The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Martin HD-16R (used) vs. Martin GC Special 16 Style Rosewood (new)
Martin HD-16R (used) 19 54.29%
Martin GC Special 16 Style Rosewood (new) 16 45.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2022, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacot23 View Post
Thanks for that!
Old 08-12-2022, 07:20 PM

Okay, heard again from the company selling the HD-16R Adi; they said the guy they are selling it for on consignment would take $1800, so that plus tax would total $1926.
Old 08-12-2022, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

The extra $100 to get a new guitar is worth it. I think $1,200 - $1,300 is more reasonable for a used Special D—approximately 75% of the price of a new one. If the guitars weren’t readily available, maybe that asking price would make more sense. Note too that buying new gives you the ability to return it if you don’t like it.

Now, $100 more for the HD-16R, I personally would go for it, but only you can decide if it’s going to be a guitar you’re willing to take places you wouldn’t take your HD-28. Who knows—with the red spruce top, you might like it better than your HD-28, and the HD-28 will become the beater! Or you’ll need a third guitar…

Here’s a demo by W Sound Guitars—the guitarist, JoiL, records some of the best demos in my opinion.

Last edited by sinistral; 08-12-2022 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-12-2022, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
The extra $100 to get a new guitar is worth it. I think $1,200 - $1,300 is more reasonable for a used Special D—approximately 75% of the price of a new one. If the guitars weren’t readily available, maybe that asking price would make more sense. Note too that buying new gives you the ability to return it if you don’t like it.

Now, $100 more for the HD-16R, I personally would go for it, but only you can decide if it’s going to be a guitar you’re willing to take places you wouldn’t take your HD-28. Who knows—with the red spruce top, you might like it better than your HD-28, and the HD-28 will become the beater! Or you’ll need a third guitar…

Here’s a demo by W Sound Guitars—the guitarist, JoiL, records some of the best demos in my opinion.
Yes, I decided that if I get the Special Style D, I'll get the new one. But the harder decision is still choosing between the new Special Style D and the used HD-16R. The HD-16R is listed as being in "very good" condition; it does have a very noticeable ding in the lower part of the body, just above the binding, a few more very minor dings and scratches, and a missing end pin. So, $1926 total for this HD-16R Adi and $1683 total for the new Special Style D -- which is $243 more for the HD-16R. So, you said if $100 more for the HD-16R you would go for it, but would you do that for $243 more?

Thanks for the video link.

I'm sending you a PM.
Old 08-12-2022, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
Yes, I decided that if I get the Special Style D, I'll get the new one. But the harder decision is still choosing between the new Special Style D and the used HD-16R. The HD-16R is listed as being in "very good" condition; it does have a very noticeable ding in the lower part of the body, just above the binding, a few more very minor dings and scratches, and a missing end pin. So, $1926 total for this HD-16R Adi and $1683 total for the new Special Style D -- which is $243 more for the HD-16R. So, you said if $100 more for the HD-16R you would go for it, but would you do that for $243 more?

Thanks for the video link.

I'm sending you a PM.
How tall is the saddle? Action height at 12?
Old 08-12-2022, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacot23 View Post
How tall is the saddle? Action height at 12?
I don't know. And I've learned my lesson about Martins. I sent the seller a message asking him to measure saddle height and do the straight edge test. I hope he responds tomorrow.
Old 08-13-2022, 01:13 AM
Charter Member

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again and to hell with the consequences - the best possible complement to a Martin rosewood Dread is a Martin mahogany Dread, and the best of those is a D-18. It’s the Martin Dreadnought sound for sure, but different.

My vote is for a used D-18 (Pre- or post-2012, either is good).

If you don’t, I promise you, one day you’ll wonder why you didn’t.

As always, the standard disclaimer applies - IMHO. However, I realise that YMMV, and I’m cool with that.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 08-13-2022, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again and to hell with the consequences - the best possible complement to a Martin rosewood Dread is a Martin mahogany Dread, and the best of those is a D-18. It’s the Martin Dreadnought sound for sure, but different.

My vote is for a used D-18 (Pre- or post-2012, either is good).

If you don’t, I promise you, one day you’ll wonder why you didn’t.

As always, the standard disclaimer applies - IMHO. However, I realise that YMMV, and I’m cool with that.
And I'm glad you said it!

But I just don't like mahogany. The only mahogany guitar I've ever heard that I liked is the Martin D-16 Adi that I mentioned elsewhere. Oh, and that Washburn I had. All the other Mahogany guitars I've heard -- and that's a lot -- just do nothing for me. Especially when put up against rosewood.

But since you feel so strongly about it and are so certain about the D-18, I think I'll listen a little more. It's kind of hard, though, to find a reimagined that fits within my budget. And I would have to have a reimagined for the nut width instead of the earlier ones.

Thanks for your post. You got me thinking further, and that's something I love to do. Heck, it's about the only thing I can do out here in the boonies during this Covid time.
Old 08-13-2022, 02:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
But since you feel so strongly about it and are so certain about the D-18, I think I'll listen a little more. It's kind of hard, though, to find a reimagined that fits within my budget. And I would have to have a reimagined for the nut width instead of the earlier ones.
Ha! I’m assuming you’re a US-ian? Not sure what your budget is but, if you’re looking for brand-new, have you talked to Maury?

https://www.maurysmusic.com/inc/sdet...rtin_d_18/6173

If used Reimagined D-18s are hard to find over there, I’d suggest that’s a strong indication of what great do-it-all guitars they are!

FWIW, my D-18 and HD-28V tend to be my ‘stage’ guitars when I’m playing with my acoustic band - the 28 is my DADGAD guitar because of its resonance and overtones, and the 18 is my EADGBE/Drop-D guitar because it’s a cannon that really does ‘cut through the mix’. Perfect complements to each other.

Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 08-13-2022 at 02:54 AM.
Old 08-13-2022, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Ha! I’m assuming you’re a US-ian? Not sure what your budget is but, if you’re looking for brand-new, have you talked to Maury?

https://www.maurysmusic.com/inc/sdet...rtin_d_18/6173

If used Reimagined D-18s are hard to find over there, I’d suggest that’s a strong indication of what great do-it-all guitars they are!

FWIW, my D-18 and HD-28V tend to be my ‘stage’ guitars when I’m playing with my acoustic band - the 28 is my DADGAD guitar because of its resonance and overtones, and the 18 is my EADGBE/Drop-D guitar because it’s a cannon that really does ‘cut through the mix’. Perfect complements to each other.

Yes, I live in the USA. Budget is less than $2000, or, to be more exact, $1700. I maybe could stretch that a little. D-18's are not hard to find here, but hard to find within my budget limit. Yes, I checked with Maury when looking for my HD-28. He was very helpful but at that time could not give me the discount I needed.
Old 08-13-2022, 03:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, I live in the USA. Budget is less than $2000, or, to be more exact, $1700. I maybe could stretch that a little. D-18's are not hard to find here, but hard to find within my budget limit. Yes, I checked with Maury when looking for my HD-28. He was very helpful but at that time could not give me the discount I needed.
OK, I guess we are all limited by our circumstances in one way or another. I think I’ve probably gone on for long enough now, so I’ll bow out - hopefully gracefully!

Good luck with your search, I hope you find what you’re looking for!

Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Old 08-13-2022, 05:20 AM

Quote:
At this point, I think you really have to find some way to compare a few guitars in person. I played the Special 16 Style Rosewood alongside a D18 and an HD28 and, quite frankly, didn't feel that the differences were worth the considerable price jump...so I bought the 16 and am glad I did. I certainly don't mean to offend anyone, but there exists a lot of Standard series snobbery. The fact is that Martin makes some outstanding guitars outside the standard series.
Old 08-13-2022, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmith28 View Post
At this point, I think you really have to find some way to compare a few guitars in person. I played the Special 16 Style Rosewood alongside a D18 and an HD28 and, quite frankly, didn't feel that the differences were worth the considerable price jump...so I bought the 16 and am glad I did. I certainly don't mean to offend anyone, but there exists a lot of Standard series snobbery. The fact is that Martin makes some outstanding guitars outside the standard series.
Some here say I need to go to Nashville, but that's not possible for me now. I went to Jackson, MS and Memphis, TN last fall and visited several stores, but their inventory didn't include enough variety.
Old 08-13-2022, 06:08 AM

Quote:
OK, I guess we are all limited by our circumstances in one way or another. I think I’ve probably gone on for long enough now, so I’ll bow out - hopefully gracefully!

Good luck with your search, I hope you find what you’re looking for!
Thanks. And I appreciate your contribution to this thread.
Old 08-13-2022, 06:35 AM

I’d go HD 16R because it is gloss (less noise in the sound system) and Adirondack. Never had an Adi guitar and I like Sitka, but Adi is probably an upgrade.
Furch D24 SR 12 string
Rickenbacker 330w 6 string
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion