The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-15-2019, 03:48 PM

Default Help me decide between these two Froggy Bottoms

I recently decided to thin the herd and sell a couple of my guitars and get a FB. Can't afford new but found two used ones. The first is a D14 deluxe cutaway and the second is a SJ deluxe. Prices of both are fairly close to each other.

Need some Froggy Bottom owners to tell me the pluses and minuses of each. I played a K version a couple of weeks ago and was mesmerized but the price tag was beyond my means.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:18 PM

Unfortunately I can’t comment on either model specifically, but I doubt you could go wrong with either. Since you liked the K and it is based on a Gibson, I would expect that the SJ might be similar. But honestly if you really liked the K, it might be worth waiting on one to become available. Although every Froggy I have played has been amazing, some are better suited to a particular player/playing style.
2018 Santa Cruz OM - Euro/“Tree”
2021 Bagnasco & Casati OM-28
Old 12-15-2019, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

I’m a Froggy lover. I have owned 3 models (K, H-12 and C) and played most of the other models. The D and the SJ are my least favorite models. They are still great guitars, but I don’t think these models represent the best Michael has to offer. I think Froggy Bottom guitars can sound “magical”. However the D and SJ versions I’ve played have lacked a little of the special sparkle I look for in the Froggy tone. This is entirely subjective, but unless you’ve played a model, I’d suggest you might benefit by playing first.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:28 PM
Musical minimalist

If either of them are anything but EIR, I'd go for that one myself

Just always preferred the drier woods! I've owned a couple of Froggy's that I wished had been Mahogany or Koa.

Old 12-15-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
I’m a Froggy lover. I have owned 3 models (K, H-12 and C) and played most of the other models. The D and the SJ are my least favorite models. They are still great guitars, but I don’t think these models represent the best Michael has to offer. I think Froggy Bottom guitars can sound “magical”. However the D and SJ versions I’ve played have lacked a little of the special sparkle I look for in the Froggy tone. This is entirely subjective, but unless you’ve played a model, I’d suggest you might benefit by playing first.
I have a P and an H. They are sublime. I would like an M.

I believe the "flagship" model is an H. If I could only have one Frog, I would probably go with an H.

I think your question boils down to exactly what size you are looking for. If you really know you want a larger Frog, then it boils down to wood combos and price.

I agree with Haasome's comment about the sparkle. Certain Frog's just have it. If you can find one with "it", you'll be set...
Old 12-15-2019, 07:45 PM

Without recommending any guitar to anyone, I would suggest deciding whether you want a dread or an SJ. Completely different guitars and I have/love both. If you're a dread-guy then it's the dread. If you prefer the SJ body-style and play, then that's the guitar for you.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:06 PM

Posing a choice of two is probably not the best way to go Froggy shopping. Perhaps fine if you want A Froggy, but not if you want a Froggy that best suits you. You didn't mention what woods they're made of.

I don't have a lot of experience with Froggies, but I played four before selecting an Adi/EIR H-12. The others didn't inspire me to pay the price. But the H-12 was a big cut above any 12 fret, potbellied 000 I'd played.

One example was a Froggy spruce/mahogany dread. Nice enough, but I'd played examples of Santa Cruz, Martin and Bourgeois that were more engaging. And less expensive.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

I believe FB has a preference for red spruce/Adi for their tops because of the clarity and complexity of the overtones. Playing my H-12 is a very immersive experience and there is probably a reason the H series is their best seller as it covers the OM/OOO market.

The F-12 intrigues me, it has the body size of a Taylor GA. An F-12 with a Florentine cutaway is just a lovely lady.

Looking at the OP’s sig, I think if I wanted to add an FB, I would look for an H-12.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 12-16-2019, 01:02 AM
Charter Member

I have 3, H-12, M and SJ. The SJ is played least often by some distance.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 12-16-2019, 04:11 AM

I have two, a D12 and a K Ltd. Can't put the D12 down so the K Ltd is looking for a new home.

I would have been happy to keep the K Ltd but finding the D12 was the death knell for the K. It is the most amazing all rounder I have ever played. Finger picking, strumming, open tuning...it excels at everything you throw at it.
Old 12-16-2019, 06:18 AM

The tonal differences between the two are going to be very subtle. They’ll both sound great.

So find the discriminating factor and buy based off that. The cutaway on a dread would be enough for me go to the SJ, for example. The D has an extra 1/4” of scale length. Does that matter to you? Does one have a set of wood that is more appealing to you?
Old 12-16-2019, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrksman View Post
I have 3, H-12, M and SJ. The SJ is played least often by some distance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKA View Post
I have two, a D12 and a K Ltd. Can't put the D12 down so the K Ltd is looking for a new home.

I would have been happy to keep the K Ltd but finding the D12 was the death knell for the K. It is the most amazing all rounder I have ever played. Finger picking, strumming, open tuning...it excels at everything you throw at it.
Let me know if you want me to take it off your hands.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:38 AM

Here is also a deal that just popped up, don't know if it's still in your price range: https://reverb.com/item/30601789-fro...d-cutaway-2004
Old 12-16-2019, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Sent you a PM
Old 12-16-2019, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I recently decided to thin the herd and sell a couple of my guitars and get a FB. Can't afford new but found two used ones. The first is a D14 deluxe cutaway and the second is a SJ deluxe. Prices of both are fairly close to each other.

Need some Froggy Bottom owners to tell me the pluses and minuses of each. I played a K version a couple of weeks ago and was mesmerized but the price tag was beyond my means.
Paul, I'd advise patience here and at least try to find a D or SJ to play somewhere before buying blind. I haven't played more than 4 Frogs my entire life, but two of the 4 I did play were a D and an SJ at a forum member's house, and while they were nice guitars, they didn't leave enough of a memorable impression. Certainly not in comparison to the Goodalls I ended up buying (those are gone now too). I remember thinking the Frogs were "glorified Martins" with high price tags and shallower necks than I prefer.

I'm a flatpicker however, and look at everything through a Martin tonal lens, full disclosure.

Happy hunting.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion