The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-28-2022, 09:11 AM
Guest 61722

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas007 View Post
Just one more thing to add.
I'm 62 yrs old and can't sing, but with just the rhythm guitar part it doesn't really seem like the song if you don't put the words with it.
I would like to invite you to think a little differently about your voice and about singing. Not everyone has a voice that would be considered traditionally "melodious," myself in particular. But everyone does have a voice, and I think everyone can sing. Wherever you are today, if you keep singing and keep practicing, your singing will improve. Will you ever sound like Paul McCartney? Probably not. But you will be able to sing and play along accompanying yourself, and be happy with what you're hearing. And also feel more comfortable singing for other people.

There are a few tricks to make it easier. Try to figure out which key(s) suit your voice best. If you're subscribed to Ultimate Guitar tabs, you can use the transpose button at the foot of the page to change the key (and the chords will also change automatically) up and down. You can also use a capo on your guitar to change the key w/out having to change the chord positions. Certain keys will be easier for you to sing because they complement your voice's natural range. It's take a bit of experimenting. If you sing in a key that complements your natural range, you'll instantly sound tons better. On some songs you'll sound better in one key. But on a different song, you'll sound better in a different key.

There are some other easy things you can do to instantly sound better. Your posture, breathing, enunciation, etc. all make a difference. There are loads of videos on You Tube with techniques:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqjvl35YeZk

Just like you're practicing to learn the guitar, you need to practice the same to learn how to sing. It's a skill everyone can learn. The idea is to figure out how to get the most out of the voice you have. I'm thinking about Bob Dylan right now. His voice is not sweet at all, but he's a very powerful singer. The impact of your voice comes from your heart and your emotions. Singing can make you feel vulnerable, but that's where all the music comes from. It also has to do with your personal connection to the song, and how much are you willing to reveal about yourself. Singing = naked.

Selecting what songs to sing, then what keys to sing them in, then how you want to actually play them on the guitar, which chord shapes you'll use, etc. that whole process is an art form. I'm constantly experimenting and tweaking looking for the best combination for myself. There may be a song I really enjoy listening to, but when I try to play it and sing it, I can't find or put together an arrangement that works with my voice and my current skill level on guitar. I just set it aside, and keep looking, knowing I'll come back to it when my skills are farther along.

You're at the very beginning of a journey that will last for the rest of your life if you decide to stick with it, and I hope you will. Music is one of life's greatest joys.

PS I'm 58; you're in good company around here. Many of us are "more mature" guitarists.
Old 07-28-2022, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

I also feel my voice is not good. Of course completely untrained as well.

I also agree that there is a lot of music that just is more complete with the melodic addition of the the voice.

Thing is, since I have no aspirations to play for money or perform beyond for my self, family and small grouping of friends (if even that), I don’t need to have a well trained and developed voice. What I need is to develop the ability to complement (not distract from) the music. That is a much lower bar to clear, IMO.
Old 07-29-2022, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas007 View Post
Just one more thing to add.
I'm 62 yrs old and can't sing, but with just the rhythm guitar part it doesn't really seem like the song if you don't put the words with it.
It's a feel thing with the way you play the notes and strum....
Hum the toon as you play it and your strumming hand will try to compensate naturally,
Listen to the song over and over to get the melody into your head....
Don't be locked into playing it exactly like the original...Play it your way
Old 07-30-2022, 04:02 PM

As a beginner, pick one thing to focus on at a time. Since chords are essential to playing a song, start there. If you have a simple 3 chord song, practice strumming a basic down stroke for 4 beats, then moving to the next chord, back and forth until you can smoothly change from one chord to the next. Now you start singing, just using your basic down stroke. Just focus on keeping time and changing the chords smoothly. When you can accompany your singing with this simple strum, you can start trying a down-up pattern. Be patient, enjoy the journey.

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut
Old 07-30-2022, 05:06 PM

Even if you don't count your self a singer.. you really do need understand the cadence of the lyric to the song. and I'm not one to really pay attention to strum patterns.. my favorite players are rock steady to
the beat but they fall well outside of a set strum pattern.. yes it's a tough task.. I was in a band once and we fought over it... lol.. but now I'm pretty happy with my rhythm playing.. I think beat and developing a good sense of time is the most important thing once you have that all the other stuff comes more easy.. but getting that feel is not easy.. finding the pocket as it were.. takes... time..

Scuzzo
https://soundclick.com/Scuzzo

Electric Cowbell Project
https://soundclick.com/r/bkpli

Sorry,, it's a bit hacky, and it's all electric, new to the acoustic thing.

Last edited by Scuzzo; 07-30-2022 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-30-2022, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

I live with a musician who has been playing, recording and teaching for over forty years now. Her advice is ALWAYS to slow down to a point where you can play through the song successfully, in time and with the chord changes. Then gradually speed up a little at a time, but stay at each intermediate level far longer than you think you need - just to let it all sink in that much more. And, of course, play with a metronome. After a while you'll notice the metronome just sort of disappears - when you really sync up to it and that's how you know you're in time. I've watched her do that even for major parts in movie scores or tv show soundtracks that are often written without regard to the ability of the musicians but only for the action on the screen.

I guarantee that if you start slow and easy that within a month what you thought was impossible will become almost automatic. It really will.

And for those who think singing and playing guitar is hard, and I've been an intermediate couch player for forty years, after she gave me my first and only lesson on her instrument, the accordion, I had a new appreciation for just how easy guitar was compared to that monstrosity of an instrument. The squeeze box takes difficult and hand coordination to a new level, but I still get to laugh whenever she tries to pick up one of my guitars.
'02 Goodall GC
'20 Gibson Southern Jumbo
Deering Maple Blossom
'62 Danectro Longhorn Bass
UAD Apollo x8p, Apollo Twin
Genelec 8351B's Studio Monitors
Genelec 7370A Sub
Lauten Audio LT-386
Old 08-11-2022, 07:58 PM

I'm currently trying to work my way back into carrying riffs and lead lines while singing, something I could do fairly well a long time ago.

Whats helping me is sort memorising "Checkpoints", places where hitting a particular note should line up with singing a certain word, say evey line or so. Once I've come up with a series of these throughout piece it gets easyer, the parts wander independantly as they may, but being aware of the points where they periodically intersect rhythmicly helps keep everything together.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write