The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-19-2019, 07:43 PM

My Emeralds feel... Solid, like a nice Guild

My Rainsongs feel... Lively, like a Martin or Larrivee

I'm sure this is of no help at all.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 11-19-2019, 07:47 PM

Interesting topic. I only have experience with my two carbon fiber guitars, a Rainsong and a Composite Acoustic. I find the CA to feel somewhat cold and distant, probably because of the wide flat neck. I think the Rainsong neck feels more like my wooden guitars and friendlier...
Old 11-19-2019, 07:54 PM

I tried, and wanted to, but never bonded with mine and sold it. I’m sure I’ll try again at some point, but even living in dry Colorado didn’t change things.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

I have bonded with my X20 (for real, not in the Kramster way). I also have a first gen X7, which I like, but so far, only a loose bond.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Thanks to all for your responses. Lots of fine (and fun) folks on this forum.

And Kramster, yes, this counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
I almost bonded permanently with my CA OX when I was installing a K&K mini pickup.. darn super glue... does this count?
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 11-20-2019, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeway View Post
I have bonded with my X20. I also have a first gen X7, which I like, but so far, only a loose bond.
This may be more a function of your preference for larger bodied guitars which I share...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-20-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post

And Kramster, yes, this counts.
Cool...so I got this going for me...nice
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-20-2019, 12:14 PM

I have bonded with my 2017 X20, it is the best acoustic guitar I've ever owned.
I have not bonded with my 2016 X7, yet.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 11-20-2019, 12:52 PM

Good question....To soon to tell with my McPherson Touring but well on our way. I did bond for years with my Martin OM but got tired of pulling out of the closet/case to play. My current theory is that the "bonding" of wood guitars is directly linked to wood guitars "opening up" and evolving along side of our ears over time. Something that CF can not do. It's strengths of durability are a weakness with the fickle human ears.

With all said.. still enjoying my Touring and have my lovely Amicus to extend that enjoyment for some variety. Only time will tell.....
Old 11-21-2019, 02:03 PM

I certainly bonded with the X30. To me it doesn't matter what the guitar is made out of it's more of how I like it. I also bonded with my Gibson Songwriter and despite a few attempts to part with it I'm sure glad I didn't.
Old 11-21-2019, 03:25 PM

I've not bonded with my Rainsong concert series dread. It's a perfectly good guitar and plays well. Even sounds pretty good.

I never play it at home, and even when I'm taking a guitar away from the house, I try to rationalize why I should bring one of my beloved wooden guitars instead. I have to explain to myself "you're going to be near a smokey fire with drunk people around! This is why you have a CF guitar in the first place!"

It serves its purpose, but does not speak to me like my wooden guitars do.
Old 11-21-2019, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
I've not bonded with my Rainsong concert series dread. It's a perfectly good guitar and plays well. Even sounds pretty good.

I never play it at home, and even when I'm taking a guitar away from the house, I try to rationalize why I should bring one of my beloved wooden guitars instead. I have to explain to myself "you're going to be near a smokey fire with drunk people around! This is why you have a CF guitar in the first place!"

It serves its purpose, but does not speak to me like my wooden guitars do.
Are you sure you're doing your part to make it feel welcome???
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-21-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Are you sure you're doing your part to make it feel welcome???
That's a fair question. I feel like, yes, I've given it a fair shot to make me fall in love with her. Obviously when I got it, I played it exclusively for many weeks. Set it up just so, tried a couple different types of strings, etc... Took me a while to admit that despite having paid quite a bit for a guitar I wanted to love - I just didn't love it.

I hope nobody reading this thinks I'm bashing CF guitars! Mine plays well, sounds good, has excellent tuning stability, and does a great job of fulfilling a necessary role in my guitar life... But it just doesn't have that special something my beloved wood guitars have.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
That's a fair question. I feel like, yes, I've given it a fair shot to make me fall in love with her. Obviously when I got it, I played it exclusively for many weeks. Set it up just so, tried a couple different types of strings, etc... Took me a while to admit that despite having paid quite a bit for a guitar I wanted to love - I just didn't love it.

I hope nobody reading this thinks I'm bashing CF guitars! Mine plays well, sounds good, has excellent tuning stability, and does a great job of fulfilling a necessary role in my guitar life... But it just doesn't have that special something my beloved wood guitars have.
Thanks for a thoughtful answer, and I'm glad that you weren't put off by my question. I, for one, didn't think you were bashing CF guitars; they're not for everyone, and perhaps they're not for you...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-22-2019, 05:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Thanks for a thoughtful answer, and I'm glad that you weren't put off by my question. I, for one, didn't think you were bashing CF guitars; they're not for everyone, and perhaps they're not for you...
But they’re all different too, kind of like wood guitars. I’ve had wood guitars I never bonded with and wood guitars I’ve loved and had for years. I’ve never played a Rainsong, not because I think they’re anything but excellent guitars, but every clip I’ve heard of them they tend to sound brighter than I like. Sort of like the Taylor of carbon fiber - I’ve played Taylor’s (and owned one) and they’re not my cup of tea either, but they’re obviously great guitars. So much of it is just personal preference. This player might not have bonded with a Rainsong dread but might love one of the Emerald or CA or MacPherson options...

-Ray

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber