The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-09-2022, 06:22 PM

Default Bluetooth Question

This is potentially a dumb question.

I have a Fishman 330x, without bluetooth of course. Is there a connector box or something that can act as a bluetooth module to connect to the Fishman so someone with the proper phone app can tweak the individual volumes - guitar, piano, vocals, (or perhaps only the overall volume) on the system?

It always sounds good on stage, but if for some reason it needs to be louder (which we can't tell from the stage) it would be handy to have the capabilities.

Am I just being nutty?
Old 08-10-2022, 01:52 AM

https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0DNM

This is the only way I can think of. It bypasses a few of the features of the Fishman [edit - doesn't have to] but would be a significant improvement and would be translatable when you're moving to a different (not the Fishman) system.

I haven't bought one myself as I have all these bases covered but am always looking for an excuse to do so.

Last edited by shufflebeat; 08-10-2022 at 02:01 AM.
Old 08-10-2022, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
This is potentially a dumb question.

I have a Fishman 330x, without bluetooth of course. Is there a connector box or something that can act as a bluetooth module to connect to the Fishman so someone with the proper phone app can tweak the individual volumes - guitar, piano, vocals, (or perhaps only the overall volume) on the system?

It always sounds good on stage, but if for some reason it needs to be louder (which we can't tell from the stage) it would be handy to have the capabilities.

Am I just being nutty?
Hi Mr Bill

Wireless (Bluetooth style) introduces delay - even if it's short. So you need to learn to adjust to it. And some is more robust than others (not as subject to dropout or interference).

I still prefer wires.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-10-2022, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Mr Bill

Wireless (Bluetooth style) introduces delay - even if it's short. So you need to learn to adjust to it. And some is more robust than others (not as subject to dropout or interference).

I still prefer wires.

Passing control signals over B/T is not the same as passing audio. A tiny delay between iPad and mixer makes no difference.

Dropout, on the other hand...

B/T is fine for this purpose, just don't stray too far.
Old 08-10-2022, 02:33 PM

Shufflebeat and ljguitar: Thanks guys! This gives me some direction for research. I appreciate it.
Old 08-10-2022, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
Passing control signals over B/T is not the same as passing audio. A tiny delay between iPad and mixer makes no difference.

Dropout, on the other hand...

B/T is fine for this purpose, just don't stray too far.
Hi sb
You are right, of course. There is no delay setting volumes, tone, mix etc. wirelessly.

I had a friend who played in a band which used the Behringer software (with one of the mixers with only bluetooth control) and they had dropout issues till they bought a stand alone router. That solved it.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-10-2022, 10:37 PM

Quote:
https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0DNM

This is the only way I can think of. It bypasses a few of the features of the Fishman [edit - doesn't have to] but would be a significant improvement and would be translatable when you're moving to a different (not the Fishman) system.

I haven't bought one myself as I have all these bases covered but am always looking for an excuse to do so.
I've been looking at that myself, but since I already have a Behringer XR18 it would be a bit redundant. It looks great for duo or solo performer, however.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 08-11-2022, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
I've been looking at that myself, but since I already have a Behringer XR18 it would be a bit redundant. It looks great for duo or solo performer, however.
Same - I have a Mackie dl1608 and A&H Qu-Pac for the band but can't help admiring that Behringer have managed to squeeze so much into a small box.

For the record, I never thought I'd be promoting a Behringer product, how times change.
Old 08-11-2022, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi sb
You are right, of course. There is no delay setting volumes, tone, mix etc. wirelessly.

I had a friend who played in a band which used the Behringer software (with one of the mixers with only bluetooth control) and they had dropout issues till they bought a stand alone router. That solved it.
The Flow8 is the only Behringer mixer I'm aware of that is actually Bluetooth controlled but am happy to be corrected.

I suspect the issue your friend might have been dealing with was the well documented hopelessly under-specced built-in wi-fi (not b/t) router in the XR series which was easily solved by adding an external router made by someone who cares.

I may be totally missing something.
Old 08-11-2022, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The Flow8 is the only Behringer mixer I'm aware of that is actually Bluetooth controlled but am happy to be corrected.

I suspect the issue your friend might have been dealing with was the well documented hopelessly under-specced built-in wi-fi (not b/t) router in the XR series which was easily solved by adding an external router made by someone who cares.

I may be totally missing something.
Hi sb
I'm guessing you are correct.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 08-11-2022, 09:29 AM

Quote:
For the record, I never thought I'd be promoting a Behringer product, how times change.
I understand that. I had heard horror stories, but I have multiple Behringer products. Some are clones, like the guitar pedals (Boss), but others, like my XR18 digital mixer and X-Touch control surface, are first-class products in their own right.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification