The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-29-2019, 07:19 PM

Default Hi.... My name is Oscar and...

I've got a guitar problem.

Played keyboards/vocals for a long long time and decided to stop schlepping that pile around and play the guitar about 2-1/2 years ago. Been playing my fingers to the bone..... A lot of solo stuff, but also a duo with my lovely bride of 28 years on the bass...... through amps/PA with an RC-300 board with pre-recorded percussion (us playing) keeping the beat.

I had a scratched up guitar in the basement. Gave a guy $25 for gas money for it in college in the early 80's. It was a little tired so, guitar shopping I went.

It all started with a $300 Ibanez..... Then bought this cute little brand new Martin 000-15SM, it's a beautifull sounding thing, still, but it can't be pushed very hard. Then I discovered the hybrid nylon, really liked that, and played a Martin 000C-Nylon for a while. Liked it so much that I had Martin make me one in all mahogany. (Love the sound of mahogany.) Then I re-discovered steel and got a used Martin D-15M to round out the mahogany trio. There's also a cheap Craigslist Martin D-16GT in there that needed the top re-finished and I'm in the process of doing so. And a cheap used Mexican Martin, solid HPL, the "Martinez". On the side there's a slew of miscellaneous that sort of drifted my way including some pure electric.

I travel, a lot. For a living. And I always bring a guitar. First a parlor Richwood, then a Cordoba 3/4 hybrid nylon, and when I went back to steel the Martinez for it's stability. Except it isn't stable It hates to travel. Certainly didn't want to bring my mahoganies on the road like that....

Then it dawned on me. This is 2019, why are we still making guitars out of wood? Yes, there are some guitars that in a quiet room with a $3000 microphone and played by a master will sound like nothing else, without duplication. But I am not a master, and the bars I play in are not quiet, and I am feeding it through a PA so it really doesn't matter THAT much. So CF makes so much more sense.

So the mania went that way and I've started collecting CF. I really dig my current main squeeze, the Rainsong H-WS1000N2 Then there's a LAVA ME 2 on a boat from China coming my way for travel.

But, in my defense, and for use during "oral arguments in kitchen court with the DA, my lovely bride" I do sell things too. If it really doesn't get played and just takes up space it goes away. I have preferred seller status on REVERB. Do I make money? HELL NO. But it does ease the pain quite a bit. Think of it as renting guitars to try them. Of course the three mahogany Martins aren't going anywhere, but the OOOC-Nylon and the Martinez sold today, so there's some money back in the pot.

And then, right there on the screen on FB it flashed in my face..... they have Black Friday sales in Donegal! Well isn't that just dandy! Oh my, an X30 with Royal Ebony top! ON SALE!

I know some of you were looking at it today. Well, it's coming my way. Gonna have to sell some more of the ones collecting dust.

So there, I am one of you now.

Will report on it when it comes in.....
000-Nylon, All Mahogany custom, 000-15SM, D16-GT (resto mod in progress), D15-M, Stinger SSL electric....
And a Kobza, Bouzouki, Hurdy Gurdy and something medieval looking.....
www.woodenshoe.blog
Old 11-29-2019, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Oh, yeah - you'll fit right in here. Welcome aboard, Oscar!
Old 11-29-2019, 11:27 PM
Charter Member

Welcome Oscar ! I love that royal ebony,,,we;re waiting on pictures,
Old 11-30-2019, 02:19 AM

Post them as soon as I get it and the forum lets me.
000-Nylon, All Mahogany custom, 000-15SM, D16-GT (resto mod in progress), D15-M, Stinger SSL electric....
www.woodenshoe.blog
Old 11-30-2019, 02:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
Post them as soon as I get it and the forum lets me.
Hi Oscar,

The forum isn't stopping you... anyone may post pictures. Right now, you are a registered user, so you have two ways to post pics... a third-party host like Imgur and the Tapatalk app. Joining the ranks of charter members and you will also be able to post them directly from your computer.

Take a look at this thread and PM me if you have any trouble.
Old 11-30-2019, 03:33 AM

Got it and done.....! Lookie there, it even kicked in right away!
www.woodenshoe.blog
Old 11-30-2019, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

Oscar: You sound like my brother from another mother, and I spent my first eighteen years in Eastern PA, Upper Darby to be exact. As for guitar buying and selling, when someone asks I just tell them that although I lose money on every sale, I make up for it in volume. 50% of the time it makes sense to the listener, and the other other 50% they are too confused to question my "logic"....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-30-2019, 07:30 AM

Good story Oscar, glad you shared your journey.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-30-2019, 10:11 AM
Guest 928

Oscar;

Nice report. Like you, I ran through a bazillion wooden guitars, had just about settled on a Takamine hybrid nylon and then discovered CF and the search began, again.

I like your idea of rent. I've made an art form of buying high and selling low, counting the cost as cheap rental. Thus far I've been through 2 cargos, an Ox, three Blackbirds, a Rainsong and four Emeralds.

I look forward to hearing/seeing your new 30. I'll also be reporting on my new Emerald thin-bodied, electric, nylon string Emerald 10. This is fun stuff and we're blessed with a bountiful body of options.
Old 11-30-2019, 10:12 AM
Guest 928

Oscar;

Nice report. Like you, I ran through a bazillion wooden guitars, had just about settled on a Takamine hybrid nylon and then discovered CF and the search began, again.

I like your idea of rent. I've made an art form of buying high and selling low, counting the cost as cheap rental. Thus far I've been through 2 cargos, an Ox, three Blackbirds, a Rainsong and four Emeralds.

I look forward to hearing/seeing your new 30. I'll also be reporting on my new Emerald thin-bodied, electric, nylon string Emerald 10 (whenever Alistair gets it finished). This is fun stuff and we're blessed with a bountiful body of options.
Old 11-30-2019, 10:20 AM

Thanks for the replies. It's nice to now there are others suffering like I am.....

And that X-10 is definitely on my list. So is the X-7 for travel and the bass for my sweetie. We may just have to have a little excursion to the Emerald Isle.....
www.woodenshoe.blog
Old 11-30-2019, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
Thanks for the replies. It's nice to now there are others suffering like I am.....
I'd say you got a killer deal on that X30! I was trying to figure out how to approach the CFO about the Amicus, but some kind soul bought it before I'd perfected my talk track.

Maybe next year
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 11-30-2019, 11:31 AM

I knew that X30 wouldn't last long. Glad to see it's going to a good home. Don't be surprised if it exceeds your expectations.

Did ya go for the gig bag or hard case?
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 11-30-2019, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Alistair has made 2 custom X-10 nylon string guitars to the specs that I gave him.

I’m going to sell the newer one, the 2018 model with cocobolo veneer.

For all that I love about both Emeralds, I have found Cordoba GK Pro much more ergonomic and expressive for me. Crazy.

My wife plays predominantly steel string. She didn’t care for either the X5 or the X7 that I bought her, preferring her 2002 Taylor CE something-or-another (312?).

Then one day about 5 months ago she picked up my GK Pro.........

..........and it suddenly became HER GK Pro.

So I Bought another GK Pro for me.......

Fortunately, both GK Pros were either used or B stock, purchased at about 60% of the price of a new GK Pro.

The “keeper” Emerald that I most enjoy is the Amicus that I bought second hand.

I may yet still commission another Nylon String Emerald. We’ll see. Not too soon.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:45 PM

Jwellsey, I went for the hard bag only. Got enough soft lags laying around here.. lol.

That GK looks like a nice guitar. My custom nylon all mahogany 000C Martin takes care of my nylon fix....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4522.jpg (19.5 KB, 146 views)
www.woodenshoe.blog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber