The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-08-2022, 07:02 PM

Default New Neck Day (the continuing story of the Esquire)

Recently I built two Tele style Partscasters. The first, a Fiesta Red conventional 2 pickup style with matching Fiesta Red headstock neck...

Then I built a Fiesta Red Esquire...

But I didn't like the color, it was just to pink/orange, too bright so to say...

So I swapped the body for British racing green, and I liked that, then I added an anodized pickguard which I really liked, and then finally, I found a really good deal on a Fender Pro Tele neck. So out with the OG neck, and in with the American Pro Tele neck. And voila, I'm finally satisfied.

So although all the guts are the same, it's like a totally different guitar.

Why did I swap out necks?

I love the satin finish (and the flame) on the back of the neck, with the gloss on the face.

I really like having access to the truss-rod from the headstock

high ratio and smooth tuning

I think the white dots look great on the dark rosewood fingerboard

I love how the dark fingerboard neck blends with the green body and the anodized guard!

Funny, when I swapped the bodies there was no tone change (they were both poplar, and about the same weight), but with the new neck, the tone changed quite a bit. Fortunately, it stills sounds great! The new neck came with Kluson locking revolution tuners, which have a nice feel, look vintage from the front, and are much easier to use than the Fender/Gotoh lockers that were on the other neck. They weigh more than the other tuners, and that typically would bug me, but the guitar is fairly lightweight, and it doesn't neck dive, so I don't think it's a big deal.

Last edited by rockabilly69; 08-09-2022 at 01:08 AM.
Old 08-08-2022, 07:08 PM

You have some VERY GOOD taste in designing you custom built PARTSCASTERS, Rocky. You knock me back on my heels every time. That hot rod green with the new neck and anodized pick guard is just a killer. Good on you my friend.

Last edited by Chickee; 08-08-2022 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-08-2022, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
You have some VERY GOOD taste in designing you custom built PARTSCASTERS, Rocky. You knock me back on my heels every time. That hot rod green with the new neck is just a killer. Good on you my friend.
Thanks Frank, I think I'm just infatuated with the Fender designs. I'm glad you like them, I sure have fun building them!!!

Hey did you notice the little ashtray bridge cover on the green one? It's a cool Fender idea and it keeps your hand off the saddles...

Are you getting excited for the father/son Tele (EART) project???
Old 08-08-2022, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Thanks Frank, I think I'm just infatuated with the Fender designs. I'm glad you like them, I sure have fun building them!!!

Hey did you notice the little ashtray bridge cover on the green one? It's a cool Fender idea and it keeps your hand off the saddles...

Are you getting excited for the father/son Tele (EART) project???
No way….how did I miss that cover?? I’ve never seen that item before. Where did you find that? Would it work on my T-style build? It has a stock Bridge plate and soon to have brass articulated barrels, as soon as Danny boy gets here😂

Yes, Dano and I have big plans for the end of this month. The time is going to fly by im sure!!
Break in that new neck now Rocky!
fd
Old 08-08-2022, 07:36 PM

Quote:
No way….how did I miss that cover?? I’ve never seen that item before. Where did you find that? Would it work on my T-style build? It has a stock Bridge plate and soon to have brass articulated barrels, as soon as Danny boy gets here��

Yes, Dano and I have big plans for the end of this month. The time is going to fly by im sure!!
Break in that new neck now Rocky!
fd
This is the bridge... https://darrenriley.com/store/fender...es-0990808000/

It only works where the bridge mounting holes are behind where the 6 string pass through holes are. Certain Tele bodies are that way, like the American Pro Tele, but not vintage style bodies.

This is what I mean... https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...le-fingerboard

BTW a few people call me Dano too Have fun with your son!!!

Last edited by rockabilly69; 08-08-2022 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-08-2022, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
This is the bridge... https://darrenriley.com/store/fender...es-0990808000/

It only works where the bridge mounting holes are behind where the 6 string pass through holes are. Certain Tele bodies are that way, like the American Pro Tele, but not vintage style bodies.

This is what I mean... https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...le-fingerboard

BTW a few people call me Dano too Have fun with your son!!!
I think i’m SOL on this. How dissapointing…
Old 08-08-2022, 07:53 PM

Love the BRG and anodized pickguard combination.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-08-2022, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Love the BRG and anodized pickguard combination.
Thanks Frank, years ago, I used to have a 70's MG Midget with BRG paint and creme colored leather and that's what gave me the idea! The car sucked, the guitar... much better

Last edited by rockabilly69; 08-08-2022 at 11:35 PM.
Old 08-09-2022, 01:12 AM

Quote:
I think i’m SOL on this. How dissapointing…
Bummer Frank!
Old 08-09-2022, 05:06 AM
Charter Member

That neck is gorgeous.
Old 08-09-2022, 09:05 AM

Thank you, the guy I bought it from said he looked for many months to find one with that much flame
Old 08-09-2022, 11:05 AM

You do amazing jobs with your partscasters, Daniel. So you upgraded one of your guitars with a new body and a new neck... brings the question when is it no longer the same guitar .
Old 08-09-2022, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
You do amazing jobs with your partscasters, Daniel. So you upgraded one of your guitars with a new body and a new neck... brings the question when is it no longer the same guitar .
In my comment above I said just that Dru. But I didn't do the upgrades at the same time. I played it for awhile with the new body, and frankly it sounded identical, but when I changed the neck it changed the sound quite a bit. Luckily it's an equally good sound. And the spare parts I gave to good friend (he gave me the pickup for mine), and we built in an Esquire for him too.

It's a fun hobby! And neither one of us has ever owned an Esquire before this. We both LOVE them. With a nice hot bridge pickup, they are the Fender equivalent of a Les Paul Jr which I also love. My girlfriend's step dad is a fantastic auto body man, who shoots some killer paint jobs, so I thought about building a Jr and have him paint it for me.
Old 08-09-2022, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Another cool guitar for you, Daniel! You are amazing! Good for you! Everything looks awesome!!!

- Glenn
Old 08-09-2022, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Another cool guitar for you, Daniel! You are amazing! Good for you! Everything looks awesome!!!

- Glenn
Thanks Glenn I always appreciate your comments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars