The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-15-2022, 06:48 AM

Default Wireless.... And gig problems

After some trial and error at the Birthday party I played last Saturday,
Things I should have done... Since I haven't played out in years.

1. Plugged in my EAE M2-6 MK2 at home to make sure everything works!
Example: With all the plug in's and options on channel one in the heat of the battle I plugged guitar and mic into channel one.... No volume on my guitar...
ended up plugging the guitar into the Kustom PA50 from that point everything worked great..

2. Do as others do..lol put the amp behind you.. I didn't, I put it to the side and couldn't hear well.. but luckily I brought my Mugig acoustic amp(voice-guitar 25watts AC-Battery) and it worked great as a monitor

3. bring enough power cords... didn't precheck the power at the gig... The only close power was on the other side of walking paths-doorways...Not good I ended up plugging into the front of the house-patio, needed a 50 ft cord not the 30 I brought...had to run home

4. Practicing in the house is fine but you need to plug in and play outside once in a while...It sounds different....

5. Had reflections on my Samsung A7 screen I need some kind of anti-glare screen or/and a visor

Sunday when I got home and after thinking about it...I set everything up that I'm going to use from now on... basically just the EAE Amp (battery-50watts)
Set it behind me...on a speaker stand
Plugged the mic into channel one and the guitar into channel 2 and everything worked great...
I will say the amp is a little under powered at 50 watts...I'm running the volume at 75% if its a noisy room it will get lost...
So if the gigging works out a bigger system is in my future,,, either the Fishman 330X or EV 30m but probably something with a battery powered option

Okay now the wireless question...
I've got the wireless for the guitar worked out but I need recommendations for the vocal... Not sure if I want a Wireless Mic or just a receiver and transmitter for my mic
But what I do want is something that has batteries not a A/C type receiver
I want to go totally battery so I don't need AC power....
Old 08-15-2022, 06:57 AM

Oh this hits home with me. I've been doing a regular weekly thing at a campground all summer and electrical gremlins have been the death of me. This week my Yamaha Reface DX sounded like an AK-47 through the PA. Weeks before, my FGX5 was acting up. Now I'm considering getting a battery powered AC power supply. And yeah the glare thing is a nightmare. I had that Saturday at a wedding gig. Grr...

For wireless mic, X-Vive XLR bugs work well. Just use them often. I had a condenser one crap out after only a couple uses and sitting unused for months at a time. If you get a mic/transmitter rig, AKG Perception are great for the money and 1 AA lasts 12+ hrs. Otherwise, I really like Shure GLXD with their rechargeable battery which lasts 15+ hours. For the Shure, I have the Beta58a one.
Old 08-15-2022, 08:00 PM

I have a Joyo/Lekato wireless mic connector and it works in about 60-70% of the venues I play without interference. I don't know if this is a quality issue or just a wireless issue. I have heard lots of good things about the Xvive XLR wireless mic system. But just know that ALL wireless units will fail from time to time you backup cables are a must. But when they work, they are great.
Old 08-15-2022, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I really like Shure GLXD with their rechargeable battery which lasts 15+ hours.
Shure hit it out of the ballpark when they introduced the GLXD16, but they'd hit it to the moon if they'd add a rechargeable option for the receiver too. Even if it wouldn't last as long as the transmitter, 8 hours of runtime for a minimum, 30 hours would be golden!
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 08-16-2022, 07:21 AM

Anyone have a chance to try these?
Not sure I want to change Mic's from what I have but... this is exactly what I want... it's more about the battery receiver and then the battery mic's

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...set-470-960mhz
Old 08-16-2022, 07:23 AM

I also have the Boss XLR bugs that take AA batteries. A little noisy, but works similarly to the X-Vive.
Old 08-16-2022, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
Shure hit it out of the ballpark when they introduced the GLXD16, but they'd hit it to the moon if they'd add a rechargeable option for the receiver too. Even if it wouldn't last as long as the transmitter, 8 hours of runtime for a minimum, 30 hours would be golden!
I agree...the idea behind wireless is also AC-less ... I would like a battery option for the mic and receiver to go along with my EAE M2-6 which has the battery option..

So that I have a nice clean setup....No-cords for people to trip over(Ever notice people like to walk where there are cords?

No AC power strips, extension cords etc.,

Just an amp on a speaker pole and me with a guitar and mic stand

Nice and clean...easy setup and take down
Old 08-16-2022, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Nothing to add but encouragement as much of this sounds too familiar! Good job keeping your cool and persevering in the face of these challenges.

After gigging for a couple years I've started taking what I call a 'just in case' kit that typically stays in the vehicle as I usually don't need anything in it. However! at present my kit includes a long extension chord, extra guitar and mic cable, DI box, a 30' speaker cable, lightning charger cable for my ipad with a usb/ac adapter and all of the possible batteries I might need. I've yet to have to get any of this out for a gig, but it's nice to have it along 'just in case'.
Old 08-17-2022, 07:17 AM

I was a little weak in PA/Acoustic amp stuff and messaged EAE about the PAD switches....
Seem if I want more volume turn them off, It seems they are the same as on a condenser mic(If they have)....reduce the signal, Pad switch pushed in...So if your using a hot mic and having feedback problems...you use the PAD switch same on a your guitar whether it's active or not...

So I had them pushed in (On) so I'll try them "off" and see if I can get more volume so that I have a little room to adjust
Old 08-19-2022, 06:23 AM

The Sennheiser setup is extremely pricey and since I have no experience with it, so I couldn’t vouch for its reliability. I use the Lekato version and have had an issue at only one venue.
It operates at 5.8 GHz. as opposed to 2.4 so there is less chance for interference

Here:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256...xx__1660911697

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification