The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-15-2022, 04:53 AM

So just for clarification, is there any tuners that drop in or would there need to be alterations to make it work?
Old 08-15-2022, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
So just for clarification, is there any tuners that drop in or would there need to be alterations to make it work?
Those same stewmac strap tuners that come on a DF will fit right onto
an old J-35. My basket-case J-35 had unusably worn out original
tuners on it, and I swapped them with stewmacs so I could use
the guitar. After a while, the J-35 got some work done to it at the luthiers and he
put a set of waverly open backs on it.

So... if you take your strap tuners off and they've left any marks or suntan
lines, you'll see that. And you'll have to drill new holes and plug (some of?)
the old ones...

-Mike
Old 08-15-2022, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
On the slot head version, the Waverly 3 on a plate tuners are drop in replacements as far as the screw holes are concerned. The shafts line up etc., so the only slight modification is that the Wave posts are like 1/32" larger in diameter. All you have to do is take I believe it is a 1/4' drill bit and turn it by hand - don't even need a drill. Took me about 30 minutes to make the swap. The only other slight difference is that the screws provided with the Waverlys are smaller - so you can either use the existing Golden Era screws or order the larger screws when you order the tuners.

So, for the slothead folks, the swap is pretty easy (albeit fairly expensive, as they sell for $285). I just happened to have a 15% off coupon as a StewMac member, so they cost me around $250.

For the paddle head, looks like you have to drill and plug whether you go with 3 on a plate or individual open backs. Not a difficult swap, but may leave some tell tale signs after the fact.

Here's my original post on the how to if interested:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=644543

Last edited by Mak2525; 08-15-2022 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-25-2022, 02:53 PM

This week I bought a nice Iris AB natural built in March 2022. Fingerboard and bridge are built from Indian Rosewood.
I have played the AB, DF and DF Smeck - the AB was my clear favourite.
I was suprised how light the AB is - 3.49 lb.

SCGC H13 custom | Iris CH Mahogani
Old 08-25-2022, 10:54 PM

I was not able to replace the GA tuners on my Iris OG slot head with the waverly plates without help from my luthier to redrill the post holes and tweak them to work. The waverly tuners would bind up in the existing holes. There are some minor differences beyond the screws which are different. It may come down to waverly's are made by stew mac in USA and the SM GA tuners are made in china, metric vs american?? I was surprised, but mine were not a drop in fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Wilder1 View Post
You know you might be right, I just checked StewMac and the Waverly posts are the same as the GAs but the screw holes are slightly different.
Old 08-26-2022, 05:18 AM
Charter Member

I am so glad both my Iris guitars, #2 and #73, came with Grover open gear tuners. I agree, I think they need to change as there’s been several complaints.
Old 08-27-2022, 09:52 AM

It's interesting that the conversation about about the use of wood/ Katalin in these guitars immediately turned into a criticism of the tuners. I own two Warerloos that came with Stew Mac tuners, and two Larrivees and a Martin 0-18 that I converted to them. With the exception of one B tuner, I have never had a problem, and they are cheaper and so much better looking with their vintage styling.

I have never cared much for chrome buttons on vintage-inspired guitars, but have never complained incessantly about them to anyone and everyone who would listen. I simply change them to some I prefer.
Old 08-27-2022, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

I've had two guitars where folks have consistently complained about the tuners, including one Iris. I must be a tuner philistine as I twist 'em and they get in tune. That being said, a really nice set of tuners do stand out as buttery smooth and accurate.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 09-10-2022, 08:15 PM

As yall's know I'm not a regular around here, just a reader mostly. Anyone have any thoughts on the CH all mahogany. Kinda thinking about getting one.
Old 09-10-2022, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
As yall's know I'm not a regular around here, just a reader mostly. Anyone have any thoughts on the CH all mahogany. Kinda thinking about getting one.
I have a regular CH and it is a sweet sounding guitar. I haven’t heard an all-mahogany CH in person, but the recordings I’ve heard sound even sweeter. Of the guitars I own or have either played or heard, I find the demos of W Sound Guitar in S. Korea to be very faithful to their sound. With that in mind, here is their demo of the all-mahogany CH:

Sounds pretty good to me…
Old 09-11-2022, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmars View Post
I was not able to replace the GA tuners on my Iris OG slot head with the waverly plates without help from my luthier to redrill the post holes and tweak them to work. The waverly tuners would bind up in the existing holes. There are some minor differences beyond the screws which are different. It may come down to waverly's are made by stew mac in USA and the SM GA tuners are made in china, metric vs american?? I was surprised, but mine were not a drop in fit.
Golden Age tuners have 6mm (0.236") posts, while Waverlys are 1/4".
Just to be clear, vintage Waverlys have no relation to modern Waverlys made by Stew Mac, other than the name.
Old 09-11-2022, 05:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I am so glad both my Iris guitars, #2 and #73, came with Grover open gear tuners. I agree, I think they need to change as there’s been several complaints.
Grovers are great tuners at half the price of waverly. These golden age tuners are on the authentic D-1 and 00-17. I didn’t think they were as awful as done here, but no reason not to swap ‘em out if preferred.
Old 09-11-2022, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
IMHO, Indian RW has never been a good choice for fingerboards (too soft and too porous). Katalox is much harder.
Glad to see a comment that has to do with the original post. John, you are 100% correct. I've seen too many IRW fretboards which are prematurely cupped.

Perhaps the change from Katalox to IRW has something to do with supply. IRW is readily available. Katalox is uncommon and you can never be sure of finding what you want at any one moment.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 09-11-2022, 07:45 AM

Not sure why all the teeth-gnashing re: GA tuners. The ones on my Waterloo turn when I need them to and are rock solid in terms of holding tune. I think many tuning problems are more attributable to poorly-cut nuts, etc. than the tuning machines themselves.
Old 09-11-2022, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
I have a regular CH and it is a sweet sounding guitar. I haven’t heard an all-mahogany CH in person, but the recordings I’ve heard sound even sweeter. Of the guitars I own or have either played or heard, I find the demos of W Sound Guitar in S. Korea to be very faithful to their sound. With that in mind, here is their demo of the all-mahogany CH:

Sounds pretty good to me…
tks for vid, but it looks likes I need to just stay off the old internet highway, no place for an older guy that can't see very good and always T'ing someone off unintentionally and I don't see well also

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion