The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-24-2022, 09:42 PM

Default Kinnaird Guitars Student Build: The Trilogy

Legend has it this picture was taken at the entrance of County Road 630 out in East Texas, where a half mile in will lead one to a little slice of heaven-Kinnaird Guitars workshop. I spent the past week with Steve and Ryan on my third student build, this time tackling the vaunted 12 string.

I picked their tried and true SJ body size (16" lower bout width) for a big, bold sound but with an added twist. I've always encouraged them to approach my student builds as R&D opportunities to try out new ideas. My first student build (aka my desert island guitar) took the 00-12 template and made it a deep body with an 25.4" scale length. Last year we added a manzer wedge to a dreadnought. This time around we designed the 12 string to have a short scale; a new design for Steve and Ryan. It makes sense to me-less tension on the fingers (as if there isn't enough?) and as Steve said, "it'll be plenty loud enough!" It was enlightening to see them design a new bracing pattern and help draw it out on the soundboard:

I'll be adding more pictures over the next couple of posts but suffice it to say, this is one of the high point in the year for me. As they say, the proof is in the pudding so onto some pictures!
Old 07-24-2022, 10:27 PM

We picked a beautiful port orford cedar top (fun fact: this is the sister top to BlackKeys36 poc/koa 000-12). Here I am routing the top to inlay the rosette. They say the third's time the charm... well this time it only took one explanation from Ryan on how to use the jig!

Fast forwarding a bit, here's the finished rosette. A little bling but hey, it's a 12 string! You can also the label with our signatures.

Here I am working on the back, a set of tasmanian blackwood. Cutting it to shape on the bandsaw, thicknessing and shaping the center seam reinforcement and back braces.

We chose a backstrip to compliment the tasmanian blackwood:
Old 07-24-2022, 10:40 PM

Next up is the sides. We thicknessed the sides and then trimmed them to length after bending. We didn't get a picture of it but bending the tasmanian blackwood was a much easier experience than last year with honduran rosewood!

After that, I profile the sides to match the radius of the back. This is after the neck and end blocks are glued in.

Here I am with a rasp clearing off some excess material to have the sides flush to the back.

Next, we rout notices into the lining to accept the back braces.

We now have the backs and side assembly in the mold!
Old 07-24-2022, 10:54 PM

Onto the top. After receiving instruction on how far to carve, I work on the braces to bring the port orford cedar to life!

After sanding the braces, here's the finished top:

Even after three times, it's crazy to think that by the end of the third day we have a closed box!

Here I am removing excess material from the top to have it flush to the sides, which are leveled flat via sanding and a card scraper.

I met an old friend, and became reacquainted with driving the bus.
Before:

After:

Steve's setup for routing binding is confidence inspiring.

And as he says, having multiple sets of hands helps to glue purfling and binding!

Old 07-24-2022, 11:07 PM

I don't have too many pictures for all of the steps involving the neck, but here I am drilling tuner holes and thicknessing with the Safe-T-Planer.

Here's a shot of the headplate and fretboard. The headplate is a bookmatched piece of tucarensis from my first student build. The fretboard is madagascar rw.

And here's a picture with the honduran rw 12 string bridge pinned for correct placement.

And of course, a picture of the back. The neck is made out of cherry with a center lamination of tiger myrtle which is also used the heel cap. The rear headplate is mora.
Old 07-25-2022, 12:07 AM
Charter Member

Smile Oooohhhhh, yessss

Three! Yow!!!

Looks really YUMMY

Go, kids, go

Thanks for sharing!!!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 07-25-2022, 07:33 AM

That looks absolutely perfect! Great job.
Old 07-25-2022, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Vasu, you are quite a trail blazer with this your 3rd student build. This 12 string looks great. Please bring it over for me to try out when you have the finished guitar. If it's anything like your first two it will sound fantastic.
Old 07-25-2022, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on your third student build, Vasu!

You look right at home in the shop going through the paces.

It looks amazing, and I'm sure it will sound wonderful!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 07-25-2022, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

You have been busy Vasu…
Old 07-25-2022, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
You have been busy Vasu…
Oh yes Bob, I was busy but for a different reason . You are in for a real treat my friend!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Congrats on your third student build, Vasu!

You look right at home in the shop going through the paces.

It looks amazing, and I'm sure it will sound wonderful!
Thank you Kevin! Your CS really knocked my socks off, I'm looking forward to playing it at BIG. I'm going to need that model in the collection too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodahdoug View Post
Vasu, you are quite a trail blazer with this your 3rd student build. This 12 string looks great. Please bring it over for me to try out when you have the finished guitar. If it's anything like your first two it will sound fantastic.
Thanks a lot Doug and yes of course. I'll bring the final product to your house for yourself and Cheryl to see/play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
That looks absolutely perfect! Great job.
Thanks Tom! Looking forward to showing it to you as well sometime soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Three! Yow!!!

Looks really YUMMY

Go, kids, go

Thanks for sharing!!!

Paul
Thanks Paul, really appreciate it.
Old 07-25-2022, 08:06 PM

In a foolish but never ending attempt to explore this craft, I'll be attempting to finish the guitar myself. I'm not set up to spray lacquer so that leaves the tried and true method of finishing by hand. French Polish is the seemingly obvious choice but I'll be taking a different approach and finishing the guitar using Liberon oil instead. This is the preferred method for UK luthier Kevin Aram and is the path of least resistance for me. If anyone is interested in this and would like to learn more, pm me. I have a copy of the GAL article which explains the process in detail.

The downside is it won't be a high gloss, picture perfect finish but the guitar is for me and with these woods, I think a semi-gloss/matte finish is more suitable. I'll share pictures of it once finished and strung up but until then, I owe a huge thanks to these two:

It's crazy to think an idea Ryan and I had many years ago has come this far but it was just an idea. Steve and Ryan have made it possible for myself and others, giving a real bucket list experience to the uninitiated but perpetually fascinated. Thank you Kinnaird guitars west. Until next time...
Old 07-26-2022, 06:21 AM
AGF Sponsor

Congratulations on another great build! I feel like your design and craftsmanship are perfect in a number of ways: a 12 fret neck on a 12 string is a wonderful idea, the wood combinations will really work well on a 12 string, and I’m interested in seeing how the finish looks. I used Tru-oil on a Koa ukulele a few years ago and was super happy with it. Well done.
Old 07-26-2022, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Congrats Vasu on another really cool build! Thanks for taking us along. I hope you will continue to post updates and pictures as you embark on the finishing of this instrument. I for one would love to have a front row seat to see how this next step unfolds.

Cheers,
John
Old 07-26-2022, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Vasu! Congratulations on the trifecta. I'm not the envious type, but now that I've seen this thread, I've got to admit to being a little envious now. Once again, job well done. If possible, please do share your finish process. Are you going to attempt to do your own setup too?

I'm looking forward to seeing the end result assuming it makes it to B.I.G. III.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop