The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-14-2019, 02:36 PM

Default Schaller Grand Tune machine problem

I have a 2018 Martin 00-28 with Schaller Grand Tune Tuners. The A string is intermittently very tight, almost seized. Is this something I can repair or will it need to be replaced. Should I contact Martin or Schaller for a replacement?
Old 12-14-2019, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

I just commented in an old thread about this yesterday. The brand new Schaller GrandTunes that came on my 2019 HD28 rattled the first day so I contacted my dealer who got me a new set. I installed them and now 6 months later a few are rattling again and the G string tuner is almost impossible to turn like you mentioned. I'm going to call Martin Monday because another user said they may send you a replacement set if you ask. I'm also considering replacing with another brand of tuner to get these Schallers completely out of my life.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:33 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Sorry to hear about these Schaller GrandTune problems. The ones that came on my 2018 D-41 are flawless. Best tuners I’ve ever owned...and they happen to be on the best guitar I’ve ever owned.

OP: I’d contact the dealer first.

Old 12-14-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I'm also considering replacing with another brand of tuner to get these Schallers completely out of my life.
I read that their are no direct replacements without modifications so I'm going to stick with them. I think I have a set on a Santa Cruz as well. They look fine and are smoother than Waverlys when their not seized up.
Old 12-15-2019, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I just commented in an old thread about this yesterday. The brand new Schaller GrandTunes that came on my 2019 HD28 rattled the first day so I contacted my dealer who got me a new set. I installed them and now 6 months later a few are rattling again and the G string tuner is almost impossible to turn like you mentioned. I'm going to call Martin Monday because another user said they may send you a replacement set if you ask. I'm also considering replacing with another brand of tuner to get these Schallers completely out of my life.
I got a defective Schaller on my 2019 HD-28 - I didn't really notice it until I changed strings the first time - as I was unwinding, I felt the resistance completely go slack - when I turned the headstock over, I was horrified to see that the gears were not engaging as I was turning the knob. When I tightened it, the gears partially engaged. I took it to my tech, who immediately declared it defective. He got on the phone with Martin who sent me a replacement that arrived 3 days later. All is well now. However, although I like the open gear look, I think I prefer the feel of the Ping style closed back tuners that were stock on the Taylors I used to have and my current D-10E.
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 12-15-2019, 02:46 PM

Looks like a number of people have had this problem. There a a couple of reviews on the GC site naming this problem. Are they making them overseas now? Or maybe just the parts?
Old 12-15-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
...Schaller Grand Tune Tuners. The A string is intermittently very tight, almost seized...
Quote:
...brand new Schaller GrandTunes ..... rattled the first day so I contacted my dealer who got me a new set. I installed them and now 6 months later a few are rattling again and the G string tuner is almost impossible to turn like you mentioned.
What's so grand about these tuning keys if this is what they do?
Old 12-16-2019, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
What's so grand about these tuning keys if this is what they do?
Good question - I recently sold one of the new D-16E rosewood guitars that had open back Grovers, and I thought they were clearly better in terms of smoothness and consistency of tension.
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 11-17-2020, 06:00 AM

Had the same issue with my 2019 Martin OM28. The tuner of the G-string was almost impossible to turn under tension. Also it felt loose and squeaked. Reached out to Schaller, and they immediately sent me a replacement. The new tuner feels sturdy and smooth as it should be. Very impressive customer service!
Old 11-17-2020, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spekvriend View Post
Had the same issue with my 2019 Martin OM28. The tuner of the G-string was almost impossible to turn under tension. Also it felt loose and squeaked. Reached out to Schaller, and they immediately sent me a replacement. The new tuner feels sturdy and smooth as it should be. Very impressive customer service!
I commented earlier in this thread. I'm on my 3rd set now on my HD28. The most recent ones from Schaller had shorter posts than the original ones did. Did you notice that?
Old 11-17-2020, 06:51 AM

I put a set on my Eastman e20-om. Had one go bad, schaller sent me a replacement. Now another 2 are starting to go bad. I'm sure schaller would send me two more replacements, but going to bite the bullet and replace them with something else. I'm tired of messing with them.
Old 11-17-2020, 07:16 AM

This makes me nervous. I have a set on my most expensive guitar - no problems with them; they've been fine so far. There obviously have been quality control issues.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 11-17-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
This makes me nervous. I have a set on my most expensive guitar - no problems with them; they've been fine so far. There obviously have been quality control issues.
Maybe yours are just fine? Not all of them are faulty.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
I have a 2018 Martin 00-28 with Schaller Grand Tune Tuners. The A string is intermittently very tight, almost seized. Is this something I can repair or will it need to be replaced. Should I contact Martin or Schaller for a replacement?
I have these on my Taylor 322 and they work fine for me. It's a long shot but since these don't have metal bushings in the headstock, maybe you might check to see if the tuner post moves freely inside it's headstock hole.

These came stock on your Martin? If so, they're on the hook for a warranty repair aren't they?
Old 11-17-2020, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmist View Post
I have these on my Taylor 322 and they work fine for me. It's a long shot but since these don't have metal bushings in the headstock, maybe you might check to see if the tuner post moves freely inside it's headstock hole.

These came stock on your Martin? If so, they're on the hook for a warranty repair aren't they?
I found that with Martin they want you to bring it to an authorized service center in order to get them replaced. With Schaller, they just send you new ones. I decided to go through Schaller directly.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair