The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-15-2022, 01:50 PM

Default Battery (rechargeable) AC power supply

Sorry if there is already a thread on this. Anyway, the campground I play at has electricity issues that are such that I am seeking a workaround. I have a quiet generator I could use, but feel a battery powered AC supply might work since I only need it to power a powered speaker, and a mixer for about 90 minutes. So, what are some good options out there??? Trying to stay under $250.

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 08-15-2022 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-15-2022, 03:22 PM

Yes, I wish I could find the thread to give you a link. There are many options for powering your gear with a battery and inverter. Even ones that use the battery from cordless power tools to deliver AC 115 Volt power.

2 Commercial links

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-3960...15467836&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/RYi300BG-300-...89477884&psc=1

And a link to a thread for you

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=649631

Caveat: Make sure any power supply is a "clean" sine wave. Some amps are picky about the shape of the power curve and some inverters/generators are not as clean as others.

Last edited by Lost Sheep; 08-15-2022 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-15-2022, 04:54 PM

My DXR10 is said to use 90w and my MG10XU 22.5w. If I run another powered speaker (Turbosound ip300) and Kuatom 12" sub, I believe my needs to be about 400w peak or less. So far I'm looking at either a Ryobi AC outlet) x2 since I have many tools and batteries already, or the Jackery 400.
Old 08-15-2022, 07:40 PM

A few years ago I built a rough frame to house a 70 amp-hour deep cycle flooded lead acid battery, a 200 watt Kotek pure since wave inverter, An AC power strip, USB and 12 VDC outlets.

It will power my Carvin AG300 at a normal performance volume for about 7 hours. My very first posts here on the AGF are all about it.
Old 08-16-2022, 05:55 AM

If you buy a cheap AC power meter you will find that the actual power consumption of your gear is quite low even at high volumes. The problem will be the turn-on power transient. Whatever you choose make sure it is returnable so that you can test it out at home.

For example, my QSC CP8 draws 12.5 watts at deafening volume, and despite its 800+200 watt peak power spec, QSC rates it at only 75 watts consumption from an AC power outlet. A 150 watt-hour modified sine wave battery power supply works fine for me and still has 5 of 5 power bars remaining after a three set gig.

Part of this discrepancy is sensible 10x (10 dB) peak to average power ratio for music. And part of it is irrational power specs to sell product in an irrationally spec'd market.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 08-16-2022 at 08:21 AM.
Old 08-16-2022, 06:21 AM

I'm guessing your mixer actually runs on low-voltage DC and you need AC for its powerbrick? The same undoubtedly applies to your speaker even if its PSU is built-in.

With that in mind it would be a lot more logical to avoid the power loss that comes from using an inverter to power a set of transformers...

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 08-16-2022, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
If you buy a cheap AC power meter you will find that the actual power consumption of your gear is quite low even at high volumes.
Very useful numbers.

Did you manage to put a value on the "power on" requirement?
Old 08-16-2022, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
Very useful numbers.

Did you manage to put a value on the "power on" requirement?
That would require more than a $20 power meter. I have been told that the same power supply I use with a CP8 won't power up a QSC K.2 series speaker.

Jon Fields
Old 08-17-2022, 01:57 PM

I just got a Jackery 290 and have the Ryobi AC outlet coming today. Stay tuned for experiment results. I'll be powering my acoustic pedalboard (6 pedals off a One Spot 6), a Yamaha MG10XU, DXR10 and maybe a Harbinger 12" powered sub and Turbosound ip300 if there's enough juice.
Old 08-17-2022, 02:59 PM

Ive actually used this...
https://www.amazon.com/CAT-Professio...s%2C374&sr=8-3
Old 08-17-2022, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I just got a Jackery 290 and have the Ryobi AC outlet coming today. Stay tuned for experiment results. I'll be powering my acoustic pedalboard (6 pedals off a One Spot 6), a Yamaha MG10XU, DXR10 and maybe a Harbinger 12" powered sub and Turbosound ip300 if there's enough juice.
The next notch up in battery power...Nothing like not having limitations with your gear,,
Keep us posted to how much it will power and for how long...
Old 08-18-2022, 06:26 AM

I looked it up, 400 watts of surge power. It should easily do the job.

But, if you run into trouble, power up your various devices one at a time.

Jon Fields
Old 08-18-2022, 11:12 AM

Here's the scoop:
The Jackery
- has a handy display that shows consumption (in watts)
- easily handled: mixer (20 watts), + IP300 speaker (22 - 32 watts), + pedalboard with 5 powered pedals and a 6 way 1 spot (15 - 20 watts), + a Harbinger 12" powered sub (20+ watts), + and a DXR10 powered speaker (20+ watts)
I was running a guitar through the system--heavy on the bass like I prefer--and a vocal. No hiccups at all! After 75 minutes, I was at about 50% battery power remaining.

The Ryobi
- has very poor startup capability
-would not power up LR Baggs Synapse
- would run MG10XU mixer + IP300 speaker (experienced dropouts when pushing it)

The Jackery 290 is a bad little dude. I don't regret buying it. O can't believe if powered all the stuff (simultaneously) it did. It powered up the LR Baggs Synapse but had dropouts with it pushing it hard. The Synapse has a 400 watt (power consumption) sticker on the back.

Idling, all the speakers mixer and pedals drew 100 watts. Pushing it, peaks were in the 230 watt range.
Old 08-18-2022, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Here's the scoop:
The Jackery
- has a handy display that shows consumption (in watts)
- easily handled: mixer (20 watts), + IP300 speaker (22 - 32 watts), + pedalboard with 5 powered pedals and a 6 way 1 spot (15 - 20 watts), + a Harbinger 12" powered sub (20+ watts), + and a DXR10 powered speaker (20+ watts)
I was running a guitar through the system--heavy on the bass like I prefer--and a vocal. No hiccups at all! After 75 minutes, I was at about 50% battery power remaining.

The Ryobi
- has very poor startup capability
-would not power up LR Baggs Synapse
- would run MG10XU mixer + IP300 speaker (experienced dropouts when pushing it)

The Jackery 290 is a bad little dude. I don't regret buying it. O can't believe if powered all the stuff (simultaneously) it did. It powered up the LR Baggs Synapse but had dropouts with it pushing it hard. The Synapse has a 400 watt (power consumption) sticker on the back.

Idling, all the speakers mixer and pedals drew 100 watts. Pushing it, peaks were in the 230 watt range.
As much as I want to go A/C-less which this does...and makes a lot more sense than, Battery amps/speakers, I just like the idea of using your favorite Speakers and other stuff than to be locked into a few battery powered amps/speakers

I feel my next setup next year with include something like this Jackery, so that I can use a Fishman Artist or 330X or EV 30m or ?

Isn't it a weird feeling to be playing through Speakers not plugged into the wall??
When I used that CAT jump box it worked great..but it's my companies and I can't use it all the time.. It was weird to see all that stuff running off a power Station... lol
Old 08-18-2022, 12:49 PM

If size/weight/space/price weren't as much of an issue, I'd go for a pure sine wave power inverter and a deep cycle marine battery. That would be the platinum standard. For now the bronze standard with the Jackery will meet my needs. And yeah, it's weird not having anything plugged into an AC outlet.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification