The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-26-2022, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Default How to send demo album?

I have 10 at-home recorded original songs that I’ve ordered into an album, and I’ve put them into my own Apple Music account, so I can listen to them start to finish. But I stupidly don’t really know how to share the album with others (mostly just friends until I can get some better recordings done). If I share them on Google Drive, they come up as 10 separate mp3s, and have to be selected one after another. I also tried sharing an Apple Music playlist, as my friend couldn’t access the songs on her account.

Short of going old school and burning a cd, what am I missing here?
Old 07-26-2022, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi2 View Post
I have 10 at-home recorded original songs that I’ve ordered into an album, and I’ve put them into my own Apple Music account, so I can listen to them start to finish. But I stupidly don’t really know how to share the album with others (mostly just friends until I can get some better recordings done). If I share them on Google Drive, they come up as 10 separate mp3s, and have to be selected one after another. I also tried sharing an Apple Music playlist, as my friend couldn’t access the songs on her account.

Short of going old school and burning a cd, what am I missing here?
I don't know what the current status is, but in the past many folks have opened Bandcamp accounts to do exactly what you're looking to do. Songs can be arranged in albums and you can set your songs or albums to be freely listened to.

Soundcloud might be another option, but I'm not sure how uploaded material is organized for consecutive streaming.
Old 07-26-2022, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

On soundcloud all the separate recordings of yours can be listed. Don't know about autoplay one after the another but a simple click on one of the recordings will play it.
If you want one recording to play automatically after the other you can yourself combine all of your recordings into a single wav or mp3 file and upload that to such as
soundcloud (whose file size limit is four gigabits).

Personally I have my own webspace and also use youtube.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-26-2022, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Thanks guys, I definitely have my eye on uploading to Bandcamp or SoundCloud once I get the aforementioned better recordings done. But I was going to wait to to establish a presence online until I’m more satisfied with my songs, as well as recording quality. I didn’t want to put out anything subpar….so I was hoping there was a way to just directly share the album with a few people right now.
Old 07-26-2022, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...I was hoping there was a way to just directly share the album with a few people right now.
You can get a free Dropbox account and set up a folder. Then you can email the link to whomever you want and they can download the music from their computer.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

Last edited by jim1960; 07-26-2022 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-26-2022, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys, I definitely have my eye on uploading to Bandcamp or SoundCloud once I get the aforementioned better recordings done. But I was going to wait to to establish a presence online until I’m more satisfied with my songs, as well as recording quality. I didn’t want to put out anything subpar….so I was hoping there was a way to just directly share the album with a few people right now.
Yes, Dropbox them or simply send them the "album" on a flash drive, they are cheap. You can even get flash drives that are slightly thicker than a business card so they can be stuck in an envelope and mailed.
Old 07-26-2022, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Yes, Dropbox them or simply send them the "album" on a flash drive, they are cheap. You can even get flash drives that are slightly thicker than a business card so they can be stuck in an envelope and mailed.
Not a bad idea re:the flash drives.

I’m wondering with Dropbox though, will the tracks still show up as independent mp3s?
Old 07-27-2022, 05:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I’m wondering with Dropbox though, will the tracks still show up as independent mp3s?
Yes, they will be independent mp3s if you upload independent mp3s.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 07-27-2022, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Not a bad idea re:the flash drives.

The problem is you have to consider what "technology level" your intended listeners are at. It's tough enough for folks who are fairly tech literate, but if you're target is the casual listener then your sequenced songs might not be easy for them to listen to and navigate around.

For "easy consumption" it might be best to simply load a single Youtube "video" with all the sequenced tracks in proper playing order. You can use a single jpg image, song lyrics, etc. as the "video" portion of your upload. You can even index each song title in the Youtube information box so listeners can instantly move to whatever song they wish to listen to.

The Youtube preferences can be set when you upload so the video is "private" and only viewable by those that you provide the direct link to.

You can do all of the editing and sequencing in something as simple as Reaper, which I use for my Youtube video editing.
Old 07-27-2022, 01:22 PM

I'd probably upload them on Soundcloud and then organize them in a playlist. Then just share the link to the playlist.
Old 07-28-2022, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
The problem is you have to consider what "technology level" your intended listeners are at. It's tough enough for folks who are fairly tech literate, but if you're target is the casual listener then your sequenced songs might not be easy for them to listen to and navigate around.

For "easy consumption" it might be best to simply load a single Youtube "video" with all the sequenced tracks in proper playing order. You can use a single jpg image, song lyrics, etc. as the "video" portion of your upload. You can even index each song title in the Youtube information box so listeners can instantly move to whatever song they wish to listen to.

The Youtube preferences can be set when you upload so the video is "private" and only viewable by those that you provide the direct link to.

You can do all of the editing and sequencing in something as simple as Reaper, which I use for my Youtube video editing.
Yeah, a private link to a YouTube video would probably work well
Old 07-28-2022, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yeah, a private link to a YouTube video would probably work well
For youtube I keep it simple and use Windows Movie Maker (free), load a picture into it and a sound track (wav or mp3) file.

I do not use a video but load in a picture that is the right size for youtube (you can crop and resize the picture before hand if you wish).
Make the picture display the length of the soundtrack. With a bit of practice it just takes a few minutes to do. One thing about youtube
is that they often stick ads in there before your music starts.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD