a recent model, it may have the classic noiseless pickups. They are very clean pickups with a lower output and less character. I pulled the classic noiseless PUs out of the Deluxe MIM strat I bought, they just weren't juicy enough for me. Also, you already have a strat, so you're not really in need of a Nashville.
•used MIM teles are readily available. For less than your limit, you should be able to score one in very nice condition.
•I hear good things about the Squires, especially Classic Vibes- the necks are different though. Choose carefully, the $$ you save over a MIM, you may end up putting back into the Squire to bring the hardware/electronics up to acceptable.
•G&L is the company Leo forged when he let Fender go. I've never read a bad thing about any of his guitars. Fender is a name that a lot players want to have on their headstock tho.
•Good luck on your journey. For a simple instrument, the tele is very versatile and yet does things no other guitar can produce convincingly. For tons more info, check out the tele forum TDPRI.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
I think the ones you have listed would all be good choices. Hard to go wrong with any of them. More a matter of personal preference.
Thanks, you’re definitely right. The preference thing is tough though, since there’s not a great local selection to try.

I’ve also just learned that Fender replaced the standard series with the Player series. Those look nice, but sheesh, at $670 new, used MIA’s could be had for close to that. Maybe I could find a used Player series in my price range.

Last edited by RussL30; 12-08-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
Thanks, you’re definitely right. The preference thing is tough though, since there’s not a great local selection to try.

I’ve also just learned that Fender replaced the standard series with the Player series. Those look nice, but sheesh, at $670 new, used MIA’s could be had for close to that. Maybe I could find a used Player series in my price range.
You certainly could. The new Player series are head and shoulders above any previous mim version. Alnico V pickups, 22 fret, CTS POTS (This is a real plus!), fantastic fit and finish. I’d buy a used Player all day long...and depending on the model, even over some US made offerings.

Having owned a LOT of Strats/Teles...the Player series (specifically the Teles) are the best offering from Fender in a long time.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 12-08-2019, 03:04 PM

If I had a $500 budget for a Tele, I'd definitely be looking for a used MIM Classic 50s, Classic 60s, or Muddy Waters.
'02 American Series Strat – Sky Blue/RW
'05 Epiphone Les Paul – Amber Birdseye Maple w/ SD 59 neck & JB bridge
'04 Yamaha FG403S Dread
'14 Recording King ROS-06 12-fret Slothead
'17 Recording King 000 RO-T16 Torrefied top
Old 12-08-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post

You're not likely to find a used US tele within several hundred $$ of a player series. And Ptony is correct about the new Player series, they are fantastic (I own one) but not around long enough to really be showing up in the used market much. Also, the big retailers generally discount 10%, so that puts that Player close to $600. You'll also not need to upgrade anything on the Player series. I've bought too many $400 guitars and then immediately sunk more time and money into upgrades.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

The Baja Tele is considered to be one of the ultimate Teles on a budget and they used to be had used for $500. Might still.

Otherwise, a clean used MIM 50s or 60s tele, or a MIM standard would be the ticket.

It is hard to go wrong with a G&L for quality, but I'm not a fan of the MDF pickups - they are very hot, if I recall, and hard to get a clean, glassy tone from.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 12-08-2019, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecuss View Post
The Baja Tele is considered to be one of the ultimate Teles on a budget and they used to be had used for $500. Might still.

Otherwise, a clean used MIM 50s or 60s tele, or a MIM standard would be the ticket.

It is hard to go wrong with a G&L for quality, but I'm not a fan of the MDF pickups - they are very hot, if I recall, and hard to get a clean, glassy tone from.
Bajas are great. I owned 2. The slight V necks aren’t for everyone. Just something to consider. Otherwise, they’re great guitars also. With custom shop pickups to boot.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS

Last edited by PTony; 12-08-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:46 PM

Some wise advice here and I’ll add my two cents:

Used I would look for

Fender Classic Player Baja Telecaster
Fender Classic 50s Telecaster

New I would look at

Fender Player Telecaster (and swap out the bridge for vintage style)
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
G&L Tribute ASAT Classic (currently $299 on Musician’s Friend and pretty frequently shows up there at that price)

Best guitar for your buck on that list is the Baja, but finding one will be harder than the others now that they’ve been phased out, same with the Classic 50s.

The G&L ASAT Classic has the alnico pickups and more of a traditional Tele sound. I played one a couple years ago and thought it was a great guitar for the money. If I didn’t have a Baja I’d probably snag one.

Honestly, you’ll probably enjoy any of these options and more. Good luck!
Old 12-08-2019, 05:11 PM

The Squier Classic Vibe ‘50s Telecaster either in butterscotch or vintage blonde finish is probably the best value for a new tele if you are looking for traditional specifications like vintage style ashtray bridge, light weight vintage tuners, and includes quality potentiometers, wiring and pickups - the only weak link is the output jack that can spin inside the body cavity which is easily upgraded with a switchcraft cup that is screwed into the body. The neck is nothing at all unusual or pencil thin - rather standard sleek, fast with jumbo frets. The body is pine, all gloss finish. Production has since moved to Indonesia and changes include tall frets, and perhaps downgraded pickups (yet to be seen).

*I always switch to white pickguard on the vintage blonde model - stock black looks nasty and cheap

Last edited by Jaden; 12-08-2019 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:50 PM

Thanks for the great replies so far.

The Baja looks interesting . There’s a local one that’s black with a black guard that’s for sell for $550. If I could negotiate down a little I might check that one out.

I’m pretty versatile as far as necks. For reference, my Strat is a 96 Tex mex Strat that is a precursor to the Jimmie Vaughn signature. It has 50 style appointments as far as hardware and neck radius.

I really love that neck but I’m very adaptable as my Sheraton and my have handmade semi hollow have two completely different neck profiles as well as my acoustics.

The more I look at the Player series specs, it looks a lot like they have a lot of the older American Standard specs.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:05 PM

I bought my Butterscotch MIM 2018 Tele from the classifieds here for $450.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
I bought my Butterscotch MIM 2018 Tele from the classifieds here for $450.
That’s a good deal! Maybe I need to make a wanted ad and see if anybody has anything they’re looking to get rid of.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

This is what you want. Not sure if a CL seller would ship though:

https://denver.craigslist.org/msg/d/...018712258.html
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars