The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-15-2019, 08:50 PM
Runaway Tomato

I've been a Gibson guy most of my guitar playing life, but now -- well. look in my sig. The 110 is a lammy and on the low end of the Taylor line, but in the overall balance of sound/playability/practicality and build quality, it is a step better than any of my previous Gibsons. This March I may get an 814ce (although I'm leaning towards a Martin D41 that broke my heart).

(My Gibsons were a J-200, J-50, B-25 and most recently the Hummingbird Pro)
Former AGF Moderator
Old 12-15-2019, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
I've been a Gibson guy most of my guitar playing life, but now -- well. look in my sig. The 110 is a lammy and on the low end of the Taylor line, but in the overall balance of sound/playability/practicality and build quality, it is a step better than any of my previous Gibsons. This March I may get an 814ce (although I'm leaning towards a Martin D41 that broke my heart).

(My Gibsons were a J-200, J-50, B-25 and most recently the Hummingbird Pro)
I don't mean to quarrel with another man's opinion as they are what they are, but the 110 guitars by me are by no stretch of the imagination a step better than my J-45, but I do understand how once in a while something pops up and plays and sounds better than its supposed to.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-15-2019, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
They look nice, that's for sure, but I'd never pay that for a laminate. I understand that not all laminates are created equal but $1,600 is all solid wood country too.
To be fair, Taylor never refers to their guitars as laminate. They call them layered. Laminate may or may not even contain any wood. Layered back and side guitars by Taylor have a three ply wood combination with poplar in the middle and the two outer layers are koa in the case of my 224ce-k. And I would put my layered Taylor 224ce-k up against many solid wood guitars that cost a lot more. I'm in the opinion that just because a guitar is not solid wood is looked at as not as superior as a solid wood guitar is a flawed argument. But i understand it's all a matter of opinion but that's mine. If it sounds good it sounds good in my opinion. I certainly have no shame in saying I spent $1100 on a used layered guitar.
2019 Yamaha FGx5
2020 Yamaha AC3M Deluxe
2019 Yamaha FG800
2005 Taylor 214
Ibanez AEB10E Acoustic Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion