The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-11-2020, 08:04 AM

Default New (To Me) 2015 Kostal Jumbo Spruce / Coco

Before I wrote this review I watched a very interesting video on Curiosity Stream about Stradivari violins. The parts that intrigued me were when virtuoso performers tried to describe what it was about their Strad that they loved. Or when the tried to compare it to recent very competent copies (some using CT Scans and CNC machines). In all cases the performers struggled to put into words the characteristics of the instruments that they enjoyed.

And so I struggle also. This rather large and heavy Kostal Jumbo has been around awhile. I believe one or more previous owners are AGF members. I became interested in it when I stumbled on a video of Clive Carroll playing Neil Gow's famous lament in DADGAD on a Kostal OM. The bass was unlike any I had heard before. This impression was confirmed the second after I struck the first note on it. Crisp, rich, resonant, articulate are the words that come to mind but they don't truly define what I am hearing. It is so alive and present it completely changed the way I want to play. Where bass was just support for a melody, I now want to feature it. This video really does an accurate job of reproducing what I am hearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSlH7FTUOmo

The trebles are loud, resonant and harmonic rich. So rich that in some cases I find myself adjusting right hand positions to make them brighter. Not complaining here, just pointing out that there is nothing else you could ask from a finger style instrument in this category.

Workmanship of this caliber seems to be a new normal for the current crop of young luthiers. The finish, binding, purfling and the draw dropping rosette are the equal of any I have had the pleasure to own or examine.

I feel honored to own this guitar. It truly raises the art to a new level. I bought a build slot for a Mod D from this craftsman after a few weeks of playing a gorgeous example of his work.

Cincy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unknown-4.jpg (25.8 KB, 306 views)
File Type: jpg Unknown-5.jpg (30.8 KB, 303 views)
File Type: jpg Unknown-3.jpg (39.8 KB, 306 views)
File Type: jpg Unknown-1.jpg (25.8 KB, 306 views)
File Type: jpg Unknown-2.jpg (26.1 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg Unknown.jpg (20.8 KB, 301 views)
Old 04-11-2020, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Smile Now that is some BOSS axe!!!

Lucky you! Woohoo.

The Celtic Lament is BEAUTIFUL, and so is your new Kostal

Have fun

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 04-11-2020, 09:50 AM

I remember trying my first Kostal. A moment you never forget!
Old 04-11-2020, 11:08 AM
AGF Sponsor

Congratulations on a beautiful new guitar!.
Old 04-11-2020, 11:10 AM

Congratulations on the new to you Kostal. Beyond the guitar, Jason himself is one of the best guys I know. Enjoy!
Old 04-11-2020, 01:05 PM

Welcome to the club!
Old 04-11-2020, 02:18 PM

Love the bit of sapwood in the back. What a gorgeous guitar. And, man-oh-man, that sound sample shows it off perfectly.

Many congrats!
Old 04-11-2020, 10:49 PM

If you like profound bass, keep an eye out for a 1999 - 2001 Somogyi. They do not respond nor sound like later or earlier period somogyi guitars.

The 2001 mod d that I once owned had bass of such depth and sonority that no other guitar that I have ever played has ever equalled or exceeded it except for a kim walker jumbo that was an outlier even for a kim walker guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy2 View Post
Before I wrote this review I watched a very interesting video on Curiosity Stream about Stradivari violins. The parts that intrigued me were when virtuoso performers tried to describe what it was about their Strad that they loved. Or when the tried to compare it to recent very competent copies (some using CT Scans and CNC machines). In all cases the performers struggled to put into words the characteristics of the instruments that they enjoyed.

And so I struggle also. This rather large and heavy Kostal Jumbo has been around awhile. I believe one or more previous owners are AGF members. I became interested in it when I stumbled on a video of Clive Carroll playing Neil Gow's famous lament in DADGAD on a Kostal OM. The bass was unlike any I had heard before. This impression was confirmed the second after I struck the first note on it. Crisp, rich, resonant, articulate are the words that come to mind but they don't truly define what I am hearing. It is so alive and present it completely changed the way I want to play. Where bass was just support for a melody, I now want to feature it. This video really does an accurate job of reproducing what I am hearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSlH7FTUOmo

The trebles are loud, resonant and harmonic rich. So rich that in some cases I find myself adjusting right hand positions to make them brighter. Not complaining here, just pointing out that there is nothing else you could ask from a finger style instrument in this category.

Workmanship of this caliber seems to be a new normal for the current crop of young luthiers. The finish, binding, purfling and the draw dropping rosette are the equal of any I have had the pleasure to own or examine.

I feel honored to own this guitar. It truly raises the art to a new level. I bought a build slot for a Mod D from this craftsman after a few weeks of playing a gorgeous example of his work.

Cincy
Old 04-12-2020, 12:32 AM
Charter Member

You my friend have excellent taste, so happy for you! Anyone owning a guitar like that is truly blessed. Your review is excellent as it describes the sounds to a tee (resonant, harmonic, rich). Also interesting description of having to adjust your right hand to make the sound brighter. The notes are so full and round, complete opposite of tinny, music to the ears! Your guitar is definitely in the big leagues, enjoy!
Old 04-12-2020, 01:28 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations on a one-of-a-kind guitar! I’ve had the pleasure of playing a couple of Jason’s guitars, however all too briefly. HUGE sound, and so responsive, I got the impression that they were on the verge of exploding. A Kostal Jumbo must be quite a beast, indeed!
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 04-12-2020, 05:07 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on the Kostal. Having played many of them and owning four, I understand what draws you to this particular instrument!

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 04-12-2020, 06:45 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Very nice indeed. I do know how you feel about trying to describe the Kostal tone. But I know as well, sitting with one is a surreal experience.

Congrats! That is an incredible instrument.

I love this guy!

Last edited by cigarfan; 04-12-2020 at 06:58 AM. Reason: photo
Old 04-12-2020, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Cincy, as a new guitar player, but musician for 55 years, this is the kind of post that never fails to please. I cannot play well, but I know what I like, even if I cannot make those sounds. And as a collector of art, and artist, I know what my eyes like as well even if I cannot reproduce it in the flesh. And as a student of history, I appreciate a good story about an instrument that is cultivating a reputation, as some do. You are most fortunate to have such an instrument, certainly as its current owner, but, perhaps, more as a steward.
Enjoy your time with it.
David
Old 04-13-2020, 08:37 AM

Congratulations! That's a beautiful instrument!
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

I bet you get a tremor on the Richter scale when you hit the E major chord on that beauty!

Congrats!
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop